Cannon or Legends?

By yagyu, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

So this will most likely spark debate, but I wonder if this and EOE/AOR are considered Legends or are included in the new Canon?

It could be possible as for the most part these are minor and new characters we are dealing with who only have very limited contact with the main characters. Also the Lucas Film people in charge of the Canon have to approve of the stories and such. While the RP was technically released before the Legends announcement (so it could technically be legends) Imperial Assault is coming to us well after the announcement.

I think it would be cool if it was canon, and we ended up with characters, gear, and other material from Rebels and canon books, games, ect.

But then on the other hand Legends has so many rich characters and material it would be great to see those as well.

Or will this be a mesh of the two?

What do you guys think as I doubt we will get a decisive answer on it from ffg for awhile to come.

Edited by yagyu

It is spelled canon. Cannon is something you shoot. :P

I imagine it will be Legends. I have no supporting evidence, but it would feel strange to me for the RPG characters to suddenly be canon when Thrawn is not. Then again, same could be said for Star Wars: Rebels.

I don't think FFG's games fall under the story groups supervision. So, both?

Well, the source material that the RPG and also X-Wing use are from what is now called the "Legends" universe. Technically, none of the games have or will violate canon as they are just that, games. But until Lucasfilm/Disney produce more Star Wars films and shows, FFG has no choice but to pull from the "Legends" realm if they need any background material.

Incidentally, much of the stuff that made up the Expanded Universe (which is now Legends) was derived from the original Star Wars RPG by West End Games back in the mid-80's. There really wasn't anything for them to pull from back then so they just had to make a lot of stuff up. Much of that stuff has gone on to become canon itself and eventually was incorporated by Lucas in the prequels, Star Wars special editions and in the Clone Wars and Star Wars:Rebels cartoon series. So yeah, you can thank the Star Wars RPG for coming up with a lot of the stuff that is now officially considered "canon", even after the recent Disney/Lucasfilm revision (like COMPNOR and the ISB which will feature prominently in the new Star Wars: Rebels show).

Edited by Otakuon

Yeah sorry, had too much whiskey when i wrote it and with my dislexia i couldnt remember if canon was that way or the other :\