Brian Lumley -- yea or nay?

By JerusalemJones, in The World of H. P. Lovecraft

This last weekend I was shopping around used book stores and came across the first and third partsof Brian Lumley's Dreamlands books. I almost picked them up, but I couldn't remember if he was one of the authors that people weren't impressed with his take on the mythos. Should I have picked up these books (especially with the new Dreamlands cycle coming out for the LCG) or did I make the right choice?

I read a couple of the Titus Crow books and they were all right. He does not write in same style of Lovecraft (most writers don't). Lumley writes things more like an adventure story. He's a fun read and you should try them.

Hopefully they'll still be there when I go back, then.

Has anyone read the short story 'Fruiting Bodies' by Lumley?

I cannot recommend it enough!

Hybrid said:

Has anyone read the short story 'Fruiting Bodies' by Lumley?

I cannot recommend it enough!

Fantastic story! So simple but oh so creepy.

I really liked "Haggopian and Other Stories." "The Taint and Other Novellas" is not that good. It has some good stories for sure, but is just not that great.

He's got a few decent short stories - and the first two Titus Crow stories are solid: mostly for the cthonians. But I would stay far, far away form his fantasy. Its just dreadful.

I really don't like his humanistic approach to the Mythos, but I like my stuff bleak.

He also wrote the "The Kiss of Bugg-Shash" which is a classic Mythos short story. As for his novels, "The Burrowers Beneath" should not be missed..especially if you enjoy Cthonians.

Personally I can't stand his writing style nor his take on the Mythos - makes it too sci-fi less horror IMO.

I've recently read a collection of short stories "The Nonsuch and Others" from Subterranean Press and enjoyed them enough to be interested in picking up some more of his work, but haven't gotten around to it yet; my to-read stack is threateningly tall right now.

I only read Lovecraft

I have to say from a Lovecraft perspective, Lumley is a hack. Kthanid, anyone? Yuck.

Actually, from almost every perpective Lumley is a hack. The original Necroscope was his only real acheivement. The very early Titus Crow stories were ok, the rest of his work is fairly dire.

K xx

Some of his early stuff which so obviously apes Lovecraft's style is risible. However I thought them okay on the whole. The Taint is worthwhile reading whilst holidaying in Cornwall. I suppose there are only so many times you can read Lovecraft. Ignore that last statement I was only joking.

Love both his Mythos stuff and his Necroscope novels. His Necroscope novels would make great action/horror movies.