Happy And Sad: Mine For $5

By guest530780, in Beowulf: The Legend

Went back to my hometown for Memorial Day Weekend, with my first chance to bomb around town for a couple years. My dad was driving my mom, my wife and me around town to see the changes since I last played tourist, and the ladies kept wanting to stop at all the yard sales people were having.

Finally, my dad stops at one. And on a nice display rack by the family's garage is a still-shrink-wrapped copy of Beowulf, for $5. YES! I pay for that and a pair of brand-new jeans my wife found, and while pulling out the money my wife asks the 50-something lady if I tried to haggle on the prices. I said "No" because I was already getting a great deal on the game. Hearing that, the lady tells how the game came from her daughter's store, "The Game Zone," which she had to close down this year.

The Beowulf game was the last one she had left for sale. Everything else had been sold before I got there. So I got a great deal on this game, but missed out on a bunch of Fantasy Flight Games stuff as well as some war games and Euros. But I do feel worse for the lady who had to close her game store down. Sad that the economy is indeed hitting our hobby.

My hometown is Alma, Michigan by the way...

And my first go-round with Beowulf was quite enjoyable...

Torbal said:

her daughter's store, "The Game Zone," which she had to close down this year.

I hate to hear about game stores going under, especially in Michigan! Lord knows anyone involved with the automotive industry can use some levity / entertainment right now!

Rogue said:

Torbal said:

her daughter's store, "The Game Zone," which she had to close down this year.

I hate to hear about game stores going under, especially in Michigan! Lord knows anyone involved with the automotive industry can use some levity / entertainment right now!

i agree...but here is some good news. Orygun game stores are doin' pretty good with the way things are?!?