Wave 3 is out

By lars16, in Mutant Chronicles

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=231

what do we think? I'm a little underwhelmed. It appears to be a flesh out your army more then it is an add new units to your army.

I am most excited about the bauhaus box as it finally gets a 'tank' out there, plus i love the Venusian Ranger molds.

The brotherhood one i am going to have to buy (silly brotherhood appealing to me) as there are new units, but i'm not thrilled about getting 2 bronze and 2 silver in a box (and why does Algeroth get the only new gold?).

The capital and Algeroth boxes are almost passes for me. i was lucky enough to 'win' a gold level Ezzy and i bought 2 starters so i have 1 gold and 2 silver ezzy's (and doubt i'd run more then that in an army list) . And whiel there is a new unit in the capital box it is only a bronze and i'd have to 'pay' for two extra units that i hardly use and have 2 of already via the starters.

Super happy with the Vulkan! But again.. only one in the pack. I totally understand that FFG want to sell this first batch of minis, and there might even be different warpacks out when new minis need to be released.

I'm mostly psyched about the Map Packs though... REALLY looking forward to that That's some pretty good news for this game and show alot of promise for it. Also the Imperial/Ilian box set will be interesting, maybe some expanded rules or something will be included.

The Bauhaus pack is very good : you get a battlesuit at last, and the silver rank venusian ranger, which was not in Venusian Command and is the best of the bunch (and his black color scheme is cool !).

For the Brotherhood, you don't get gold units, but you get one of their best silver unit (the sacred warrior), and what's left of the mortificators. If you intend to play against Algeroth, this booster is a must (both the Sacred Warrior and the Moritificator Shades become deadly against demons !).

The Capitol booster doesn't seem like much, but you get the chance to get the bronze rangers at last, which are very good bronze units, and can benefit from the boni granted by the other rangers. An all ranger Capitol force is deadly, and those two bronze rangers allow you to field one quite easily. The Silver banshees are good silver units against demons and their bunch of two hexes monsters.

The Algeroth booster is the least appealing : you get one gold Ezoghoul, which is one of the best goldies of the game (and one of the deadliest Algeroth figs), but you also get two silver Ezzies, which I think are sub-par (and you already got one in the starter). Perhaps getting more than one in your army could make them more viable (your foe won't focus on it like he does during starter-format games, and they're more likely to get within melee range). Still, this booster is a must for an Algeroth player, if only for the Ravager. I suspect playing a hord of Ezzies could have an interesting psychological impact on your foe.

Here in Spain we're still waiting for the wave 2 llorando.gif

There's a bunch of players at my store waiting for other armies to start with the game: Lots of Bauhaus and Brotherhood who are getting a bit disappointed for the delais, and a few are waiting for Imperial and Cibertronic (nobody have asked me about Mishima yet...).

I want new figures!!! enfadado.gif

Well, ive got most of my orders, sadly there were few that were broken and some stuff im still waiting, sucks to live in Finland... lengua.gif

Just hoping that my wave 3 orders will arrive before cristmas...

Well.. I live in Norway, and I haven't seen the game in any FLGS, But I tell you... ebay. Ordered 2 Starters Wave 1 and Wave 2 in two orders. And it arrived here by 4-5 days. The thing is people, these warpacks are super light. They weigh almost nothing. Like sending a letter. So if you need some warpacks, don't hesitate in ordering from abroad (if your FLGS aren't ordering any that is). The shipping won't come up to much. Just my tip though! Going to order Wave 3 as soon as more stores on ebay have them. Just search 'Mutant Chronicles' and you'll find them.

Mr.Glum said:

...., and a few are waiting for Imperial and Cibertronic (nobody have asked me about Mishima yet...).

Are there any plans for Cybertronic??? sorpresa.gif

This would be really great - especially since a friend of mine (who is a MC-fan and a Cyber-freak from the beginning on) said: "As long as there is no Cybertronic, its not MC to me - just another game, which looks a little bit similar." And he just said aloud, what I am thinking in secret.

When will there be any news about Imperial (my absolute favorite)? Any plans for Mishima?

FFG are using UWZ as a reference, and Cybertronic is included in the UWZ at least, but I'm not sure this time around. I really doubt it though..(better to be pleaseantly surprised if they are). Who wouldn't want robots? It could give this game some super flavor with some Cybertronic units.

Imperial will be released in 2009. Just make sure to get some warpacks and starters keeping this game "alive". The more sales FFG gets, the more releases we'll have. :)

I still haven't heard anything about Cybertronic, but you can't make a MC game and make different armies of the Legion but not include the rest of the corps, don't you think so?

It's like WH 40K Dawn Of War: after all the expansions, you get the Dark Eldars, the TAU and the Necrons, the 3 newests armies in the boardgame, even that weird Sisters of Battle, but still you don't have the Tyranids. Something fails there...

Hear, hear.

The new 3rd edition of the MC RPG doesn't have Cybertronic (they've changed the name to Sundiata), and the main reason is because Paradox Entertainment (the owners of the license) didn't want Cybertronic anymore. I don't know why though, but because of that I'm sceptical if we'll see Cybertronic in the MC Miniatures Game as well.. Sadly.

To FFG... People want Cybertronic! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Sundiata is the "future" version of Cybertronic. The RPG is located in a far future from the "classical" setting, for copyright reasons (Coral Beach know much better than I do). FFG's MC, though, is in pure Cybertronic era (since Mitch Hunter or Max Steiner are included) ! So if the game lives long enough, we'll see Cybertronic. No doubt about this !

Paptimus said:

Sundiata is the "future" version of Cybertronic.

No, it isnt. Just the approach to this story element is similar, the whole rest is completely different. Sundiata will be more of a stilyzed natural scientific orientated high civilization culture with very strong arabic/islamic influence (comparable to the islamic nations during ca. 1000-1300 AD - the time period where they were at their zenith, both scientifically and militarily). There is nothing left of the Borg-like, cyberpunk, weird-tech megacorporation we all learned to love.

Paptimus said:

FFG's MC, though, is in pure Cybertronic era (since Mitch Hunter or Max Steiner are included) ! So if the game lives long enough, we'll see Cybertronic. No doubt about this !

I am sorry to say that, but this means nothing. As we have seen in the Mutant Chronicles-Film, where all was mixed together in a horrible mishmash. In the movie we can see both Mitch Hunter and Max Steiner, although they (according to the official MC-timeline) werent even born in 2700, Valerie Duval is from Mishima, the story is settled on earth, etc... And there is no Cybertronic in the movie, too.

So, if they dont stick with the official MC-story in the movie, why should FFG do this? sad.gif

Well, when have you seen a movie adaptation that respects the original? Except for the Lord of the Rings, I can't think of many more...

FFG are proffesionals who depend on their consumers, and they make a product which grows constantly and can be modified to include the things want, but with the movies is different: studios make the movie not caring about anything like respecting the original or listening to the future viewers, and they just throw it at the market and god knows what will happen with it. So don't use the movie as a refference cool.gif

I know, nobody wants to hear a bitter "truth" (although, I cant look into the future, so I can also be wrong), but I just can repeat your words:

"I still haven't heard anything about Cybertronic......"

Like all others out there.

Remember: originally it was planned, that all 3 products (movie, CMG and 3rd ed RPG) should enter the market at about the same time. All three had changed the original design and the background and had more similarities between themselves as to the classic MC. Two of them had already deleted (or drastically changed) Cybertronic....

I thought Sundiata was some kind of future Cybetro, with an arabic flair to it... I'm not really interested in this new MC RPG, since it is visually too different from the "in your face" art (Paul Bonner is a genius) I was used to. But that doesn't change the fact that the RPG is located in a far future, which is the reason for Cybertronic's "absence".

But you can't compare FFG's take on MC's world, with a cosmetic redesign and some minor adjustments to make factions viable (mostly Algeroth monsters becoming Ilian ones), to the movie which had almost nothing in common with classic MC. Like Nighthawk said, we know FFG is using Ultimate Warzone as a BG reference (that's why Karak is a Brotherhood turncoat), and Cybertronic was in UWZ.

Again, I don't know if the game will live long enough for us to see Cybertonic done. But there is NO reason to believe it has been erased from the background.

I have to say, I like the Mutant Chronicles setting the way Heartbreaker, Target, Paradox and Excelsior presented it. I did enjoy the movie, but some of the "liberties" they took with the history bothered me. I didn't like what they did with some of the classic characters, don't know why they created a couple of new ones when classics would have been good, and most of all why they had it set on earth (with Capitol in Europe, Imperial in Australia, etc)????? I know everyone seems to want to put their own spin/stamp on what they work on....but c'mon guys.

I was very excited about the new version of MC RPG coming out....but as they keep changing things (removing Cybertronic, doing away with the Dark Soul, making Ilian the force behind the DL, renaming classic characters like Saladin, and adding the Middle Eastern Sundiata) I find myself liking it less and less.

I like MC.......the way it started....the way that inspired me to buy everything I could find for it for many years. The more something departs from that, the less I want to play it.

I'm glad FFG has stayed pretty true to the origins.

Fetzenbankert: I would reccomend you reading the MC movie tie-in book. It is written by Matt Forbeck that has been a part of MC since the early 90s. He wrote on most of the RPG books and so forth. And remember that the budget of the movie was very low, and done in HD. Also, FFG are using the UWZ as a reference at least. So that makes it very "true" MC. The UWZ is IMO the best MC book out there... You really have to sit down and "study" it kind of. It's not a game, it's a lifestyle, jk. ;P

Mr. Glum: Totally agree. Making a MC movie is difficult, If they had done it more as in the fleshed out MC movie tie-in book, then it would have been much better. Again, who's got $100 million to make a "true" MC movie? :P

@Nighthawk: since I was a little bit disappointed by the film, I am not quite sure if I will buy the book to the movie. Always to justify the ....uh, lets say: different approach to MC by Simon Hunter and Philip Eisner by the argument of the low budget doesnt work for me - finally it was possible to get such actors as Ron Pearlman or John Malkovich. I´m quite sure they havent done their job for free. Dont get me wrong: of all my friends, who are also MC-fans I am the one who likes the movie most. But we all agreed that there is a big difference between the movie and the old classical setting (beginning from the RPG over Doomtrooper to UWZ).

I dont know, why you want to teach me. But since I owe a (unofficial) website to MC ( http://w28.nets.at/ ) and (have) play(ed) all different games (RPG, TCG, TTG, computergame, board games, etc), which were ever published, and have dedicated most of my free time to MC, I suppose I know what the "MC-lifestyle" is. And I am also sure, you can tell me what you then mean by:

Nighthawk said:

You really have to sit down and "study" it kind of.

Anyway, this is not the place to whine about the movie. I just wanted to mention, that a t t h e m o m e n t it seems that Cybertronic will not be included and all evidence show in this direction. Do you have other information or is a possible future release just a wild guess?

Fetzenbankert, don't take Nighthawk's comments as an offense. See, there's no way he can know about your level of knowledge about MC, and I'm sure he wasn't trying to "teach you" for knowing less, but took for granted that most people (like myself, for example) are not so deep in the MC Universe.

I remmember I once asked in a shop about a Heroclix single figure, and the guy there started to tell me about the game... when I am one of the main Heroclix judges here in Spain, I'm the admin of the Spanish forum and I just organized the nationals a few months before that day. But it's the thing about strangers, that you don't know them... gui%C3%B1o.gif

As a Capitol player, I am underwhelmed.

I own 2 silver Banshees already from the boxed sets I bought to get started. Having to get two more to get the copper rangers is kind of Bleh. Makes me want to go with Gold Rangerx2, Silver Ranger x2 for the synergy group and pull in Banshee scouts or Freedom Brigades for copper.

Ever since the changeover from blind purchase, the packaging has been an issue. The company needs to sell all those extra figures, but gosh, I would love to be able to buy a "Capitol Army Set" for $150 or whatever that would have 1 of each Gold, 2 of each Silver, and 3 of each Copper for a good base and then pick up a few singles instead of buying these 3 or 4 packs where half the figures don't help me build better armies.

I am thinking about picking up the Brotherhood and I am much more excited on their basis, since I can more or less get everything I want without too many extras.

I agree the Capitol pack and the algeroth one aren't as sexy as the others. Still, bronze rangers are excellent units (free move for the win, and they can benefit from the yummy bonuses of the other rangers...), and multiple silver banshees can definitely useful against Algeroth (or Ilian : the Ice Golem, Karak and the Mercurian Maculators are biggies). The problem being they're competing with tank hunters for the same role, in the same slot (both are silver units). But their range and mobility make them a solid choice.

FFG already decided to fix the "packaging issue" by swapping to individual/two fig boosters. Not a perfect solution (price increase...), but I guess you won't have a lot of unwanted dupes in an Ilian army !

Nice, definitely glad to see the Sacred Warrior coming out. That will be a must-have for any Brotherhood army, because Dark Legion seems to be getting so much play. The Capitol and DL pack configurations are kind of "meh", but it's nothing we didn't already know about, I suppose.

As a side note, Sundiata is in fact the future version of Cybertronic in the upcoming RPG from COG Games (at least, we assume it's still "upcoming")... they claim they have a backstory written detailing how Cybertronic becomes Sundiata. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's an interesting twist at least.

Being an Algeroth player I am pretty dissapointed with what we got. Of course I will still purchase a pack to get the Ravager, but I do not need two more silver Ezzy's as I already have too like anyone else who purchased multiple starters. My buddy that plays the Brother hood gets the best of the deal IMO, at least for fighting against my armies. The Vulkan is a good add for the Bauhaus too. I will have to get the capital pack for the bronze's as well, but I still wont be playing them until Mitch is released. The 3 non Algeroth factions really need more golds and uniques.

Fetzenbankert said:

I dont know, why you want to teach me. But since I owe a (unofficial) website to MC ( http://w28.nets.at/ ) and (have) play(ed) all different games (RPG, TCG, TTG, computergame, board games, etc), which were ever published, and have dedicated most of my free time to MC, I suppose I know what the "MC-lifestyle" is. And I am also sure, you can tell me what you then mean by:

Haha. what?

jk is short for just kidding gui%C3%B1o.gif refering to "it´s not a game, it´s a lifestyle, jk lengua.gif "

no worries though! happy.gif