Android: The Director's Cut v2.1 now available on BGG... in shiny PDF!

By Bleached Lizard, in Android

Hi guys,

I have just uploaded the latest version of The Director's Cut variant rules to the files section on BGG...and this time it's a shiny PDF!

These rules address many of the disparities between theme and gameplay in a game of Android, including rules to:

* Turn the murder into a true deductive experience (with a "real" murderer).
* Extensive rule changes for the conspiracy, to make the placement of every tile worthwhile, reduce the overpowered nature of the conspiracy overall and eliminate the unthematic 5-in-a-row rules.
* Allow each investigator to experience their game "day" concurrently rather than consecutively (and reduce downtime).
* Adjust how dark cards are drawn and played to be more in theme with what is happening on the board.
* Give NPCs more involvement in the unfolding story and allow some characters to "crossover" into another detective's story.
* Plus many more...

Version 2.1 incorporates the following changes:

* Now in shiny PDF!
* New rules for fights, to make them more combative
* Minor tweak to the conspiracy rules.
* Alternate rules for movement around New Angeles.
* A variant for Lily Lockwell!

You can find the file here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42875

As always, GeekGold tips gratefully accepted. Enjoy!

Chris.

I just had a small question....

I checked my box and the name Chris isn't on it... Only Kevin Wilson and Dan Clark. Unless you are one of those two people, or another employee of Fantasy Flight how can you release a "Directors Cut" version. Your rules appear to be nothing more than an extensive set of house rules.

And many of your rules change entire game concepts. The fact that the players are choosing the murderer (and possibly the detectives just gathering evidence for personal hunches) is one of the most interesting game concepts in the game, next to the character plots. Changing that and the game is no longer so unique.

That's all.

Sorry if I came across a little abrasive. You have every right to make your own rules and play how you want, but calling it the directors cut is misleading. The first time I stumbled across the mod I thought it was a write-up by the game designers... And almost switched the rules before experiencing the real game...

Like most of us that own this game, I think Bleached Lizard is a fan of Blade Runner and it's just a tribute to the variation of the "Director's Cut" version of that movie. Yes, his title for his custom ruleset may be a bit misleading, but I think most people realize it's just a set of houserules.

I haven't played using his variation but I appreciate the fact that he has put a lot of work into his custom rule set...

PeterB10128 said:

Like most of us that own this game, I think Bleached Lizard is a fan of Blade Runner and it's just a tribute to the variation of the "Director's Cut" version of that movie. Yes, his title for his custom ruleset may be a bit misleading, but I think most people realize it's just a set of houserules.

I haven't played using his variation but I appreciate the fact that he has put a lot of work into his custom rule set...

Thank you! happy.gif

Yes, the title is simply a tribute to Blade Runner. I used to have a disclaimer at the end of the ruleset stating that the title was only intended as such (see versions 1.0 and 2.0), but removed it for v2.1 as I presumed people would have got the idea by now.

Also, one shoudln't forget that the 'Director's cut' of Blade Runner was not done by Ridley Scott himself and was still somewhat apart from his own personal vision of the film. That is why Scott decided to edit and publish his 'Final Cut', a version closest to what he thought the film should be like

And having just read the PDF, I should perhaps add that it has finally convinced me to buy Android. It might not be Kevin Wilsons version, but it fits my idea if the game very well - and as the money goes to FF, everybody is happy.

Well i guess that makes sense... but I was initally very confused by the title... although I have never seen Blade Runner so that is likley why I didn't catch the reference.

Trevbo said:

although I have never seen Blade Runner so that is likley why I didn't catch the reference.

oh my... I suggest you remedy that soon! Then have a nice game of Android :)

Well done, Bleached Lizard. I love the game already, but I really like your suggested rules changes. I'll give them a go with my gamiing group.