A trio of questions.

By Ambrus, in Talisman Rules Questions

I've been playing the revised edition (along with the Reaper and Dungeon expansions) and have had a few questions arise during game play.

Riding Horse : Can a character with the riding horse roll one die for movement and, if she doesn't like the results, then roll the second die for the Riding Horse or must the decision to use both dice be made before rolling for movement?

Pit Fiends : Are all of the Pit Fiends meant to fought in the same turn if victory permits, or must they be faced one-at-a-time on subsequent turns?

Cloak of Feathers : This treasure from the Lord of Darkness' hoard grants a character the ability to teleport anywhere in one's region without listing any limitations. Since the Crown of Command space is a part of the Inner Region couldn't a character simply breach the Portal of Power and then teleport directly to the Crown of Command without a Talisman; bypassing the Valley of Fire altogether? This latter tactic helped me leap frog over another character in the Inner Region to win the game because no one at the table could see any reason it shouldn't work. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Ambrus said:

Riding Horse : Can a character with the riding horse roll one die for movement and, if she doesn't like the results, then roll the second die for the Riding Horse or must the decision to use both dice be made before rolling for movement?

I think it's before any rolls. Same as Teleport spell, can't roll and then cast the spell if the roll wasn't to your liking. Also, the Swashbuckler question I posted earlier was answered as decide before drawing. Of course, the wording on the card might be a clue (too lazy to check atm).

Ambrus said:

Pit Fiends : Are all of the Pit Fiends meant to fought in the same turn if victory permits, or must they be faced one-at-a-time on subsequent turns?

Same turn.

As to the 3rd question, can't help you there (still no Dungeon) without full card text. People with Dungeon will pop along sooner or later.

Ambrus said:

Cloak of Feathers : This treasure from the Lord of Darkness' hoard grants a character the ability to teleport anywhere in one's region without listing any limitations. Since the Crown of Command space is a part of the Inner Region couldn't a character simply breach the Portal of Power and then teleport directly to the Crown of Command without a Talisman; bypassing the Valley of Fire altogether? This latter tactic helped me leap frog over another character in the Inner Region to win the game because no one at the table could see any reason it shouldn't work. gui%C3%B1o.gif

No, CoC doesn't belong to the Inner Region, it's a centre of the board, it's separated "region". So, if You will use CoF, You can teleport up to the Valley of Fire.

Nemomon said:

No, CoC doesn't belong to the Inner Region, it's a centre of the board, it's separated "region". So, if You will use CoF, You can teleport up to the Valley of Fire.

Ambrus said:

Nemomon said:

Is it mentioned anywhere in the rules? The diagram showing the various regions seem to indicate that the CoC space is a part of the Inner region.

Specifically you have to have the talisman to enter the Valley of Fire so even with the CoF you would need that, then on your next turn you could enter the crown of command from the valley of fire.

Crown of Command is part of the Inner Region. Otherwise Transference from anywhere in the Inner Region to the Crown of Command wouldn't work, as that spell allows you to change places with another char in the same region. And Transference has been ruled ok in the Inner Region (including swap for CoC).

Jamos said:

Specifically you have to have the talisman to enter the Valley of Fire so even with the CoF you would need that, then on your next turn you could enter the crown of command from the valley of fire.

Looking at the card text on BGG, I could see it being ruled both ways.

1) You need to discard it to use it in that manner, so for the cost, it would work.

or

2) It's still a teleport, like the spell, which doesn't work on the Inner Region.

We still don't know, how that will be officially ruled, however I would not be surprised, if would be as I'm saying.

Any clue when the official FAQ is due?

Ambrus said:

Jamos said:

But if the CoC space is part of the inner region then Cloak of Feathers would seem to allow one to skip the Talisman/Valley of Fire requirement altogether. The rules say that the text on cards always supercedes a space's text after all.

So I guess the Reaper could send you to the CoC also if you roll a 6 and are in the inner region. The only pause I have with this ruling though is the games name is Talisman and I always thought you had to have a Talisman to get into/past the Valley of Fire no matter how you got there.

Jamos said:

So I guess the Reaper could send you to the CoC also if you roll a 6 and are in the inner region.

Except that the Reaper is bared from entering the Inner Region since he already has an avatar present in the region.

Jamos said:

The only pause I have with this ruling though is the games name is Talisman and I always thought you had to have a Talisman to get into/past the Valley of Fire no matter how you got there.

If you read the card of the Cloak of Feathers, then you may use the Cloak to transport yourself to the Crown of Command. No talisman needed.

From the information that John Goodenough has said about the Transference spell, you may use the cloak to use it to land on the crown !

Cloak of Feathers mentions normal move on the card and no dice roll, so you may use it if you wish.. gui%C3%B1o.gif

greetz,

-Velhart