Newbie Rules Questions and Clarifications

By Roochiedoor, in Citadels

Hi, I just got Citadels the other day and tried to play 2 player with my house mate. We had a bit of trouble understanding what the game play was actually meant to be. I was hoping someone may be able to clear some of this up for me.

1) From the rules about Game play

Step Two: Choose Characters

The player who has the crown takes the Character Deck and secretly chooses a character. He then passes the remaining character cards to the player on his left, who also chooses a card, and passes the remaining cards to the left. This continues until each player has chosen one card from the Character Deck. The last player chooses from the two remaining cards, and places the last card face-down in the center of the table.

What does secretly choose a character mean? Does it just mean they take the first card from the pile? Is the player allowed to look at all the character cards and choose one to his liking? It then says the next player chooses a card but with out the word secrectly, again is the next player allowed to browse the whole pack or do they have to take the first card at the top of the pile? Do all players have the same selection rights or does the first player get more rights because they have the crown?

I think we ended playing that the first player could select whatever they like for the first character because we assumed that was the benefit of having the crown, but we weren't really sure.

What is the benefit of having the crown?

2) When taking your turn you can draw to gold or

"• or draw two district cards from the District Deck, choose one to put in your hand, and put the other on the bottom of the deck".

I assuming they have to pick up the 2 cards at the top of the pack, are they allowed to actually view both cards when selecting one? or is it merely a shuffling exercise where the user picks one with out looking at it's face and then puts the non selected one at the bottom of the pile?

3) What happens when a player already has the 2 districts they happen to pick up .e.g There are multiple Tavern's and Markets. The rules say they can't build 2 of the same districts (except one of the special cards let's you do this - can't remember which one). Does the player put both of the card back and miss out on drawing a district that turn? Do they have to take one of the cards anyway and not use it?

4) Are you allowed to partially build a district? For example you draw a district that requires 5 gold but you only have 2. Do you put a down payment of 2 gold on the district and just not have the ability of the district until you finished paying it off? The rules say you can choose not to build a district. Does that mean you can accumulate district cards with out building them?

If you can accumulate district cards with out building them is there anything a character can do against unbuilt districts. With the Warlord you can destroy build districts, but can you steal an unbuilt district from someone?

5) Lastly, When you have built a district do you put the coins back in the bank? We were leaving the coins on the district cards and found we were running out of bank finance, so we figured once you had built a district the coins were mean to go to the bank.

It looks like many are really enjoying this game out there, but so far we are struggling to play a basic game because the rules seem to ambiguos, and we just can't figure out how it's meant to be played. I know many of you will be able to answer these question (obviously there are others who can make it work) and i look forward to hearing how it should be played.

1) You pick a card w/out telling the other player. Kind of redundant in a two player game so I'd have dicards starting with the second player. And having the crown means you get to pick first and know exactly which cards are in play as well as getting first choice.

2) you look

3)You take one of them. Some abilities let you build two of the same districts or trade cards for gold and having a backup in case the warlord uses his ability can be handy

4) Not unless you make a houserule but then I'd say the warlord can destroy it for free

5)Yes. If you didn't you'd never finish the game w/ more than two players

Roochiedoor said:

4) Are you allowed to partially build a district? For example you draw a district that requires 5 gold but you only have 2. Do you put a down payment of 2 gold on the district and just not have the ability of the district until you finished paying it off? The rules say you can choose not to build a district. Does that mean you can accumulate district cards with out building them?

If you can accumulate district cards with out building them is there anything a character can do against unbuilt districts. With the Warlord you can destroy build districts, but can you steal an unbuilt district from someone?

You may not "partially build" a district. If you do not have enough gold to build something in your hand, then you cannot build. This forces a player to accumulate gold and run the risk of being robbed (by the Thief).

Indeed there is a character who can steal unbuilt districts - the Magician. (Though technically he doesn't "steal" - he swaps. See the thread below titled 'In Defense of the Underrated Magician.)

I have played with 3 players but never 2. I have also played with 4, 5, 6 players. And I can tell you the 4- and 5-player games are the best (esp. 5). I'd encourage you to play with more players some time.

Thanks. That all makes sense. Well mostly. I didn't quite understand the response to point 1.

My house mate interprets it as player 1 is allowed to look at the cards on their first pick. I wasn't sure what you meant by "Dicards" Gatha, was it a typo or do I not know what "Dicards" are?

So I take it that player 1 can look at the cards when they choose their first character. What about on their other picks, ie player 1 picks a card then puts a card down, followed by player 2 doing the same thing, then back to player 1 and so on.

Apart from that, thankyou for the responses, it makes sense.

You always look at the character cards. It's just that the first player gets first pick and knows what's out there, which is far better if you want the thief or assassin as you're almost guarenteed a hit as opposed to the guy who picks last and has no idea what was available and so cannot make any conjectures about who picked what.

Dicards was a typo. They meant to say Discards. If you are playing just two player games I can recomend discarding a character before the first player chooses their character. That way if he doesn't take the assasin and player two does, player two wont automatically know whom to kill. Same goes for the thief.