First deck ever - Hastur/Agency madness tryout

By Timber_Wolf, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Well, hello everybody, i´ve finaly registered =)

A friend and I just started the CoC LCG and decided for two factions, each. He went for Shubb / Miscatonic, i fell in love with Hastur (and got the Agency along for some muscles). So, this is my first deck ever constructed for this game (and i´m still good at mixing MTG rules with CoC rules, espacially the non-existent stack gives my head troubles ;-) ).

The idead behind this deck is using the hastur half of the deck for exessive insanity-fun while the agency provides the hard firepower backup for shooting everything that´s too horrible to go insane. Hastur also allows me to use a fair amoutn of bouncing spells, so i can keep my opponents characters at bay while building up my own army. the asylums allow me to refreh my characters rgardless of victoria´s loft, while the gentlemen´s club and byakee attack gives card advantage (and it increases the cance to drwa a loft to get my combo rolling).

without further addo, here´s my deck

• 2x Hired Muscle
  • 2x Local Sheriff
  • 2x Monster Hunter
  • 2x •Paul LeMond, Tormented Psychic
  • 2x Peeler
  • 2x •Professor Hermann Mulder, Bureau Consultant
  • 2x Shotgun
  • 2x Small Price to Pay
  • 2x T-Men
  • 2xShotgun Blast
  • 2x Agoraphobia
  • 2x Bearer of the Yellow Sign
  • 2x Byakhee Attack
  • 2x Byakhee Servant
  • 2x Despair
  • 2x •Hastur, The King in Yellow
  • 2x Power Drain
  • 2x Scotophobia
  • 2x Thing from the Stars
  • 2x •Victoria Glasser, The Society Hostess
  • 2x Victoria's Loft
  • 2x Arkham Asylum
  • 2x Gentleman's Club
  • 2x Military Advisor
  • 2x Eldritch Nexus

Total 50

not sure if youre looking for critique so ignore this if not. but why have sedated with victorias loft?? you could replace sedated with preformance artists. but im probably biased since thats one of my favorite hastur characters. local sheriff can be a problem too. if you end up resourcing him he throws everything off, and as a 4 cost he's not something youre gonna play early. ive tried using him many times in agency decks and it seems he the throws a wrench into my resoucing plans too many times.

but small price to pay works nicely with military advisor, especially if you have a loft out already.

well, yeah, i´m looking for critique, as said, i´m a complete noob concerning the CoC cardgame =)

sedated is in the deck because i only run 2 lofts. while i´m waiting to draw a loft, i can sedate an enemy character to keep it quiet (well, that´s the idea, maybe i´m thinking too much mtg-like here, i´m always astonished how fast you get a wanted card in a 50 card deck drawing 2 cards a turn...).

the sheriff seemed a good idea to me. using him for a turn one byakee servant and then using one of your one-resource domains for getting him back seems to be a good deal. i thought only the sheriff would be discarded if i use a domain with him attached to?

the performance artist sounds cool, too, i´ll think about putting her into the deck, too.

My choice would be Shotgun Blasts over Sedated. You can shoot an insane character for free, any time you have one. And it can deal with some other characters too, if you run into Willpower or too much Terror or something like that. Sedated is handy if you want the insane characters to stick around, but the Loft will take care of that one on the long run.

that sounds like a great idea, i´ve never thought about shooting insane characters (well, for free acutally ^^), i´ll change that in the upper deck

Also, Agoraphobia is pretty cool, but you could try Spawn of the Sleeper (Spawn of the Sleeper Asylum Pack F11) instead. Stealing their characters is pretty cool. :D

actually i´m waiting for the 3rd core set, so i can play some crucial cards the full 3 times (espacially the loft). afterwards, i´ll look through the asylum packs and this particular one will be the first one to get, so i´ll keep this in mind :)