Difference between card text and icons

By Le Faiseur, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

My first topic on FFG's forum. aplauso.gif

So, I have a question. A rhethorical question, should I add, because we devised a way of playing this problem in our group. My question is for character card text : when a special ability let a character "ignore opponent's card text", does this mean that we only ignore the text if there is one, or does this mean that we ignore all what is written in the "text section" of the card (which would mean that we ignore text AND icons, such as sword or tower) ?

The question arose when we spotted the Baratheon's Buffoon, who can copy the strength, text and icons of an already used adversary's character. The fact that for this card, it was indicated a difference between icons and text launched a virulent debate around thetable between players who thought that it was enough to say that icons are not "text", and players who thought that "text" refered most probably to a section of the card and not "literally" the text in the section itself.

I hope I'm understandable enough. Thanks in advance !

Text by definition is words. And since Icons are mentioned in the rules and on the cards they are clearly, as defined, pictures. Not to mention the redundancy of saying "text AND icons " if text meant both of them

Yeah, we had this discussion last night while playing. The best way I found of denoting the two are different are that during combat resolution players reveal their House Card, then activate the text, then choose whether to use the Valyrian Steel Sword. After the outcome is determined, then the Icons are checked to determine losses,if any. So since they are used in different parts of the resolution action, and like you say Patchface refers to both Text and Icons, I think it's pretty safe to say the two are not the same.

Yes, it's safer like that. Our problem was that I have the french version of the game and translations are frequently... inaccurate. So Patchface was not the best example to set the whole rule. However, the sequence you describe is pretty interesting. We will stick on that. Thanks.

In the FAQ they say icons are NOT text. the text ability is one thing, the icons are another thing. when a card ignores text ability you keep the icons unless the card explicitly also refers to the icons.