Enhanced power: Can you spend multple FP on the skill checks?

By Donovan Morningfire, in Game Mechanics

Friend of mine brought this up, and might be worth considering for a Beta Update at least in terms of clarity of language.

For the Enhance power, the basic power says "spend FP to add Success or Advantage" to the relevant skill check (Athletics for basic power, but the Control Upgrades expand what skills are affected).

Previously, we've been playing this as "can spend multiple FP's to generate additional Success or Advantage." So for instance, if you generated three Force Points, you'd get to add up to three Successes or three Advantage or some mix of the two to your skill check.

However, with the FaD Beta's addendum that says "unless the power or upgrade says otherwise, you can only activate it once ," perhaps Enhance's basic power needs to be reworded to allow for multiple Force Points to be spent on the skill checks?

Agreed, I can't see an obvious imbalance. At lower levels the player will be getting at most 2-4 extra success/advantage, at higher levels they'd probably get better results from just increasing their Brawn...

I guess though that if you can spend multiple force points for success and/or advantages the enhance power would be kinda gamebreaking with higher force ratings. If you could roll 3 dice and got 4 pips, that would be 4 successes. If that is true, which i don't think it is, that would mean that accomplished force users wouldn't need athletics.

How I read the rules, 1 force point is what you can spend.

(however, it does mean you don't benefit from higher force rating so much with enhance)

Is it the same thing with Intuitive Shot ?? It reads : "...add WHITE no greater than Force Rating to the check. May spend Force Pip to add Succes or Advantage." To me, it means to you can add as many success and/or advantages equal to the number of Force Pip rolled. So if you roll 3 force pip, you can get 3 success, or 3 advantages, or a mix of both for a total of 3.

I always believed that the Force power Enhance was the same thing... that for each force pip, you could add a success or advantage. The same goes for Force Power Influence where you can spend a force pip to inflict 1 strain.... it would be really underwhelming if you could only inflict 1 strain even if you rolled 10 force pip (hypothetical) :(

While writing my previous post... I decided to look in the EotE and AoR rulebook for the complete description of the powers.

For Enhance, it is written : "... may spend Force Pip to gain success or advantage (his choice) per point on his check."

For Influence, it is : "The basic power has one effect that can be triggered multiple times on the same or different targets." and later for the Control upgrade : "... may spend Force Pip to gain success or advantage (his choice) per point on his check."

I believe that it is poorly writtent, but that it means that you can gain a success/advantage for each Force Pip rolled.

I stand corrected. 1 success or 1 advantage per force point.

Still kinda limits the need for athletics (and other skills with upgrades)

Edit: with some quick thinking, you can't rely on the force dice.

Edited by Poseur

(however, it does mean you don't benefit from higher force rating so much with enhance)

Don't forget the two commit upgrades! The enhance power is still viable at higher FRs, especially when you commit two dice for +1 Brawn and +1 Agility, and still have some dice left over for Force Jump to medium range (requiring 2 Force points).

-EF

I stand corrected. 1 success or 1 advantage per force point.

Still kinda limits the need for athletics (and other skills with upgrades)

Edit: with some quick thinking, you can't rely on the force dice.

Actually, the character I've been playing prior to F&D Beta picked up Enhance a while back, and the GM ran what amounted to a chase sequence, with the two PCs involved making Athletics checks against an Average difficulty with 2 setback dice to reflect the fact it was a fairly crowded space port. A couple times I rolled double light side on both dice, leading to us joking that my character was shouting "PARKOUR!" as he went vaulting over obstacles and pedestrians in his efforts to catch up to the bad guys and the very pretty Twi'lek dancing girl they'd taken hostage.

Actually, the character I've been playing prior to F&D Beta picked up Enhance a while back, and the GM ran what amounted to a chase sequence, with the two PCs involved making Athletics checks against an Average difficulty with 2 setback dice to reflect the fact it was a fairly crowded space port. A couple times I rolled double light side on both dice, leading to us joking that my character was shouting "PARKOUR!" as he went vaulting over obstacles and pedestrians in his efforts to catch up to the bad guys and the very pretty Twi'lek dancing girl they'd taken hostage.

I don't think you're supposed to yell "Parkour", Dresden. ;)

I don't think you're supposed to yell "Parkour", Dresden. ;)

Hey, do I make any snide remarks about your Latin battle cries? :P

This seems entirely reasonable to me...that's the point of having the Force. If all you could do was add 1 success or advantage then a master would be no better than a padawan.