Reflect and protecting squad mates

By Hedgehobbit, in Game Mechanics

One of the iconic images from the prequels are the Jedi leading teams of clones, using their lightsabers to deflect attacks aimed at them. This is repeated time and again in TCW with Anakin and Ahsoka. It would appear that combining the squad rules from the AoR GM kit and the Reflect talent could be easily used to replicate this. However, there are two issues:

1-The squad rules don't actually specify at which point in the combat check process the hit is reallocated. The Reflect talent, however, is very clear.

2-In the squad rules as published, any attack that's redirected to a minion kills that minion regardless of the damage dealt. While this is fine for your typical blaster shot versus your typical minion, It means that the Jedi would have to Reflect 100% of the damage or you couldn't divert that one attack. Even if the remaining damage wouldn't even penetrate the minion's soak.

So, if the squad rules are reprinted, I would suggest that the timing of the attack redirection be specified as after the point at which Reflect is applied (end of Step 3 IIRC), and that the damage optionally, not result in an auto-kill but be applied as normal damage to a minion group.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

I'm guessing the damage to a squad minion is assigned prior to it being applied against the target's Soak Value, much as Reflect and Parry's effects are applied.

Personally, I'd have no problem with a Jedi PC using Reflect as part of a squad, but they'd have to suffer the damage to do so, which can then be narrated as the Jedi swatting the incoming ranged attack aside with their lightsaber and keeping it from damaging their ally, keeping in mind that one attack roll would actually represent a multitude of shots fired, seeing as how a combat round is roughly 1 minute. Wound damage doesn't always mean the target (especially a PC) is left with a gaping, bleeding wound (that's what critical injuries are for), so even if the Jedi PC doesn't negate all the damage from the attack by using Reflect, they've probably negated enough of it that their own Soak Value can reduce the damage to a meager scratch.

I'm guessing the damage to a squad minion is assigned prior to it being applied against the target's Soak Value, much as Reflect and Parry's effects are applied.

By the rules, the squad minion doesn't take damage. Each redirected hit simply kills one minion.