what about Descent?

By aniedrig, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I love Descent and I love Star Wars... so obviously I will buy and probably love Imperial Assault, too.

But I am not planing on buying expansions for both games, especially when they are this much alike. Thus, I will probably jump right into Imperial Assault and stop buying Descent expansions.

I am wondering if any Descent fans out there feel the same way?

And whether FFG has planed anything at all to keep Descent interesting for the fan base?

Especially when assuming that they have probably improved one or two game mechanics.

Descent has already more expansions than most board games, so I suppose there is an end in sight, now that there is a third edition under the Star Wars IP ;)

But if they should continue both games I will have to buy both.

I was actually on the fence about jumping into descent but then when this announcement came out I saw no reason to get into Descent at all. I simply cannot justify investing so heavily into two fairly similar game systems where I like one's theme infinitely more than the other.

Imo there won't be anything new for Descent until 2016, maybe they release just miniatures, but there won't be a full expansion anymore.

IA will recieve one or two expansions in 2015. If it gets really popular, FFG will continue to release expansions for IA (considering it's limited replayability this game will die very quickly without new missions). If IA isn't the huge success they were hoping for, but still profitable enough they will relaunch a new Descent 3rd edition in late 2016.

The only way Descent 2E will get new content would be if IA bombs really hard and they have no time to design a new edition for descent.

I have a mountain of Descent products, many of which I haven't even gotten to the table yet. I'm definitely a Star Wars fan but I'm not rushing out to throw money at IA just yet. If this had come out a few years and several hundred dollars ago I might feel differently :)

Why would you stop getting Descenf expansions as well? It's still a classic fantasy dungeon crawl. This is a Sci-if tactical adventure game. There is plenty of reason to support both product lines.

Why would you stop getting Descenf expansions as well? It's still a classic fantasy dungeon crawl. This is a Sci-if tactical adventure game. There is plenty of reason to support both product lines.

there is only a limited amount of money in my walllet :) and I think that money is better put on my kid's savings account.

now some of you apperently think, they will slow down the release of new expansions for Descent a little. That would be fine with me, since there are already enough expansions out there and I'd like to get into IA, but whether that will be the case remains to be seen. Descent certainly does not need another expansion simply adding more of the usual stuff anymore, since there is more than enough stuff already. If they released the remaining Hero & Monster collections, so we can collect the remaining minis from the 1st Edt. and then bring Descent to an end, would probably be fine with most fans.

I highly doubt a release of a Descent 3rd Edt. any time soon though, since IA basically is a Descent 3rd Edt., but what do I know.

Edited by aniedrig

Descent is my favorite boardgame of all times. I have all Descent 1st expansions and all 2nd edition expansions too. I will probably buy also all IA stuff. Only the miniatures make it really worthwile for me (I'll paint and use them in Edge of Empire RPG scenarios).

As for any new Descent expansion(s), if they keep adding to the game as the latest ones (with new mechanics and interesting story telling changes) I'll buy them too... My guess is that they will slow down the pace of new Descent material. Anyway, there is so much out there already that one could keep playing for 2-3 extra years even if FFG does not publish anything new; and this not taking into account all the home-brewed material.

there is only a limited amount of money in my walllet :) and I think that money is better put on my kid's savings account.

Fair enough. Hopefully they will stagger the release of each expansion enough to give our pocket books some relief. If the same teams are working on both Imperial Assault and Descent, then this is more likely to be the case anyway.

We will see some descent stuff next year. look at the missing product numbers.

at least four monster and heroes sets are coming.

at least one small box expansions. red7yellow so the classes are even again.

and there a re rumours for something bigger on the co-op front.

We will see some descent stuff next year. look at the missing product numbers.

at least four monster and heroes sets are coming.

at least one small box expansions. red7yellow so the classes are even again.

and there a re rumours for something bigger on the co-op front.

where can I see the missing product numbers?