PCs accidently chaos ritual

By doomande, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

We do all know it, the acolytes doing something that you just hadn´t planned should happen in a million years, either because of godly good, or godly bad rolls, and this situation.

So a humourus story to those that want one of those, for the real question jump towards the end.

It all started with some chaos coins that should point my acolytes towards my Khorne cult, their cell leader was even in the same town as them for plot reasons so they could get the coins of their hands and get a prof to look at them... but they forgets them and does therefore have them in their backpack. The coins is a part of a ritual, them rusting when they come in contact with blood, the rust needed to draw a summoning circle. Long story short, they end up in a bar fight so big that there no longer are a second floor (never have I seen so much damage coming from a grenade, or such an unlucky group, I mean... the berserk result on the fear table for the guy with a grenade launcher), the coins ends up in a ocean of blood and the building are on fire. Because of the fire and a cliffhanger between the bar fight and their exit do they forget all about the coins, their equipment that are laying in their room is a bit more important do they think. Outside are there a welcoming committee , the towns citizens wanting to know what the throne that happened with their inn. The groups reaction to that, make their tech priest use feedback screech and leg it, their unlucky psyker casts his Telekinetic Shield and rolls a lovely 9, spreading corruption around to all the 80 people or so that there are gathered... and brings the last component to the ritual behind them, a lovely pack of Khornes flesh rounds slowly tearing themselves out of the populous.

Now to my real question, he made a ritual, maybe against his knowing and will, but made it still, so how many corruption and insanity points would you say that you throw against a psyker for completing a ritual and bringing 12 Khorne hounds or so into the world? Other lovely " punishments " (sure he was unlucky with his rolls, but have not been acting his best either and used his powers more than once against civilians, and have been warned against it.), or "cost" that both Disciples of the Dark Gods and Radical's Handbook mentions are part of a demonic ritual

Or in the Call of Cthulhu RPG they let the cultists summon a great old one so they can kill it. Que GM facepalm.

Aye, that does sound rather facepalm worthy... These guys did just do it by accident as said, accident and not fully thought out decisions... Did I say that they work for a puritan Ordo Malleus Inquisitor just to make it all even worse :blink:

[...] but they forgets them and does therefore have them in their backpack [...]

At this point I knew this was going to be good.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

[...] the berserk result on the fear table for the guy with a grenade launcher [...]

Yup. Not disappointed!

But now for your questions:

Personally - and note that this is very much a matter of interpretation - I believe that Corruption represents an erosion of an individual's innate resistance against the allure of Chaos, triggered sometimes by exposure to the raw energies of the Warp and its denizens, but mostly by the individual intentionally acting in a way that compromises their purity .. the "moral shield" of their soul. So, given that the players did not intend for any of this to happen, I'd say that the amount of Corruption (or indeed whether any CP should be awarded at all) should be determined based on how close they were to the "rift" between realspace and Immaterium when it opened.

However, from your description it very much sounds like some Insanity might be in order!

[...] and used his powers more than once against civilians [...]

This on the other hand could be grounds for some CP as well, depending on the situation and what sort of powers the psyker used. A lack of restraint could indeed be interpreted as giving in to the lure of power, and thus opening the door for seductive whispers from the daemons of the Warp.

Fearful Aura is his preferable minor power that he throws in the head at people... with all of his 4 dices as well, not minding much what there happens to friend or foe. Not much can stand against him and his fear rating 4 after all.

They where... we run the game in a cinematic teller style, so I have no exact number of meters they were from the coins when they exploded into a cloud of khorne dust, but they were all (beside two acolytes) right slap dap in the middle of the angry mob that got turned into ritual ingredients, so they were technically at ground zero when the tear of reality began, and will be 3-4 rounds AKA 10-20 meters away from it when the dogs get out to play.

Other small details that I have skipped, the cleric that fails on his willpower roll after being the person that had to hold the coins, him seeing a shade of sorts that laughs provokingly at him, the rest of the team actually thinking that it is a real demon. The "sight" of the demon made our Imperial Guard player to charge a wall with his holy hammer (of idol plus duct tape), him actually critting and making a rather big hole in it, him later on going "NOPE!" when the grenade thrower cleric runs rampage, him running another wall down, forgetting that this wall was turned towards the street... them being on first floor.

I guess some CP might indeed be in order, then. Treat the rift like a nuclear reactor leaking radiation, except that this sort of radiation affects your soul! ;)

Not sure about the exact amount, though. 12 sounds like a lot. How about 8 or maybe 10?

Also, I think that psyker definitely deserves some additional CP - though not retroactively, of course, just when/if he keeps "abusing" his powers in a manner that hints at him enjoying people fleeing in terror etc, rather than perhaps achieving similar results with more arduous, but less extreme means.

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive."
-- from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away
And yup, as I said ... Insanity Points for everyone. :P
Edited by Lynata

Duly noted, the dices of insanity will roll over the table and the players will moan over the secret results, only I, the great master mind known as GM knowing how many that they have earnt at any given moment!

Say... how much corruption would others says that going sith... I mean going radical would earn you? 1 point for each point horde he uses it against? One point for each friendly that he actually drives insane?

Edit:

Ahh found myself a lovely little rule under corruption:

Rending the Veil
Characters caught in a full-blown intrusion of the warp into
corporeal reality gain Corruption Points from the experience.
Just how many depends on what occurs and the severity of
the breach. This might be anywhere from a single point to
several d10s in value.

Yep... My players have something to look forward to now, 1d5 sounds about right for standing in a rift like they did, even if it only was for moments.

Edited by doomande

Eh ... simply being Radical isn't a guarantee of corruption points. It depends on what form/how you are Radical.

Also, going Radical isn't necessarily going 'sith'. Going Sith would be a segue into Black Crusade territory - and that would be a source of a great many corruption points.

Eh ... simply being Radical isn't a guarantee of corruption points. It depends on what form/how you are Radical.

Also, going Radical isn't necessarily going 'sith'. Going Sith would be a segue into Black Crusade territory - and that would be a source of a great many corruption points.

It was more a joke on him doing what I had described in an earlier post, using fearful aura with all his dices in more than one situation where he knows that it would hit civilians. It should be mentioned that it is his first resort, even before any of the players talk with said civilians, just that they are there, looking a bit on them does he begin to roll the dices

I would have made them roll WP against the crowd to see who got turned into Khorne dogs.

As for your Psyker, I would definitely throw some CP his way for indiscriminate use of Fearful Aura. He is literally scaring people to the point of death and insanity, just because he can.

You may want to start using the Corruption rules from DH10 The Radical's Handbook pp.73-74, though.

It was more a joke on him doing what I had described in an earlier post, using fearful aura with all his dices in more than one situation where he knows that it would hit civilians. It should be mentioned that it is his first resort, even before any of the players talk with said civilians, just that they are there, looking a bit on them does he begin to roll the dices

Oh, yes, he's on his way to bad places. But not in a good way. He's headed for corruption and a high likely of Psychic Phenomena and Perils of the Warp leading to Bad Things, plus angry torch-wielding mobs seeking to burn the witch.

He is not headed towards Radicalism. He might be headed towards outright Heresy, and the Black Crusade corruption rules, which will likely leave him some sort of Chaos Spawn, because he's just getting corruption without doing anything productive.

I have not touched Black Crusade just yet, so you would have to explain to me what the corruption rules are there, or point me towards a useful link that I can get inspired from.

Basically if you ramp up your corruption to 100 you turn into a chaos spawn, unless your "accomplishments" score aka "infamy" is also 100.

Ohh that... well I have something a bit more fun planned for him when he reach 100... if he reach 100 rather, we are 6-8 sessions away from our finale, and he is just at 40 something points of corruption. But who knows, if he really begins to spam his abilities or tries to take control over some of "his" summoned demons can he properly rake in those points rather easily.

In my books there is no such Thing as "accidently enacting a ritual".

A ritual or summoning is not the product of some mechanical Action. It Needs Focus and Devotion.
A Focus on the Task and the Devotion to achieve something.
The one enacting it does not Need to understand the result
She may be in a very wrong assumption about the result
But she should be knowning that she does this to get a result.

The Scene you describe does not Sound like that.
If it Releases the daemons, fine
But there should not be "additional corrupton" for "enacting a ritual".
The one who forged the coins enacted a ritual
This is just something like a trap the characters stumbled into.

The get caught in the blast (the corruption for being present while daemons manifest, Warpshock)
but they are not to be blamed for that

You are right that this is a trap of sorts that they have stumbled into, them not knowing fully what they did, but they did do the things no matter what.

They ripped an inn and its 18 people to sheds with shotgun blasts and chain weapons instead of paying for the hole they had made in a wall, drenching coins of Khorne in blood and core, full well knowing that they were of his making, them seeing that they reacted on blood, and even after one of the players tried to talk all the others down from violence.

You are right that there are missing some focus and devotion, but they made more than up for it in other ways, them even ripping a small rift into the warp by getting the "Warp Whispers" peril, by accident sure, but you do not run around using all your dices to throw a power when you are standing near kaos artefacts.

Did they bring the devotion, not at all, but they brought all the other things, and more than enough of it.

@Killing and Blood Spilling...and with not reason then for being bad / an ass / a badass
If you have house rules that make this acitions in itself worth of corruption, goes for it. But by RAW, you can be taking delight in eating infants alive and it will not earn your corruption unless you do it to serve/appease/impress the ruinous powers and/or in an attempt to gain there might/favour/enact a ritual.

@..and they KNEW what the coins were
Now, things get interesting... please tell me more . What exactly did they know? And were they drenching them in the blood as an act of will? From your first post I was under the Impression that this "blood on the coins" just happened as "colletral damage" to all the mindless violence going on. In that case, I still argue my Point. Carelessness and being stupid is not the same as intent. Somebody who is to stupid to avoid going to sleep with a burning cigarette in hand is not an "arsonist". Somebody who has a lit match in Hand and suddenly has the urge to throw it into this hay stack... that is a different matter ;)

Don´t get me wrong! Launch a Major incursion, send a Little more daemons then you originally planned. Have a hell of consequences for their Actions. The stars are right , so to speak. But I still would not call it "enacting a ritual" if they...well.. haven´t been enacting a ritual.

But to finally answer your Topic question: Enacting a ritual is something I usually assume to get between 1d5 and 1d10.... or A LOT more if it is a Grand ritual or something. But if it was "accidental" 1d5 should do the trick, perhaps less.

Well... they knew that the coins were bad and had a strong connection to Khorne. But now that you bring it up in that way do I actually realize that they didn´t knew that much about them again. Just that they were evil and made people more aggressive.

You are right that RAW having the whole corruption thing laid up like that. But honestly are RAW rather flawed at times. Beside that did I ask for other peoples opinion and advices, so pointing to RAW is a bit beside the point. Even if you are right and that it have opened my eyes up for how misguided I was in my way of thinking about it all. Now do I just have to trick one of my players to take control over the demons one way or another, because there are a both focus and a bit of devotion in that ;)