A Runebound clone? ...Why not a 5 player game?

By Ruvion, in Middle-earth Quest

Why not make it a 5 player just like Fury of Dracula? The more the merrier I say, despite any increase in game length...just make the downtime short and/or bearable.

I hope this is not a Runebound clone where you grab magic loot and level up from killing minions. Already got Runebound where I can do that already. However, something about the feel of the game intro (especially the part about the minions) reminds me of the Midnight big box Runebound expansion for some reason...anyone else get that feeling?

If you read the game description on the product page, it's easy to see that this will be nothing like Runebound or the Midnight expansion. It looks like it might incorporate small elements of Runebound (overland map, some sort of combat checks), but I think the similarities end there.

It looks like FFG is also incorporating more cardplay elements, like each players ability card decks and the option to upgrade those decks. I really like the sound of that. And the plot cards that the Sauron player gets to put into play reminds me of Descent: Road to Legend.

And I think the reason it is not 5 player is to help facilitate balanced gameplay. We'll have to see when it comes out, which I cannot wait for.

I am very much looking forward to this game.

This does NOT look like a Runebound clone...or a WOW:TAG clone...or a Talisman clone. The board does look a little like the I.C.E. hobbit board in that there is a map with little circles on it representing sites. But it looks and sounds pretty original in most respects.

Yes...I've had a look see and the game's description is fairly detailed. The vibe I'm getting now is War of the Ring for some inexplicable reason.

It's cleverly done as a prequel to LOTR, setting up the conditions for the events in the novels. In this, it reminds me of the first LOTR collectable card game that came out years ago. Looks like an excellent and fun design. Looking forward to it.

While I was hopng for full coop, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the rules...

I wonder what its solo potential will be?It would be interesting to run a good or evil hero/minion against the system.Probably it won't have Solo rules but it should be fairly easy to home rule some.

I was sort of turned off by the earlier description of the game which to me sounded like a rehash of the LoTR on a individual basis but the sort of prequel setting hits the right note.Can't wait till see the rules.

OD

At $79.95, this will have to have solo playability for me, cuz that's a lot of coin for my pocket to handle.

Personally I dont get the "runbound"feeling about it at all.. Looks more like a lot of the other game ideas rolled into one AWSOME game (fingers crossed). Anything LoTR is good in my book as long as it's carried off correctly... From the descriptions I'd say it's kept to 4 player to keep the downtime under control. If there are elements of Runbound/Talisman in it where players do things and everyone waits around, then things can quickly bog down to a waiting game..

Just my thoughts.

Play on !!

i dont get the runebound feeling either and personaly i think it is fine as a four player game (mainly because i only have one person to play games with lol) and i cant wait to get it

David above was referring to Middle Earth:The Wizards, one of the very finest CCGs to be released, ever, imho.

If this game from FFG is 1/2 as good as that card game, the MSRP of $79.95 would be more than worth it. A bargain, in fact.

I have high hopes for FFG's release; they rarely, rarely disappoint.

Even if it takes a couple of months and an expansion to get it right! ;) lol

i want to check this one out,looks(and sounds!)like a great time to be had!! happy.gif