No Hobbits?

By BotanyGuy, in Middle-earth Quest

Okay, I'm really excited to finally get some info on the game. And I know I'll probably get it despite the price tag. But I am a bit disappointed there isn't a hobbit playable character!

he he who cares. Wow i wonder who the designer is, the artwork is gorgeous, FFG has really evolved during the years. Lets hope the game mechanics and its as fun as play as it looks

Somebody said he learned it was Corey Konieczka and Christian Peterson. So there is no way I am missing this game.

Hobbitses ... we hates them!

No doubt there will be a Hobbit/Shire expansion, eh? gui%C3%B1o.gif

I agree...both on the hates and expansion part.

It has a Dwarf....what else is really needed gran_risa.gif

OD

Elves? Has it got elves? I must use elves. Nothing better than using Legolas and headshotting 3 orcs with 1 shot

Okay, the game DOES look sweet despite the fact that there aren't any hobbit characters (to play as or kill!) At least the other major races are represented!

Old Dwarf said:

It has a Dwarf....what else is really needed gran_risa.gif

OD

Seconded!...

Knuckles Eki said:

Elves? Has it got elves? I must use elves. Nothing better than using Legolas and headshotting 3 orcs with 1 shot

One of the characters is an elf.

JerusalemJones said:

Knuckles Eki said:

One of the characters is an elf.

Say no more, I must get it

Down the road there needs to be an expansion for evil characters, who will work to find clues about the ring as well, but for the benefit of Sauron, not the good guys. The same game but just reverse the roles and goals.

No Hobbits definately vastly increases my interest in this game. I HATE Hobbits too. Mainly because of Middle-Earth ccg (the ICE one, not the movie tie-in).

Then again, Age of Conan is still on my to-buy list. So many games, so little money, so little time to play llorando.gif .

TheDukester said:

Hobbitses ... we hates them!

No, my precious. Hobbitses are good....with salt and pepper, they are.

80$ is a stiff price tag for me to get any game....much less a board game. The rules, yet to be released, better shine with the sun to make it worth justifying to the wife; especially with layoffs looming in the future.

There is an elf, a dwarf, a ranger, a human from Gondor and a rider of Rohan. Only three playable at a time, but those are the choices.

Dam said:

I HATE Hobbits too. Mainly because of Middle-Earth ccg (the ICE one, not the movie tie-in).

Whaaat? I don't get it. What was it about the Hobbits in MECCG that you didn't like? You weren't forced to use them... yeah, they are HORRIBLE in combat (as they should be) but they are excellent at AVOIDING combat (as they should be). There are plenty of decks you can play without ever needing a Hobbit... unless you play a "Dunk the Ring" deck which really needs to have either Frodo or Bilbo. Other than that, you could avoid them entirely in your own deck...

Ah.... I see it now, you were foiled by your OPPONENT'S Hobbits. Well, I could see that. :-)

As you can tell, MECCG is one of my favorite games.

To get back on topic, I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that this game will prove to be top-notch, with high replayability. In fact, I'm *really* hoping it has the flexibility of some of the old I.C.E. Tolkien games. I'm glad it's an adversarial game; I own Runebound already and wouldn't want to see this as a simple re-theme of the same (or very similar) game engine.

EDIT: Weird. My post is included in the quote. Not sure why. :(

Talarius said:

Whaaat? I don't get it. What was it about the Hobbits in MECCG that you didn't like? You weren't forced to use them... yeah, they are HORRIBLE in combat (as they should be) but they are excellent at AVOIDING combat (as they should be). There are plenty of decks you can play without ever needing a Hobbit... unless you play a "Dunk the Ring" deck which really needs to have either Frodo or Bilbo. Other than that, you could avoid them entirely in your own deck...

Ah.... I see it now, you were foiled by your OPPONENT'S Hobbits. Well, I could see that. :-)

As you can tell, MECCG is one of my favorite games.

Actually, the most common hobbit deck I see these days is hobbits in dragon country, collecting Greater Items, since they're pretty much immune to corruption cards and have bonuses to corruption checks. Hazard limit 2, pretty much can't play any creatures is the norm, even if you do, those with 1 strike (say Cave Worm) will get Fattied/Concealmented/Noble Steeded/Halfling Stealthed/etc. And if you somehow manage to wound them, they rarely die, and with Halfling Strength, their back on their feet without needing to stop at Haven. The most common Dunk Deck seems to be the Party Dunk.

Do you still play? Have you tried it online with GCCG?

Yes, I have been playing regularly the last couple months and you're absolutely right about all those nasssty hobbitses and their tricksy ways. lol. I am on GCCG ocassionally, but don't play many games, as I rarely have enough time. But I've been getting face-to-face games in down at the gamestore. :-)

Dam said:

No Hobbits definately vastly increases my interest in this game. I HATE Hobbits too. Mainly because of Middle-Earth ccg (the ICE one, not the movie tie-in).

Then again, Age of Conan is still on my to-buy list. So many games, so little money, so little time to play llorando.gif .

I'm on ok terms with hobbits in MECCG. But I learned to kinda hate dwarves - it just took me sooo long to get all of those from The Hobbit adventure happy.gif

Give me a hobbit

vip

randor

Let me guess, a playable hobbit character will show up in a future "expansion"?

partido_risa.gif

It makes absolute sense that there's no hobbit character playable. The only hobbit outside the Shire during the game's time period was Bilbo, and he never left Rivendell once he got there.

I agree with Bitva ... How could you possibly include an hobitt ?? Something like a lone wanderer who leaves the shire (just like bilbo) to battle foes ? If they don´t want to waste the game that charakter would be rather weak ...

I however wonder if there aren´t any hobbit NPCs ... They could include some hobbits you meet in the Shire or even Bilbo somewhere on his one quest ... Your charakter then could aid his party for some nice bonuses ...

randor said:

Give me a hobbit

Sorry, can't. They've taken the hobbits to Isenguard.