Force Power: Seek, the flavor doesn’t fit the mechanics

By Snakesandsuns, in Game Mechanics

In the flavor text of Seek it talks about finding things forgotten and lost. However mechanically it only helps you find something or someone you have encountered before. Which is not to say it isn’t useful but it doesn’t do what it is flavored to do. I cannot use Seek to find a hidden Jedi tomb but I can use it to find something stolen from me. However the text makes it seem like you should be able to do both. Maybe encounter is the wrong word for this?

I'd assume the actual mechanics are as they were meant, as changing it to allow something you've yet to actually encounter basically turns you into Jack Sparrow with his compass - you can find anything or anyone with minimal hassle. And while that can be kind of neat on occasion, it's bound to be a pain for the GM and grow to be annoying for players. Heck, even as is it's a little crazy since you could conceivably keep tabs on anyone as long as you commit a force die or two.

That said, I agree that the text could definitely be re-worked a little bit to more appropriately fit the actual use and mechanics of the power.

I would also argue that this is the basic purpose of Seek. If you want to seek out a lost Jedi temple using Seek, he very well may let you do it. However, I'd say it was situational, and that the mechanics may differ a great deal--I know I wouldn't let a player find a lost temple simply by rolling decently on a Force die.

Well if the force users could use Seek to find lost and hidden jedi tombs and temples and such, those wouldn't be forgotten or hidden now would they?

Well I would assume you would have to actually do some research to know it exists first. Like finding the reminants of an ancient journal or a recording of some sort. perhaps it could be reworded that you have to have encountered the target or become familiar with it though extensive research.

However I am not arguing that Seek doesn't work, it just doesn't do what it says it does in the flavor text. Finding lost and forgotten things, change that and I think the purpose of Seek would be clearer.