Additional effect of the Dark Side Suggestion

By Thebearisdriving, in Game Mechanics

I would like to see darkside characters approach the force in a different way than non-darkside characters. It is often represented in the EU fiction and even in the movies that this is one of many ways that sith approach force use as opposed to the Jedi.

As such, I proposed that when a character becomes a dark side character, the instead of using discipline to activate force powers they would use coercion. This would accomplish a couple things that I would like to see represented.

First, it would make becoming dark side have an additional consequence, showing that the fundamental approach to using the force changes, not just that you want a different colored pip. Intimidation and fear becomes the character's modus operandi, and creates a different synergy.

Second, it reinforces the mystique of the sith and other darksiders and how they are "unnatural" forcing and coercing the universe to bend to their whims and not living in harmony with the force. This is mostly a fluff/lore element, but would do a lot to help play up a character's fall. Suddenly their inner peace is not attainable to use the force in the same way.

Lastly, this would create an interesting penalty for going darkside. dumping all the xp into discipline is not a one size fits all solution. it helps characters that would tread the line from just going darkside without hesitation as they may not be as successful at their force powers. and once a darksider has embraced the coercion use if they are redeemed, they have to change their approach at force use again.

I feel this would enhance some of the consequences of going darkside and being redeemed, and would help differentiate character design.

The thing though, is that the whole dipping into darker sources to fuel powers aspect is sort of already included in the force dice. Dark points being the easier (on more sides) but weaker (more sides are 1 point than 2), and this is kind of added into Morality with automatic conflict gain, and for grey/light siders who need to spend Destiny Point and strain first.

And as much as Discipline has too much thrown onto it, Coerce really isn't a fit for most force powers. You aren't exactly a Sinestro Corp member/Yellow Lantern, where your power comes from people being scared of you and you scaring them. It feeds off your more reckless and darker emotions, your hate and what-not. As such, you still need to focus properly to channel this energy into something, which is what Discipline is.

The thing though, is that the whole dipping into darker sources to fuel powers aspect is sort of already included in the force dice. Dark points being the easier (on more sides) but weaker (more sides are 1 point than 2), and this is kind of added into Morality with automatic conflict gain, and for grey/light siders who need to spend Destiny Point and strain first.

And as much as Discipline has too much thrown onto it, Coerce really isn't a fit for most force powers. You aren't exactly a Sinestro Corp member/Yellow Lantern, where your power comes from people being scared of you and you scaring them. It feeds off your more reckless and darker emotions, your hate and what-not. As such, you still need to focus properly to channel this energy into something, which is what Discipline is.

I disagree. But that's ok. I don't see discipline as a skill that let's your hate flow. Rather a skill that exemplifies the channeling of rage and fear (coerce) is a little more apropo. Example of episode one, as quigon meditates and maul seethes.

...You aren't exactly a Sinestro Corp member/Yellow Lantern, where your power comes from people being scared of you and you scaring them. It feeds off your more reckless and darker emotions, your hate and what-not. As such, you still need to focus properly to channel this energy...

I didn't notice this earlier and wanted to draw attention to it. In several SW stories (specifically involving Mace Windu, Juyo, Vaapad, and Dun Moch) the fear of an opponent is something that does fuel a dark sider. they feed on the hate, fear, jealousy, etc. around them, gaining strength not only from their own passion, but from the residual emotional states of others.

As an example from the (dreaded) prequels, the dark side was gaining strength not only because palaptine was steeped in it, but also because it became the predominant emotional state of the galaxy. the miasma of negative ju ju was something that palpatine fed from.

I didn't notice this earlier and wanted to draw attention to it. In several SW stories (specifically involving Mace Windu, Juyo, Vaapad, and Dun Moch) the fear of an opponent is something that does fuel a dark sider. they feed on the hate, fear, jealousy, etc. around them, gaining strength not only from their own passion, but from the residual emotional states of others.

As an example from the (dreaded) prequels, the dark side was gaining strength not only because palaptine was steeped in it, but also because it became the predominant emotional state of the galaxy. the miasma of negative ju ju was something that palpatine fed from.

To use the light side of the force you need to clear your mind and focus on what you are trying to do.

To use the dark side you need to fill your mind with negative emotions and focus on what you are trying to do.

Ask any actor and they'll tell you that conjuring emotions, good or bad, requires the same mental focus that Discipline currently represents.

EU issues aside (I really don't like to use them in stuff like this when I can avoid it), the fear mechanic already covers this angle. You come around a corner to find Darth Vader sanding there, you make a fear check, and if you don't roll well you can end up looking at delayed action (Ohh monologueing time!), setbacks, increased difficulty, or all three.

And nowhere in films does it say that the darksides growing strength is somehow powering Palps... If anything I see Yoda as just being kinda a jerk about his roll results... there's kinda a precedent for that...

YodaFail.jpg

Edited by Ghostofman

giphy.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lorne, this seems to be your favourite actress :) What movie do you keep digging these up from?