Bah! Help me get around this bit of writers block (Mike stay out!)

By Desslok, in General Discussion

Okay, so I'm putting together a start of a new game, set in the Sith/Republic cold war - so some 3,000 ish years prior to Yavin (basically during the TOR MMO time frame). The idea is about 90% fleshed out, but hell if I cant connect the dots on this ONE plot point and I thought I'd come see what you guys had.

(If your name is Mike don't click on this button)

Okay, so this outer rim planet that everyone is starting on is about to be invaded by the Sith, to establish a Security Buffer Zone between the two boarders (A BS excuse for more system grabbing - but hey, it worked for North Korea). As a prelude to this invasion, I was thinking they'd have a cell on planet, sending information back, coordinating things on the ground, and otherwise making sure everything is cool for the incoming fleet.

One of the characters - a padawan - was on a completely unrelated mission, had an Holochron stolen and go missing and was she hunting it down. I was thinking that instead of finding the stolen holochron, they'd find and/or eavesdrop on the beach-head cell instead. Problem is - every angle I came up with to drop this cell in their lap sounded contrived and boring. Spot an agent, pick up a stray transmission - it all seemed crap.

So, how to get the players to accidentally learn of this cell, but in a creative, cool or dramatic manner?

(If your name is Mike don't click on this button. If you're not the Mike referred to, I'm sorry you're tarred with the same brush.)

Perhaps while meditating, they're drawn to a Vergence in the Force; especially effective several days running (and growing stronger each time) should it be ignored. Following it leads them to a villa on the outskirts of town that is strangely deserted. If they investigate, they sense very dark, and Forceful presences; perhaps someone using Sense would get a 'deus ex' hint by overhearing a bit of the conversation.

Oooh, that's an idea - normal conventional means don't work, so out of desperation, she goes 'what the hell' and turns to Force? Its better than anything I've gotten on paper so far.

It was more along the lines of I expect Force users to meditate periodically. Recurring dreams in restless sleep is another avenue.

Alternately - if the encounter has to happen, why not turn it around if they take too long? Make the Sith Inquisitor discover a nexus of light-side energies - they come to investigate/destroy and find the Player Characters at home. Fight ensues, some flee, the rest have clues as to where they're staying or are observed returning there by someone at the 'police' surveillance center with Republic sympathies.

Well here is where I would start. Who stole the holocron and why? how did they know it was there? What is that persons goal. Are they related to the Sith cell?

As to ways of noticing the Cell. I would take a multi pronged approach. Go listen to order 66 episode on knowledge skills.
Then figure out these things

Perception extra successes notice x.that is a peace of the sith cell puzzle advantage adds minor details
vigilance gives other informations.

Basically come up with a bunch of likely rolls for the scenario and successes and advantage on those rolls yields details not related to the task at hand but points to an important new problem.

also always have multiple ways of getting important information to the character. and if the character not getting the info stalls the game. Give them the info.

Well here is where I would start. Who stole the holocron and why? how did they know it was there? What is that persons goal. Are they related to the Sith cell?

Actually the theft was totally unrelated and just a happenstance of incredibly poor timing. It's just laying the groundwork for future plot complications later down the road.

Basically come up with a bunch of likely rolls for the scenario and successes and advantage on those rolls yields details not related to the task at hand but points to an important new problem.

also always have multiple ways of getting important information to the character. and if the character not getting the info stalls the game. Give them the info.

Okay, I'll have to try that approach now that I've taken a break away from the keyboard and gotten some air.

I'm not looking. Does this bother you??? huh huh, I'm not looking.