Alcohol effects?

By Mikmaxs, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

What are they? I know that it'll eventually make you pass out, (Judging by the Carouse rules, and I know there are a couple other abilities that effect your reaction to Alcohol though I can't remember what they are,) but I want to know what else Alcohol does in terms of effects.

It's somewhat pertinent, since I'm rolling up a Forge World Adept character who, in addition to being extremely nearsighted and needing to wear glasses, has an addiction to gambling, smoking, and drinking. Gambling is mainly a roleplaying ability and there are rules for it, I think I can get away with roleplaying out Lho-sticks, but drinking should have actual effects.

So... Do these rules exist, or do I need to make them up?

I believe that alcohol, much like lho-addiction, does not have any explicit rules. This isn't Shadowrun.

That being said, it shouldn't be too hard to whip something up on the fly. Wouldn't Fatigue cover pretty much everything?

I believe that alcohol, much like lho-addiction, does not have any explicit rules. This isn't Shadowrun.

That being said, it shouldn't be too hard to whip something up on the fly. Wouldn't Fatigue cover pretty much everything?

I dunno, but I'll post something in the house rules later on if I come up with something fun!

I read the Carouse rules to get an idea, and apparently it covers all of the rules for drinking. Kind of.

Every time you drink, you take a Carouse test. If you pass you're fine, if you fail you take a level of fatigue. Passing out makes you fall unconscious for 1D10 hours.

Which is fine, except...

Decadence, instead, says you don't pass out until you fail a number of Toughness tests equal to twice your Toughness bonus.

So I'm confused. Do you take fatigue or not? 'Cause you don't pass out from the Toughness tests, just the fatigue...

Thanks for mentioning that Carouse actually has explicit rules. I guess that clears it up. :)

As for Decadence - I suppose this is an "add-on" rule that becomes active as soon as you'd pass out from Fatigue. Every time Fatigue would cause you to pass out, you instead roll for Toughness, with a fail-threshold equal to twice your TB.

We used to substitute fatigue from drinking, into a level of drunkenness, with a -10 applied to any applicable test (intelligence, perception, willpower) if your level of drunkenness exceeded your toughness bonus you'd pass out, just like fatigue, which I think neatens up the rules for decadence. If we were undercover at the time, there might be an intelligence/willpower test to not let a secret slip.

Halve Fellowship and Agility.

Double Toughness

Enemy seduction attempts automatically succeed, followed by automatic 1d5 Insanity Points in the morning.

Except for the seduction thing, those suggestions make no sense.

I speak from extensive experience :D

If this was Black Crusade, you could get a new Minion from the seduction thing.

You guys could also use the Toxin rules from DH02 The GM's Kit pp.30-31. For example, it could be a Swift/+30/Sedative.

Well, the Agility thing does kind of make sense.

Okay, this should be in house rules but screw it: MODIFIED ALCOHOL!

Every time a character drinks, they must take a Carouse test. On a pass, nothing happens. On a fail, they take one level of Drunkenness.

One level of Drunkenness applies a -10 penalty to all tests requiring fine manipulation, cunning, intelligence, dexterity, moral fiber, or skill. However, it also gives a +10 bonus to Strength and Fear tests as their inhibitions disappear. (Each additional level of Drunkenness applies an additional -5/+5.)

Optional Rule: The GM may decide that certain alcohols are stronger, weaker, or just downright weird. They may decide that the difficulty of the Carouse test is higher or lower than standard, and may also add any additional effects he or she deems appropriate.

A player make take up to their Toughness Bonus in drunkeness levels. If they exceeds their Toughness bonus, they will pass out for D10 hours and wake up with a blinding headache for D5 hours.

Decadence: If the character has the Decadence rule, they make take up to double their Toughness Bonus in drunkenness, but all bonuses and penalties are halved. (So, 1 level is -5/+5, two levels are -8/+8, three levels are -10/+10

I guess it depends on whether you want cinematic drunks or realistic alcohol poisoning.

Realistic alcohol poisoning may confer situationally positive things like an inflated sense of ability, self-worth and lowered inhibitions. But it also makes you dumber, slower, uncoordinated, easily swayed, and prone to panicking.

Cinematic drunkenness could make you calm under pressure, make you stronger, and while making you easier swayed could also make it easier for you to sway others.

Basically, I think this is a question of whether you want drunkenness to be cool - in which case it should have cool bonuses off-setting the penalties - or whether you just want drunken drunks.

In our games I would probably go cinematic if it came up, but actually, it never has. Drunkenness has always been handled by the players, purely as narrative. No dice rolling involved. I have occasionally given out modifiers to things like interaction tests based on drunkenness, but the magnitude of the modifiers have been suggested by the players and my only job there has been to try to keep them reasonably consistent.

You guys could also use the Toxin rules from DH02 The GM's Kit pp.30-31. For example, it could be a Swift/+30/Sedative.

Intoxication does wonders for my dancing skills....

Intoxication does wonders for my dancing skills....

I'm guessing you mean it does wonders for your self-esteem. Imagine how well you'd dance if you weren't drunk, but could still dance like no one was watching ;)

Also, pool. You drink a few pints, and you're "in the zone", potting those balls like there's no tomorrow.

(Then you have a few more and it all goes to *****)

Well, you remember it that way in any case. :)

Don't forget about computer programming:

http://xkcd.com/323/

My character is a drunk. For the most part, it's all RP, however, when suddenly alerted to a threat in the early morning, my GM had my character roll a Toughness Test to avoid having a Hangover. He succeeded, so I don't know what rules my GM would've used, but I'd assume something similar to Fatigue.

As I see plenty of discussion above about the stats for being drunk, I figure the stat penalties for being hung over should also be brought up. I'd say anything from a level of fatigue, to temporarily inheriting the Night Eyes malignancy (because, you know, bright light hurts when you're hung over). A penalty to Fellowship could also be applicable as well :)

My character is a drunk. For the most part, it's all RP, however, when suddenly alerted to a threat in the early morning, my GM had my character roll a Toughness Test to avoid having a Hangover. He succeeded, so I don't know what rules my GM would've used, but I'd assume something similar to Fatigue.

As I see plenty of discussion above about the stats for being drunk, I figure the stat penalties for being hung over should also be brought up. I'd say anything from a level of fatigue, to temporarily inheriting the Night Eyes malignancy (because, you know, bright light hurts when you're hung over). A penalty to Fellowship could also be applicable as well :)

Why not act as though under the effects of 'Inflict Pain' at all times? (IE, you must pass a Toughness Test to act normally, otherwise a -10 on every test.)

Why not act as though under the effects of 'Inflict Pain' at all times? (IE, you must pass a Toughness Test to act normally, otherwise a -10 on every test.)

I am going to add this to my House Rules. Very good idea.