Acquiring Minions

By player546410, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I thought I would post this here for anyone who was interested and/or wanted to steal them for their own game. This is a house rule set I designed for our game, to represent the ability to acquire people who were a little better then the random Bob on the ship. There are about a dozen that have been bought in our game so far. Its based, in many ways, on a stripped down version of Black Crusade.

Minions

Minions are a special kind of Acquisition representing an additional, lesser character who accompanies the player's main character on adventures. Unlike friendly NPCs, who's loyalty may be fleeting and their lives tied up in their occupations, Minions represent individuals who are under the Player's direct control, and although they may not follow every order perfectly, they are willing to serve, fight or even die for their leader. Minions can represent anything from servitors and servants to skilled assassins and bodyguards. Each Player may have a number of minions equal to their fellowship bonus.

Abilities : All stats start at 20, and you have 135 points to distribute among the nine basic stats. (Note: that's 15 each if you spread evenly) No stat can go above 45 at this stage. In addition to the standard Abilities, each Minion starts with a Loyalty score equal to it's leader's fellowship score.

Skills/Talents All Minions start with the following Skill/Talents:

Basic :
Awareness, Barter, Carouse, Charm, Climb, Command, Concealment, Contortionist, Deceive, Disguise, Dodge, Evaluate, Gamble, Inquiry, Intimidate, Logic, Scrutiny, Search, Silent Move, Swim
Trained :
Lore: Common (Imperium), Speak Language (Low Gothic), Trade (Pick One)
Talents
Weapon Proficiency (Pick 3 individual non-heavy/non-exotic)

Experience Minions gain an amount of XP to spend based on their hiring price. This is spent on the minion's table below. The amount of experience a minion has is dependent of their Availability. Likewise, the maximum Tier the minion can buy from is based on their quality.
Ubiquitous (0 xp)
Abundant (500 xp)
Plentiful (1000 xp)
Common (1500 xp)
Average (2000 xp)
Scarce (3000 xp)
Rare (4000 xp)
Very Rare (5000 xp)
Extremely Rare (6000 xp)
Near Unique (7000 xp)
Unique (8000 xp)

Poor (Tier 1)
Common (Tier 2)
Good (Tier 3)
Best (Tier 3)

Due to the costs of upkeep, minions are always bought individually, and gain no bonus for this.

Starting Items Minions start with 4 items, of the same quality as they were bought at, and a maximum rarity two levels more common than the minion was purchased at.

Spending Experience
Characteristic Increases : (including loyalty)
Simple (+5): 250 xp
Intermediate (+5): 500 xp

Skills :

Tier Basic Trained Expert (+10)

Tier 1 50 xp 100 xp 150 xp

Tier 2 100 xp 150 xp 250 xp

Tier 3 150 xp 250 xp 350 xp

Tier 1 Skills:
Acrobatics, Awareness, Blather, Carouse, Charm, Climb, Common Lore (Administorum, Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed, Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Imperium, Koronus Expanse, War) Deceive, Drive (Ground, Walker), Evaluate, Inquiry, Intimidate, Performer, Search, Swim, Speak Language (High Gothic, Techna-Lingua, Trader's Cant), Trade (Any Simple Trade), Wrangling.

Tier 2 Skills:
Barter, Commerce, Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Adeptus Astra Telepathics, Adeptus Mechanicus, Navis Nobilite, Rogue Traders, Technology), Concealment, Disguise, Dodge, Forbidden Lore** (Archeotech, Heresy, Mutants, Pirates, Psychers, Xenos), Gamble, Literacy, Navigation (Surface), Scholastic Lore: (Astromancy, Beasts, Bureaucracy, Heraldry, Imperial Creed, Legend, Numerology, Philosophy, Tactica Imperialus. Secret Language (Military, Rogue Trader (Drake), Technology, Under-deck), Scrutiny, Security, Shadowing, Slight of Hand, Silent Move, Speak Language (Eldar, Explorator Binary, Kroot), Survival, Trade (Skilled Trade)

Tier 3 Skills:
Chem-Use, Ciphers (Rogue Trader, Mercenary, Nobilite Encoding, Astropath, Underworld), Command, Demolition, Drive (Skimmer), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Demonology, Inquisition, Navagators, The Warp), Interrogation, Invocation*, Lip Reading, Logic, Medicate, Navigate (Warp, Steller), Pilot (All), Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Archaic, Chymistry, Cryptology, Imperial Warrants, Judgment, Navis Nobilitie, Occult), Secret Tongue (Administratum, Ecclesiarchy, Navigator), Tech-Use, Tracking.

Dangerous to Know : Any Minion who takes Forbidden Lore skill also gains 1d5 insanity, and must make a willpower check (+0) or suffer a Mental Disorder.

Talents :
Known
Tier 1 250 xp
Tier 2 500 xp
Tier 3 750 xp

Tier 1 Talents
Ambidexterous, Basic Weapon Training (Any 1), Berserk Charge, Cat Fall, Chem Geld, Concealed Cavity, Decadence, Double Team, Hatred (Any 1), Leap Up, Light Sleeper, Melee Weapon Training (Any 1), Quick Draw, Thrown Weapon Training,

Tier 2 Talents
Assassin Strike, Basic Weapon Training (Universal), Blind Fighting, Cleanse and Purify, Combat Sense, Crushing Blow, Deadeye Shot, Disarm, Flame Weapon Training (Universal), Frenzy, Guardian, Heavy Weapon Training (Any 1), Heightened Senses, Melee Weapon Training (Universal), Mighty Shot, Paranoia, Peer, Sprint, Unarmed Warrior, Unremarkable, Unshakeable Faith,

Teir 3 Talents
Autosanguine, Blade Master, Bulging Biceps, Duty unto Death, Exotic Weapon, Foresight, Training (Any 1), Good Reputation, Hard Target, Heavy Weapon training (Universal), Jaded, Litany of Hate, Marksmen, Mechadendrite Use*, Mimic, Polyglot, Psychic Technique*, Pure Faith, Resistance, Flesh is Weak (1), Total Recall, True Grit, Two Weapon Wielder (Ballistic, Melee)

Edited by Quicksilver

Thanks for sharin this Quicksilver.

I don't know what the impact is of this rule but I'm surely going to transmit this to our GM.

So far I was able to acquire a Charron Pattern Servitor without much trouble but I can see lot's of use for personal minions. (I'm currently playing Explorator).

How do you determine wounds?

Also Made A Felinid Bodyguard/co-pilot

Very Rare-Good Quality ( could be taken as starting acquisition ) Bah don't gain bonus for being bought individually.

WS: 55

BS: 20

Str:50

Tou:50

Agi:55

Per:45

int:20

Wil:35

Fel:20

Acrobatics:55

Awareness(+10):55

Contortionist:55

Lore: Common (Imperium):20

pilot(all)(+10):65

Scrutiny:45

Speak Language (Low Gothic):20

Trade:Armourer(Agi):55

Ambidextrous

Two weapon wielder(Melee)

Crushing blow(+2 to damage)

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-Chainsword)

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-Powersword)

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-PrimativeSword)

Interkeratic Implants(Dark sight and photon grenade immunity)

Good Quality Imperial Guard Flak armor 4 armor all, 5 armor first round of combat

Good Quality Chainsword, Hypraphur pattern x2

1d10+3 Pen:2 tearing which makes

1d10+10 Pen:2 tearing with +5 to hit from quality.

Edited by Cultadium

I know what I'm going to get four of now!

"PROTECT ME, SQUIRE!"

Oh, good point. We just used the normal d5+2xT. Didn't think to write it down.

Also Cult, doesn't a starting aquisition need to be +0? The rules specify that you don't apply Number bonus to Minions.

Also, the starting weapon proficiencies are for specific weapons, not weapon categories. So it would be Weap. Prof. (Lasgun) not Weap. Prof (Basic Las)

Edited by Quicksilver

I can haz 40k catgirls? :D

1393019040315.jpg

so adorable!

I love the loyalty factor and its starting value = character's Fel. Consider that stolen.

Starting acquisitions also have to be "single items." I, like many GMs, ignore that.

Honestly, though, I just make the players "acquire" minions that I draw up. They can "play" their minions any time they want, and thus gain XP for them during play, but their PC gets sidelined for that scene. You've got a really good system, Quick, but without a really active bunch of players that could just as easily be GMing a game, it would be hard to get them to flesh out NPCs, or such is my experience, even when all I ask them for are 3 adjectives that describe the NPCs personalities.

Thank you Errant,

That's a very true point about it being hard to get people to flesh out NPCs. I'm in the unusual position of being in a gaming group that consist entirely of GMs and Rogue Trader just happens to be my game of the lot. So I can lean a bit more on my players then other people have the luxury of doing. Particularly a couple of them who are the "world builder" type GMs and would flesh out NPCs and descriptions whether I wanted them to or not. :P

Thank you Errant,

That's a very true point about it being hard to get people to flesh out NPCs. I'm in the unusual position of being in a gaming group that consist entirely of GMs and Rogue Trader just happens to be my game of the lot. So I can lean a bit more on my players then other people have the luxury of doing. Particularly a couple of them who are the "world builder" type GMs and would flesh out NPCs and descriptions whether I wanted them to or not. :P

That's me.

"So my RT is Alessunder Malaki. He is from Kallidus, a medieval world turned fortress world because....."

Ten minutes later...

Thank you Errant,

The real fun begins when they start to have alternative interpretaions of NPC's and organisations.

Gm: The empire is bad m'kay! you are supposed to be rebels.

Tim: Actually I'm a smuggler turned bounty hunter, I don't mind working for these guys.

Bruce: Yeah and Sith are cool man! We gotta go find Darth Vader and ask if i can be his aprentice

Gm: Why?

Bruce: Force choke, Sith lightning, Red light sabers...

Mike: Yeah man! the rebels are terrorist scum!

Bruce: For the Emperor!

Tim: Wrong game, Bruce!

GM: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by Robin Graves

11 wounds

Felinid pilot

Average-Good Quality (could be taken as starting acquisition)

No longer bad-ass. Still good for a chauffeur though.

WS: 45

BS: 20

Str:45

Tou:40

Agi:55

Per:45

int:20

Wil:35

Fel:20

Acrobatics:45

Awareness:45

Contortionist:45

Lore: Common (Imperium):20

pilot(all)(+20):75

Scrutiny(+10):55

Speak Language (Low Gothic):20

Trade:Armourer(Agi)(+10):65

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-Chainsword)

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-Powersword)

Weapon Proficiency(Melee-Knife)

Armor- Bracers (body,arm,legs) 1 AP (Primative) (Good quality so counts as AP 2 primative 1st round)

Good Quality Voidsuit

Good Quality Backpack

Good Quality Knife (+5 to hit!)

1d5 (primative)

1d5+4 (primative)

Edited by Cultadium