Friends such as sebastian and phil and winnie the pooh

By Ichiban829, in Rules Discussions

What has me confused are friend cards such as sebastianl, phil and pooh and other cards like them. Like Sebastian lv 1 says all attack card value become 0, so does that mean as long as he is on my friend area this effect activates and stays, or that effect only happens during challenge and i use him as a support? Same with phil and pooh, do they need to remain on my friend area for their effect to work and continue to work or do they need to be as a support? Thank you

The moment they hit the field in your friend area, their effects take place, 'n are in constant affect until someone somehow gets rid of them (usually by a Darkside). So if you've a Sebastian, Phil, Winnie the Pooh lvl 1, 'n Owl on the field, you have what everyone calls 'The Wall'.

Note, however, that with Sebastian, attack cards can still be play'd, so if you challenge someone as Riku with him on the field, n you play Soul Eater, 'n win the challenge (via friends, most likely), then certainly, Soul Eater's effect does kick in. The same with Fairy's Harp 'n Olympia. Some would even argue that Ultima Weapon's effect works as well, but don't quote me on this.

I find 'The Wall' to be most effective, 'n yet, out of all of those cards, I find Phil to be the most useless. Haven't had a need to run him in any of my decks as of late, really. It's quite funny to me, since I've heard so many people rave about him bein in every single deck, 'n here I use him as a bookmark. Irony, really.

Choitz said:

I find 'The Wall' to be most effective, 'n yet, out of all of those cards, I find Phil to be the most useless. Haven't had a need to run him in any of my decks as of late, really. It's quite funny to me, since I've heard so many people rave about him bein in every single deck, 'n here I use him as a bookmark. Irony, really.

I would say this is probably because no one runs magic anymore because of the THREAT of Phil. His reputation killed his usefulness as it were, lol.

I'd have to agree. Phil's rep certainly did a number on him that people alter'd their decks drastically to the point that magic was almost useless. I say almost to this, 'n will continue to say almost. Phil hasn't kill'd magic off yet.

There's a bit of humor behind it as well. I run certain magic cards that I would much rather actually be able to play, such as Gravity-ira-iga or Aerora. However, in order to do that, Phil can't be out on the field. Hence why I find him rather useless.

But Owl 'n Sebastian? I can discard them with Tidus (as well as my opponent, unfortunately) easily 'n get the full effects 'n use out of my cards. Then I carry a spare second for those 'just in case' moments. Sure, I'd have to use my one card to get rid of a friend, but follow that up with three Bambi lvl 3's, a trio of Bouncywilds/Herc/Beast combos, 'n follow through with a Cheshire Cat/Aquatank/heartless combo, 'n I've ran through my deck in a matter of minutes. 'N that's not to say if I draw any extra draw cards from the draws I do (ie: King, certain worlds, etc.). In a 41 card deck, you can skim through it in a matter of seconds if you have the right cards available ('n I certainly know I do).

Now, if they made Phil a lvl 0 friend, I'd say he'd be less broken 'n useless, due to havin the drawback of Tidus-B-Gone. Sure, he'd be the first lvl 0 friend with a +6 support, but he wouldn't be a pain to have around anymore. Heck, he might even be fun to run in a deck.

Here's hopin the next set will have somethin that'll give the game a kick. I'd like to see a lil mix up, certainly.

I've personally never seen Sebastian as a viable card, I mean he's got his usefulness I guess, but he's really an anti aggro card for World Racers and most people play Aggro, so your not gonna see too much of him in a given meta and if you do, like you said, everyone packs Tidus anymore and he's just gonna be Tidused away.

Owl is more useful though, sure you can Tidus him away but more often then not, I've found he'll get the job done before Tidus takes him out and I've always got a backup Owl as well as my own Tidus' to take out any of the little fishing pole swingin bugger you may have. Bottom line, control is huge in a lot of metas right now and that calls on Owl, Phil, Pinnochio, Monstro, so on. To not run these cards is taking a big gamble...someone running control will be consistant, while someone running a draw deck like the one you describe will be waiting for your window to go off...a window that may never come.

I'm quite surprised Sebastians not useful for an aggro deck. He doesn't say attack cards can't be play'd, but moreso attack card values are reduced to 0. One would think that you pack Soul Eater, Olympia, 'n Fairy Harp, you still get their effect, since they really don't need their attack values added, due to it bein so little. Pull those out with Sebastian on the field, 'n your opponent is stuck with cards like Divine Rose, Oblivion, 'n Ultima Weapon in their hand with little to no use whatsoever until their turn, in which you've a stock'd field ready 'n waitin for their attack (if they so much decide they'd like to attack you on their turn). Now, I'm not sayin Sebastian is a necessity, but I've seen him take a few aggro decks to victory, due to the opponent bein pester'd by the lack of use in their cards. 'N we all know the best way to stop a world runner, certainly (heh, I've seen one world have 11 heartless on in before. I loved that deck).

Although, as I think of it, what would be consider'd the best aggro protection style? Playin 'The Wall' with Deep Jungle lvl 3? Heck, I know Monstro lvl 1 is useful to keep their cards limited, but there are ways around it. Or maybe sittin on Atlantica lvl 2, while attackin your opponent? I dunno. Too many choices, too many strategies, too many options.

Needless to say, I love this game!

Choitz said:

I'm quite surprised Sebastians not useful for an aggro deck. He doesn't say attack cards can't be play'd, but moreso attack card values are reduced to 0. One would think that you pack Soul Eater, Olympia, 'n Fairy Harp, you still get their effect, since they really don't need their attack values added, due to it bein so little. Pull those out with Sebastian on the field, 'n your opponent is stuck with cards like Divine Rose, Oblivion, 'n Ultima Weapon in their hand with little to no use whatsoever until their turn, in which you've a stock'd field ready 'n waitin for their attack (if they so much decide they'd like to attack you on their turn).

Ah, this is why I LOVE Sebastian. I usually have him out with Owl and Phil with an Invisible on the opponents world. It REALLY doesn't help them at all gran_risa.gif

Well what about winnie the pooh lvl 1's effect in this situation?

You have Riku lvl3 as your player card and your friends that is currently in play is Winnie the Pooh lvl1, Yuffie lvl2, and Beast lvl3 on the field, while your opponent has lvl Promo Flag Sora on the field with no friends. You move to your battle phase and attack with Beast. Does Promo Flag Sora's effect still work even though his attack value is reduced to zero? Would it be a different scenerio if your opponent's player card was Roxas equiped with OathKeeper?(So I heard that Oathkeeper and other keyblade cards are turning into equips.)

sungtrs said:

You have Riku lvl3 as your player card and your friends that is currently in play is Winnie the Pooh lvl1, Yuffie lvl2, and Beast lvl3 on the field, while your opponent has lvl Promo Flag Sora on the field with no friends. You move to your battle phase and attack with Beast. Does Promo Flag Sora's effect still work even though his attack value is reduced to zero? Would it be a different scenerio if your opponent's player card was Roxas equiped with OathKeeper?(So I heard that Oathkeeper and other keyblade cards are turning into equips.)

Nevermind....I just found the answer XD

sungtrs said:

sungtrs said:

Nevermind....I just found the answer XD

To clarify just incase someone else wants to know, I beleive (dont know and I'm too lazy since it's 1 AM to get my binder) that Pooh lvl 1 states that the attack is reduced to zero. My understanding would be that the red block becomes zero, anything added afterwards would be in the same boat because additions are added before effects so you may get the +4 but it still gets pumped back to 0 from Pooh. Mr. Dawn, Sir Lawliet, or Mr. Jafar may correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I found the answer on the "Wakka VS. Winnie Lv1" Thread. Thank you for clarifying things :D