Healing Power not working on self

By Wulie, in Game Mechanics

Hey folks,

I recently got a little bit of confusion over the use of the Heal-Power when I try to use it on myself. Is it a bad wording that I can use it only on others- am I completly missunderstanding the part, or is ist really intentional that you cannot heal yourself with it?

What do you think?

Only use it on others is the way it always read to me.

Would be a good control box addition to the bottom of the left column for 20 point to use on self.

T

Well, I think the thing to bear in mind is that FFG seems to be sticking to the higher levels of canon (at least at this time), and we really don't have many examples of someone using Force healing on themselves outside of video games.

Plus, there's already a self-healing effect in the game, namely stimpacks.

Although, after reading the power, it just says "engaged living target that you can touch" as far as who you can affect with Heal. Since the user is a living target, I'd say they qualify as a being eligible for Heal. If the intent by the writers was that Heal could only be used on others, they may want to specify that.

I'd allow it. I see it sort of like how Force Sensitive Exile's Overwhelm Emotions is like a more basic, less useful version of the Influence power. So much like how the Healer tree has Healing Trance which allows more basic and passive self-healing, the actual Heal power lets you be more active in trying to heal yourself/somebody else.

Although, after reading the power, it just says "engaged living target that you can touch" as far as who you can affect with Heal. Since the user is a living target, I'd say they qualify as a being eligible for Heal.

2-International-Man-of-Mystery.gif

Speaking of healing trance... It just doesn't seem to work very well. 24 hours of a lower Force rating? So someone can be in a trance while fighting?

Speaking of healing trance... It just doesn't seem to work very well. 24 hours of a lower Force rating? So someone can be in a trance while fighting?

I think it's meant to be a self generated Bacta Tank effect.

Probably not. It's more akin to being shoved into a bacta tank as 2P51 noted. As such, I'd say the PC is out of action while in their trance.

Healing trance is rather useless at lower power levels. However, getting 3 ranks and a FR of 2 allows 6 wounds to be healed per day. Yes, your character is basically out of action for 1 day, but that isn't that large of a tradeoff. It can take a full day just to get to some places.

Healing "Trance" is just a name, there is nothing in the mechanics that says you're out of action. It's more of a Force regeneration than a trance, since you can still do other things while the Force die is committed. If you don't take any Force powers, than you have one Force die just kind of sitting there, not doing much, so you might as well commit it to gain the regen.

-EF

Maybe they should rename it to something other than "trance" then. Most people see that word and tend to assume you are mediating, at least in regards to Jedi's. Maybe just call it Regeneration?

Personally, I would have liked to see the Healing Trance confer a day's worth of rest in a shorter period of time, but otherwise working basically the same way. Maybe rest for 6 hours and regain wounds as though you had rested for one full day per Force die committed. Something like that.

I think we have some examples of Jedi using something akin to healing trance while up and about to heal slowly while still in the action, like Luke on the Eye of Palpatine, though I think he was not only committing one or more Force dice to his health, but also taking additional strain in doing so. That could be an interesting trade-off.

I wasn't a big fan of Healing Trance getting stuck in a single specialization when the ability seems semi-common among the Jedi in the books. I would have preferred to see it as one of: a secondary effect for the Heal Basic power, replace the Heal Basic power (moving Heal wounds to a Control Upgrade since the ability to enter a recuperative trance is far more common than Jedi using the Force to heal someone else), or as a cheap Control Upgrade to Heal.

On the Heal power itself, I liked Donovan's starting version a little better in that I think it makes more sense for the power to heal Strain as the basic power and upgrade to Wounds, rather than the reverse which it does now.

The mechanical description of the power does not seem to forbid the use of the power on oneself:

"The user may spend Ω to remove a number of wounds equal to his Intellect from an engaged living creature."

but may be it will good for the developers to clarify it.

It's the short-hand description that is causing the confusion on whether it can heal the user.

I think the second sentence in the basic power description is pretty clear and unambiguous myself, it's used on "comrades injuries".