Fate Point recovery

By ColArana, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

One of the points in the Errata that I've been puzzling over for a little, is the note made about using a Fate Point to recover damage. Notably, the point that states it does not recover Critical Damage.

Does this mean a character who is at critical wounds cannot use this power to recover? I have generally been under the assumption that a character who is Critically damaged cannot recover wounds until the critical damage has been dealt with (and indeed, most other healing abilities, including Medicae, recovery, Seal Wounds, Regeneration and Healer seem to support this).

So what happens if a Critically damaged character uses this power to recover wounds? Does it just not work? Or do they somehow recover wounds while remaining Critically damaged?

And on that note, if it is the "you recover wounds while keeping Critical Damage", if, for arguments sake, the character used multiple Fate Points to heal and got up to say... one or two wounds short of their maximum, are they counted as being lightly wounded or Critically Wounded?

The way I handled this matter was basically

- You recover wounds, critical damage still applies.

- For any and all purposes you are considered Critially Injured.

Allows the Character to potentially take one or two more weak hits.

I had personally not spotted that rule change in the errata, and are personally not going to play with it. If my psyker "friend" can heal me on day one from critical wounds can the might of the emperor and his saints do the same thing!

I allow my players to use a fate point to remove critical damage OR gain wounds eg. First fate point removes critical damage leaving the player at 0 wounds, the second fate point would then, heal them.

I'd allow reducing critical damage, but not actually healing the effects of the critical damage already taken - ie, if your arm is broken, you can reduce the critical damage via Fate, but your arm is still broken, and can get broken again if you take new critical damage on it, it's just broken in a different spot.

I just assumed this meant you can't use this ability while you have critical damage.