Renaming Morality

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

There already is a thread arguing the merits and flaws of Morality. I'm not interested in participating in that exchange, but I think Morality could be better named. Morality has a specific conotation in gaming. Personally, I like the idea of renaming it to "Duality" I feel that name better captures the characters position with the force. It sounds far more mystical.

Morality is fine, it is the definition of a persons actions. Not what that persons Ethics are or what his moral choices are. Morality is just the definition of a persons actions.

Morality flew right over my head, I thought for sure they would call it Destiny.

I thought commitment. But Conflict is great, Morality is okay.

Though 'Destiny' was already used by other mechanics and i guess they didn't want to confuse the players.

Morality doesn't bother me all that much. The mechanic works, the name is just a name. Like Darth Fluffypants.

I think Morality fits perfectly.

Given how the system works, I'd say Morality is a perfect fit, with Conflict coming in as the character trying to stay on the light side of the fence while dealing with the many temptations both large and small that the dark side offers.

A high morality reflects that this is a person that can walk a higher path than most and live up to the ideals they espouse. A low morality reflects that this person is prone to "the quick and easy path" to solving issues. As Dumbledore indicated, it often comes down to doing what is right and what is easy.

Went into OT- territory. Started a new thread instead.

Edited by Poseur

I also thought "Destiny" would be what they would have called it.

In the end, I'm fine with naming it "Morality". When I gamed at Gen Con, one of the other players was complaining about Morality. The player didn't completely read with the mechanic did and left before the GM could demonstrate conflict. It got me wondering if the mechanic could use a different name.

Left? You pay money for a ticket, travel there, wait in line, and then leave??

Left? You pay money for a ticket, travel there, wait in line, and then leave??

Could have been the demo table, which was free to play at but was limited to 4 players and only ran for about 15 to 20 minutes. Besides, it's not like there weren't plenty of other things to do at GenCon.

Poor wording choice on my part. It was one of the 4 hour games. He left 20 minutes early. Before Conflict was resolved. More importantly, he left before we started asking questions and getting the design intent behind Morality and Conflict. That little part right there was well worth the price of admission for that game.

Edited by kaosoe

Poor wording choice on my part. It was one of the 4 hour games. He left 20 minutes early. Before Conflict was resolved. More importantly, he left before we started asking questions and getting the design intent behind Morality and Conflict. That little part right there was well worth the price of admission for that game.

Yeah, that guy was a dumbass. Especially given how quickly the FFG events filled up prior to GenCon as well as the fact there were waiting lists. This jackass probably prevented somebody that really wanted to play from doing so.

Granted, I had to up and bolt during a Sunday session of EotE, but that was due to a personal emergency that turned out to not be quite as bad as I'd been initially led to believe (getting a text that says a friend back home just went into the ER tends to kill the gaming mood real fast). But in my case, I had a very good reason that had nothing to do with the game itself. Then again, the module in question (if it was being run correctly, which I have my doubts as the GM admitted that he didn't know the system all that well) was pretty much a railroad by forcing the PCs into a combat encounter they had no chance in hell of winning (multiple Rivals rolling three Proficiency dice with weapons that required a skill check that nobody in the group was competent with). I had to bolt before the encounter was resolved, but I suspect it ended with the PCs all being knocked unconscious and captured.

I always leaned toward it being called "Balance" but I think Morality works just fine.