GM Screen Worth it?

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I asked at the booth, but is it just another adventure only? I really don't want to pick it up unless it includes something worthwhile like the DH1 screen with the toxin and beast creation parts.

I saw that it had a "Nemesis" creator? What's that about? Is it any good?

No real mechanics in the Nemesis creator that I noticed. The screen is very nice, though!

The screen is gorgeous, I own all 40k FFG rpg products, and I am really impressed with the artwork on this one. The player's view REALLY sets the inquisition type mood. Well done...

I was hoping for a bit more substance than that.

The screen itself is well done, both visually & its reference material. Something I particularly like is they have Core book page #s for just about all the topics it references, - very useful, indeed.

As already mentioned, the artwork is quite good.

There are two chapters to the accompanying full-sized booklet, an adventure & a piece entitled "Nemeses".

The adventure, Desolation of the Dead , runs about 25 pages. It's meaty with nice original interior artwork (at least I've never seen it before). I haven't run it - in fact, I haven't read it from cover-to-cover yet - but I will offer that it looks good & am looking forward to working it into the story arc.

"Nemeses" is a six page how-to, tips & tricks guide to using a Nemesis in your campaign. As already commented above, it's not mechanical in nature, but rather expository. It also offers a small handful of examples, with a couple of chunky paragraphs on each.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product. I have a long-running campaign that has participated in the entire beta & I will definitely be using everything in it.

Are there any usefull information on GM screen? Like perils of the warp, fear, critical hits? I mean the one, that you look up most often, not how much bolter does.

The screen alone is useful, It's got all the combat changes on it for easy reference and I always like having that scatter diagram nearby. It also saves on my workload, since many gun and weapon stats are on the screen.

The screen alone is useful, It's got all the combat changes on it for easy reference and I always like having that scatter diagram nearby. It also saves on my workload, since many gun and weapon stats are on the screen.

This is what convinced me to buy it.

The two things not on it that might have been nice are critical tables and psychic phenomena, but since those are multi-page tables I can see why they didn't have space....

Wait, they included weapon tables but not critical tables? That seems like an incredibly poor set of priorities.

It has always been like that though.

+points for consistency.

Yeah and it was always a weird, dumb move. I need critical tables a lot more often than I need weapon stats. Every NPC has their weapon stats listed in their profile. Every PC has their weapon stats on their character sheet. I don't need a quick reference for that.

The crit tables are too many - they would take too much space. Just print them out and lay them to your side.

True. But the thing I tend to need quickly are the first 5 results from each crit table (Righteous Fury results).

Eh. It's not the end of the world. But I agree it would have been more use than the weapon stats.

I think I also mentioned to FFG thy it would be nice if they'd include glossy print outs of the crit tables for players and GM to use. Nope. Same GM screen.

I would recommend that NO ONE buy this GM screen because FFG plainly ignored feedback from the beta on it.

I would recommend that NO ONE buy this GM screen because FFG plainly ignored feedback from the beta on it.

This is bad advice. I think the GM screen is great, so I bought it. Just because they didn't listen to some of the feedback doesn't mean the screen isn't good. Would you recommend not getting DH 2.0 at all since they ignored some of the feedback for that as well?

This is bad advice. I think the GM screen is great, so I bought it. Just because they didn't listen to some of the feedback doesn't mean the screen isn't good. Would you recommend not getting DH 2.0 at all since they ignored some of the feedback for that as well?

They listened to some of the feedback for the Beta. It's my understanding that the GM screen did not listen to the one consistent piece of feedback given it. So no, it's not worth supporting.

Keep in mind that they are also not obliged to follow the feedback given to them, whether you or I deem it good or bad.

Not supporting the line/products as long as they are usable, is not the solution - imho.

It's my understanding that the GM screen did not listen to the one consistent piece of feedback given it. So no, it's not worth supporting.

So what your saying is that if the GM screen is exactly what someone wants they shouldn't get it just because some feedback wasn't listened to? That would be stupid, and once again, bad advice. Instead you should figure out what someone wants out of the GM screen, if it has what they want/need recommend it, if it doesn't then don't.

Edited by Kaic

One other comment:

On the "Support" page there's a printable 'GM Sheet' - it's a quick reference sheet for a party, giving a GM a sheet he can hide behind the screed which records:

• Subtlety
  • The names of up to 6 characters, along with class, homeworld, special abilities of note and the three stats the GM may wish to test in secret (Influence, Perception, Willpower)
  • The Inquisitor's Influence

It's a good one-page asset and worth having one done for your party.

So if FFG ignores pretty much unanimous feedback given to them about something, the best way to change this is to just buy the product anyway? People should just use an old GM screen and print out the information they'll use to put over it.

Look I'm going to be frank, I don't use screens. I don't like them because they make me feel like the game master will be dishonest when rolling. I don't use the kit for anything more than the material in the source book with it. DH1 had a good one, none of them since have been as good in my opinion.

Given the feedback I've gotten through this thread it seems like they haven't added anymore into the book than what was around in DH1 books about making a nemesis and running him so thanks.

However let's not get on an unnecessary tangent about business practices here, I already managed to make one thread that got locked I don't want another notch in my belt so to speak. FFG isn't obligated in any way to take feedback, don't like it don't buy it. However those that don't mind or like the screen are free to suggest as they will.

So if FFG ignores pretty much unanimous feedback given to them about something, the best way to change this is to just buy the product anyway? People should just use an old GM screen and print out the information they'll use to put over it.

If the GM screen meets the needs of the person asking if they should get it, then yes you should recommend it. If it doesn't, then no you shouldn't recommend it. What I'm saying is that whether FFG ignored beta feedback or not, it has absolutely no bearing on if the GM screen meets the needs of a specific customer or not. I've had plenty of beta changes that I requested not make it into final products. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend that product if I felt that someone asking about it would like it. As far as the "best way to change it" I would recommend either not participating in future betas (this would be the most direct way to show how you feel about them not listening) or not buying the product yourself. Not recommending a product that you know someone will like just to try and further your goal is doing a disservice to whoever is asking for advice.

Look I'm going to be frank, I don't use screens. I don't like them because they make me feel like the game master will be dishonest when rolling.

If rolling is what you'r worried about, why not have the GM roll in front of the screen. I have found a GM screen almost necessary for hiding stats for enemies and important plot points. Though I've also found that hiding certain rolls can be important for driving tension and keeping out of character knowledge from affecting character actions. Example: if they know they rolled poorly on an awareness roll they might be more cautious moving around than normal when their character wouldn't be.

I'm not worried about it, but I don't really care about the content of the screen, I care about the content of the book with the screen, which is what I was pointing out.