Reining in an Arbites

By OneTallGamer, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

hmm..
so....
your Group had a Grand scheme for getting...*recounts* 30 thrones ?
And killed 3 Enforcers over that?

*applauds to the players that worked themselves into that Kind of s**t.

First things first: Ask the Player of the Arbitrator if he would be fine with generating another character since
it would be "very much in-game" that his Inquisitor would stop putting him to use. Basically, he killed three man over a workers monthly wage. And without any advance to the Mission they were tasked with, right?

...and while you do this, think about how your NPC INquisitor is actually FUNDING his cell! If there is REASON for them to act like that, something is wrong. My two Cents, mate ;)

If the Player does not like making another character I would like to remind you that Scintilla is having a legal System based on DUELS as an option to solve a case. This might serve your play very well, but think twice about it. You donĀ“t want to give your Player the idea that he can get away with such things if he is a able to fight his way out of it in court.
And again..that is for the "local civil law". Acting against Magistratum might be a different Thing alltogether, breaking the code of conduct as an Arbitrator SHOULD be something different altogether.

But I would still stick to what I posted before...of course ;)

Duelbased system looks "fair", right up until you find out the court's choice is an Ogryn Bone'ead with an eviscerator. :D

If they have anyone on the outside, not in a cell, a bit of creative bribery can change that and seriously weight any duel either in the chara's favour or practically spell out a death sentence, but, as it is, it seems to be judgement or jailbreak?

Edited by DeathByGrotz

Duelbased system looks "fair", right up until you find out the court's choice is an Ogryn Bone'ead with an eviscerator. :D

If they have anyone on the outside, not in a cell, a bit of creative bribery can change that and seriously weight any duel either in the chara's favour or practically spell out a death sentence, but, as it is, it seems to be judgement or jailbreak?

Haha, I like that idea.

Some more context: They are still "at large" after killing the guards. I gave them an in-game day of unharassed time where they could still get along in public while the guards conducted their investigation (going over pict-feeds, questioning locals, and so on). In the next session however, they will be 'wanted' men. Also, as of the current time they have not identified themselves as working with the Inquisition at any point they have been on Scintilla. They have only used that particular Ace-in-the-hole once in the entire campaign and that was to hitch a ride aboard a Black Ship headed to Scintilla.

The group's Adept was given a Rosette to use in emergencies. However, doing so will draw some very unwanted attention. On top of that, the Adept hasn't seemed too keen on bailing out the Arbiter in his schemes so far so who's telling what is going to happen.

Our next session is scheduled for Wednesday.

Haha, I like that idea.

Some more context: They are still "at large" after killing the guards. I gave them an in-game day of unharassed time where they could still get along in public while the guards conducted their investigation (going over pict-feeds, questioning locals, and so on). In the next session however, they will be 'wanted' men. Also, as of the current time they have not identified themselves as working with the Inquisition at any point they have been on Scintilla. They have only used that particular Ace-in-the-hole once in the entire campaign and that was to hitch a ride aboard a Black Ship headed to Scintilla.

The group's Adept was given a Rosette to use in emergencies. However, doing so will draw some very unwanted attention. On top of that, the Adept hasn't seemed too keen on bailing out the Arbiter in his schemes so far so who's telling what is going to happen.

Our next session is scheduled for Wednesday.

Have the Arbites been informed? Because from their perspective, it likely looks like either an Arbitrator gone rogue (bad) or someone impersonating an Arbitrator (also bad). Their Response will be swift and merciless, and employ a great many heavily armed and armored Arbitrators with heavy weapon and armored vehicle support, along with trackers and tracking servitors (look at BoJ) - they have cyberhounds that can track incredible distances, plus, of course, aerial surveillance and airborne movement and close air support should it become necessary. They will not be particularly concerned with collateral damage, and will have a 'dead or alive' order out on the Arbiter PC and his accomplices (ie, anyone near him/who has much contact with him/them).

Oh ... and if the Arbiter PC attempts to resist, they will splatter his ass across the street without hesitation, and then retrieve the body(parts) for a show trial and execution. It will not be a fight that can be won, no matter how many enforcers or Arbitrators they kill, and the more they kill the more brutal the Arbites response will become. If the smart thing is done, ie, surrendering immediately to the Arbites when (not if) they are located, the interrogation will begin after being returned to the primary precinct fortress. It will be painful and lengthy. They will not allow those they have captured to retain weapons, armor, or other gear - the prisoners will be fortune to be allowed to wear their own clothing after an extensive and intrusive full-body scan and search (extremely extensive and extremely intrusive).

There may be a jurisdictional fight if/when the Ecclesiarchy finds out that the initial offense was the selling of false religious relics. But whoever wins that fight, the offending PCs loose, because not only will both sides kill them (or worse) but the jurisdictional fight may well draw in the Inquisition as a mediator.

Short version, the Arbites player really needs to start working on a new character.

I suppose an angle that hasn't been considered is 'police brutality'. I know such a thing is complained about as often as the holy Emperor does some breakdancing, but if the Arbitrator can convince (using his knowledge of Imperial Law), convince the court that the Enforcers in question did in fact assault him, when he was peacefully surrending, confident that no court would arrest him for such a big 'misunderstanding'. After all, we're the Inquisition. I could have you sniped right now if I wanted to.

And, at the mention of Inquisition (really the only option, apart from a sneaky duel) the court will either laugh this case off, thinking he's lying about all of the above or will do something along the lines of this: Okay, so my computer won't let me do links today but picture traditional screaming civilians.

Edited by Drath

I suppose an angle that hasn't been considered is 'police brutality'. I know such a thing is complained about as often as the holy Emperor does some breakdancing, but if the Arbitrator can convince (using his knowledge of Imperial Law), convince the court that the Enforcers in question did in fact assault him, when he was peacefully surrending, confident that no court would arrest him for such a big 'misunderstanding'. After all, we're the Inquisition. I could have you sniped right now if I wanted to.

And, at the mention of Inquisition (really the only option, apart from a sneaky duel) the court will either laugh this case off, thinking he's lying about all of the above or will do something along the lines of this: Okay, so my computer won't let me do links today but picture traditional screaming civilians.

Ah, but first he needs to be brought to the Court ... which means he either needs to surrender himself into custody (which seems unlikely) or be captured alive.

Also, he - and his accomplice - are guilty of the crime for which the arrest was being made. Police Brutality? What brutality - we have us a heretic/recidivist here. Who isn't anyone important/connected (so far as the enforcers/Arbites know apparently). Criminals and traitors don't have rights. Or rather, they only have what rights the enforcers/Arbites choose to allow them (usually none).