Evading

By TangKK, in Relic

Hello All. New to the forum and will no doubt have lots of possible obscure questions regarding the game.

Something cropped up in a game I had the other night that caused some issues.

My friend was playing as the Callidus Assassin and landed on a space that ended up drawing a weak enemy threat card that summons other threats to help it when engaged. My friend decided that his characters rule allowed him to evade any enemy so engaged the original threat. Another friend brought up an interesting question about the timing of the evade saying that because he (the assassin) had committed to the fight, that he could not evade the additional threats that would join that fight.

I suspect that for most people it is open to interpretation but I would assume that once committing to a fight (choosing not to evade) you cannot evade opponents that automatically join the fight because of the conditions of the fight.

If a Game Dev could clarify what would happen in this situation that would be very helpful as my friend (the Assassin player) is that pedantic :)

Thanks for your time.

Firstly, what's the enemy that calls for more cards to be drawn when you fight it? Most (all?) extra draw cards happen during the Exploration Phase (usually through extra Threat icons), well before the battle is joined. Can't recall offhand any such enemy you describe (engage -> draw more cards), though slight inkling that there might be some that don't adhere to the draw cards in Exploration Phase.

"When evading multiple enemies that share an

attribute, the evading player chooses to evade each enemy
individually. The evading player is not required to evade
all enemies in his space, and any enemies not evaded
must participate in battles as normal." (p. 14)

Cheers for the reply

Chaos Pirate - Red Threat Deck

At the start of this battle each enemy in your tier with a Strength attribute immediately moves to your space and joins this battle

Evading

Some Special abilities allow players to evade enemies. Players trigger such abilities during the Engagement phase before the start of a battle with the enemy.

So am I correct in assuming that if he chooses to engage the Pirate (or Cunning or Willpower equivalent) that he loses his chance to evade additional enemies that are brought to the fight?

Yeah, Willpower and Cunning have a similar enemy in the decks as well now that I think about it. I'd say yes, you either evade the initial Enemy or fight them all. Mostly though, not sure I've seen people bother evading, especially Callidus, if she has a Power card 6 or two in hand (her combat dice explode into 2 additional dice), I'll take my chances with the fight for mega-trophies. And even if not Callidus, fight them like a man, evading is for the weak, Blood for the Blood God! Oh, wait... :lol:

Yeah thought that was the case.

Cheers for the timely reply

Just to add a hypothetical extension to this question, what if the Pirate was drawn alongside another Strength based threat card on a multi-threat space. The Assassin chooses to evade the other strength based threat card and engage the pirate. Would the evaded card then join the battle?