GenCon

By Jedhead, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So over on BGG a few people are getting nervous that the In-Flight Report released by FFG did not include any Diskwars content. I was wondering if this was concerning to anyone else. It did worry me a little bit, but I am not thinking it spells certain doom for the game. We just received some new releases quite recently, so I didn't necessarily expect any big reveals, although I was hoping!

The concern, though, is that this is a young game that should theoretically be getting some attention at a venue such as GenCon, and it didn't receive any mention. Does this mean the game isn't performing well or doesn't have a very high priority right now with FFG developers? As I said, I am not panicked, but others seemed slightly worried.

Just curious what other people are thinking.

Edited by Jedhead

I haven't been to the event, but if you watch the 4 videos FFG posted, you will notice that there were a few Diskwars banners hanging here and there, as well as a number of tables set up where you could play the game. It seems that although there was no news announced (likely, as you said, because of how recent the 2 new expansions are), the game was represented relatively well at Gen Con.

Also, it's interesting to note that games for which FFG held tournaments (X-wing, the LCGs, etc.) got plenty of exposure and coverage. I think we will see more excitement for the game once there's been at least one official Diskwars tournament (isn't there one scheduled for the fall or winter?). I think once people see the game played at a high level, they will realize just how good it really is.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the game likely has good profit margins (since virtually all the artwork is recycled from the LCG and the components are not expensive to design or manufacture) and that it does not cannibalize any of the other FFG product lines (for instance, running 10 different LCGs may make people pick up one or two since they're all similar; Diskwars is a unique product that doesn't overlap much--in terms of gameplay and mechanics--with many other FFG titles). Sales may not be stellar, but from a business standpoint, I think the game is likely a winner.

All in all, I think the future of Diskwars is looking pretty good. At the very least I expect that we will see the lizardmen, dark elves, wood elves, and skaven fleshed out more before the game is discontinued.

Edited by kazik

I hope you are right, and I think the game is most likely in a decent position. Like I said, I am not personally panicked, but it seemed that many were worried. I was also hoping as you mentioned that organized play and some exposure in a tournament setting might spark some interest. I also got the impression from the earliest days of the game that this was a project near and dear to FFG's collective heart, so hopefully they will continue to push it forward for that reason as well.

It seems to be that it would be too early to see more Diskwars Expansions yet anyway, I'd think they'd be in really early alpha at this point. I would guess that they planned it out too so that it wouldn't overlap with their big Star Wars announcements, I mean, after all, those are definitely properties that are almost certain to be higher grossing that Diskwars would be, just because of their theme.

That being said, as it stands now, we've got a great game, and even if we only got one more cycle of expansions to finish out the existing races, we'd have a fantastic game. I've just been happy to play Diskwars again (I was a big fan of the original too), and I'll definitely keep playing it long after they stop creating expansions (whenever that happens).

I agree completely that my playing of the game will long outlast the release of expansions either way. Good to hear that others are feeling positive about it!

I just got into this game, I sure hope it isn't already on the decline! I don't think so though, for reasons others here have already mentioned.

I don't expect we will see much (or any) content for Ogre Kingdoms or Tomb Kings based on the fact that the Warhammer: Invasion card game hasn't touched those races, but I'd think at a minimum we will get fleshed out armies for the ten races already represented. Hopefully, they will also give us a little bit for Bretonnia and Beastmen, maybe more as support than fully developed armies.

I'm all in on every release, so hopefully there are at least four more major ones coming to finish off Skaven, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Wood Elves.

Great game!

Too much Doom and Gloom.

I'd say that they will at least round out the factions that exist, as others have mentioned. But, I would think that this is a fairly in-expensive game to produce. I think as long as there is a strong core of players, we'll continue to see expansions for the game. They may slow down, but I don't think they'll stop. Besides, this game has a fairly high BGG rating. My hope is that it's only a matter of time before more people check it out.

The game may be a sleeper to some extent, but I think if more people try it, it will definitely wake up. This is my favorite game currently. I think the design is strong, and the biggest thing that holds it back is the perception of the playing pieces. I hope that eventually it will overcome that perception.

I'm actually a big fan of expansions coming slowly rather than the LCG model. I'd rather them treat this like a board game and let it grow slow and steady. If we only got one set of expansions per year, I think that would be reasonable and allow the player base to grow. I know then we don't get the OH NEW AND SHINY feeling regularly, but that also means this game isn't intended to compete with some of FFGs other extremely popular IPOs like X-Wing or Android Netrunner, which again, bodes well for WH Diskwars' longevity

Edited by dkartzinel

Based on what I saw during the downtime between rounds of the Saturday X-Wing finals at Gen Con, I decided to order a couple core sets and an expansion. It looks like it'll be a great game to pick up. There are a few players locally, but I still think I'll be able to get some games in.

One expansion every six months would be perfect.

I introduced a friend of mine to the game today over lunch and he was so excited about it he said he was going to pick it up tonight after work! He is another former WHF player who just doesn't have the time or money to keep up with the miniatures game but still loves the IP.

Spread the word about this great game!

Edited by Frobozz

I think the design is strong, and the biggest thing that holds it back is the perception of the playing pieces. I hope that eventually it will overcome that perception.

It does seem that this is a major obstacle for many, which is interesting to me. I love the feeling of flipping the disks onto enemies; a good impact from a cavalry unit, for example, is made so much more visceral and concrete when you flip the disk onto an opponent. Azhag moving to pin multiple units, or a dragon swooping in...will it make it or not? The Reavers charging unbelievable distances, flip after flip, seemingly never to stop...

All of these "flavor" moments in the game enhance the play greatly for me, and they all stem directly from the flipping mechanic. I think a great deal of the feel and excitement of the game would be greatly diminished if not totally mitigated by a simple measurement. I love Diskwars!

I think the design is strong, and the biggest thing that holds it back is the perception of the playing pieces. I hope that eventually it will overcome that perception.

It does seem that this is a major obstacle for many, which is interesting to me. I love the feeling of flipping the disks onto enemies; a good impact from a cavalry unit, for example, is made so much more visceral and concrete when you flip the disk onto an opponent. Azhag moving to pin multiple units, or a dragon swooping in...will it make it or not? The Reavers charging unbelievable distances, flip after flip, seemingly never to stop...

All of these "flavor" moments in the game enhance the play greatly for me, and they all stem directly from the flipping mechanic. I think a great deal of the feel and excitement of the game would be greatly diminished if not totally mitigated by a simple measurement. I love Diskwars!

I agree with you that the disk-flipping mechanic really enhances the experience (and works beautifully as a way to move your units around). However, I can understand how people who have never *tried* the game would dismiss the disk flipping as a weird gimmick... I was one of these people.

It is a great little game, deceptively easy.

I historically have played a lot of Table Top Mini games, but have been steering more and more towards games I don't have to paint or maintain to play. Disk Wars for me, plays like a minis game, without all the hobby-ness. I love it. It is deceptively deep despite the easy on the eyes exterior.

As people get exposure to it, it will continue to grow.

Can't agree more! I'm a new dad, and my time for miniatures painting with a baby and a full time job is basically non-existent. I'm sure I will paint again one day, but right now quick to set up and fun to play (while still being deep) is definitely what is necessary. Diskwars fits that bill pretty much perfectly.

I'm in the same spot as DKartzinel. But, I have to add that this game is awesome in it's own right. Not just as a replacement for mini's games. I really like that I can get in 2-3 games of this in the same time I could have played a small game of Warhammer. Not to mention that it is balanced so much better than it's mini's companion. If GW started balancing it's games as well as Diskwars, there'd be no stopping it.