First Supplement Wanted?

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

It's early obviously, but the core and GM screen are out so we might as well talk supplements.

The first one i want period, before the silly 3 adventure in one book, is a Sector Guide. I don't want to have to look through every book for general info on one planet in the sector. I'd like a decent map too.

After that, more worlds, backgrounds, and roles.

Thoughts and personal opinions?

Puritans Handbook & Radicals Handbook (vol. II) and I want them both big, not that silly 120-something nonsence they are putting out recentl, and maybe then Inquisitors (ascension, higher level campaign) handbook.

For Gamemasters, there should be a Sector Guide and Badass Backround and Conspiracies Guide, and after that some obligatory monster book. Shame they didnt repeated that model as it was succesful for Deathwatch (Jericho Reach + Achillus Assault). Otherwise, there should be Hereticus, Xenos and Maellus guides in vein of BC gods supplements.

Edited by TorogTarkdacil812

Definitely an Inquisitor book for higher level campaigns. A new version of BoM (maybe as a Puritan's HB).

~ alemander

Hmmmmmmm.....ok

1.Sector guide

2.players handbook with additional careers and backgrounds.

3.also agree with wanting a ascension level book/how to incorperate that into a campaign(kinda like tome of decay for dealing with black crusades)

4.would love a new alien/witch/heretic book.Definetly a new aliens species or three.

5.A book(just one please) going over every type of ordo of the inquisition(major/minor).Im ok with large brush strokes vs fine painting if they could get this in a single volume.

6.Did I mention a Sector Guide?

7.A updated/revised/continuation of Disciples of the Dark Gods.

Edited by miles1739

Sector Guide

Faction books - AdMech, Administratum, Ministorum, etc.

Chromebook (weapons, gear, vehicles, etc.)

A book that details more practical uses for the Subtlety and Disposition (court/ gala settings) sub-systems, as well as alternate Reinforcement Character rules, allowing them to be used for a lengthier amount of time.

A book focusing on inter-Inquisition politicking and expanded Influence use.

Investigation and Social talents.

A Socialite Role.

As long as we're wishlisting, right?

A Monster Manual . With lots of new critters, not just updatings of previously stat'd stuff...

Definitely a bestiary. A really thorough one. A sector manual. Disciples of the dark gods for sure, radical and puritan resource books. One thing I would mention though, is not just what additional books do we want, but how do we want the power level? DH1 had some major creep in it, which might be because after they put out Ascension, they wanted to be able to have supplements support both? Do we want one power level all the way across, then one major book, like maybe a second core book to detail higher level games? A two tier power system, regular and Ascended?

I think the power creep was much more due to the other systems being introduced over anything else.

I think the power creep was much more due to the other systems being introduced over anything else.

I disagree with you there. I think the Power Creep in the later DH supplements was due to all of the 'low hanging fruit' relating to the subject of the supplement already being plucked in earlier books. So, what does that leave to adapt? 'Existing-Thing-times-X'- i.e. more powerful versions of existing stuff. Never mind that the new Super-Whatsit appears exactly nowhere in 40K lore...

Book of Judgement is a prime example. According to established 40K lore, Arbites wear Carapace armour, wield Best-Quality Combat Shotguns loaded with Executioner Rounds, and carry manacles, gas masks, choke grenades, etc. All stuff that was included in books predating BoJ . So, if you are the freelance writer contracted to write the Armoury section of BoJ , what do you do? Special carapace armour- that is better ! Special Combat Shotgun- that is better ! 'Lore' be damned- we have pages to fill!

DH1 already had a mechanic to bring it 'more in line' with the power level of the other games- just start at a higher XP total. There's no justifying some of the ill-conceived, flat-out broken crap from the later DH1 supplements. 'Crimson Guard'? Give me a break! A Rank 1 Career that exists only in The Lathe Worlds and no where else in 40K lore, yet it renders the iconic 40K Career of the Imperial Guardsman statistically obsolete . Rabid Power Creep, period .

A fair point to be sure as well. Currently I'm running Haarlock's trilogy I didn't allow anything past Radical's Handbook. I want to run Apostacy as an Ascension level campaign allowing access to all books for creation, save Lathe Worlds. That was just irresponsible to make.

1. Inquisitors handbook with a little bit of everything (new talents, homeworld, backgrounds, roles, elite advances, weapons, investigative psy powers & equipment)

2. One book for each of the main ordos, including a section of enemies of said ordo and puritan/radical fractions inside the ordo

3. A sector guide including typical enemies of the sector

4. A huge campaign as the haarlock legacy was

I still would love to see a small pdf-only series that treats one planet each, made for an affordable price. I'd love to collect these planet files ;)

Edited by GauntZero

1. Inquisitors handbook with a little bit of everything (new talents, homeworld, backgrounds, roles, elite advances, weapons, investigative psy powers & equipment)

This is what I would be most likely to buy.

Whatever book comes next, I want it to have psychic powers that actually apply well to investigative campaigns.

Also, I think it'd be cool if they went a similar route to Black Crusade's Tomes, and split the books up based on Ordo. Three books, one for each Ordo. Put relevant enemies, NPCs, plot hooks, equipment, etc into the appropriate Ordo's book. Would give each Ordo an opportunity to shine, instead of the books focusing primarily on Hereticus threads like a lot of DH1e content did.

Also, I really want some extensive Genestealer cult rules in the Xenos book.

Edited by Tom Cruise

I don't know if it's still the case; but as of a few years ago, Genestealer Cults were on the list of things which GW was officially not writing about anymore.

Whatever book comes next, I want it to have psychic powers that actually apply well to investigative campaigns.

Also, I think it'd be cool if they went a similar route to Black Crusade's Tomes, and split the books up based on Ordo. Three books, one for each Ordo. Put relevant enemies, NPCs, plot hooks, equipment, etc into the appropriate Ordo's book. Would give each Ordo an opportunity to shine, instead of the books focusing primarily on Hereticus threads like a lot of DH1e content did.

One book for each Ordo would be really nice, because I know a lot of people wanted that for Dark Heresy 1, but we never got a book on the Ordo Xenos.

That being said, using Black Crusade as an example is bad. Black Crusade really dropped the ball on this, pushing out a single Adventure, followed by 4 Supplements. By the Nurgle Supplement, it's obvious that they've already run out of steam and started including stuff that really should've been in a "general" supplement, a "Tome of Chaos Undivided", if you will.

But I'm harping on different issues and getting away from the subject.

I would really, really, really like four Supplements for Dark Heresy 2, and I say that not even really liking the approaches in Dark Heresy 2. One for Ordo Hereticus, one for Ordo Malleus, one for Ordo Xenos and one for Ordos Minoris (disregarding some of the very strange Ordos GW came up with recently, such as specific Ordos overseeing practically every office of the Imperium, including the Space Marines (who likely does not recognize the Inquisition's authority over them) and the Mechanicus (who also does not recognize the Inquisition's authority, the Mechanicus formally being an allied Empire integrated into the Imperium).

Ordo Sicarius, Ordo Excorcium and - especially - Ordo Chronos, though... pretty please?

I just hope that they mix it up a bit. Dark Heresy 1 got two supposedly excellent trilogies. Getting bogged down in Supplements that in actuality offers very little is a bad idea.

I don't know if it's still the case; but as of a few years ago, Genestealer Cults were on the list of things which GW was officially not writing about anymore.

Either way, it seems that FFG has some leeway to that, because Genestealers have been featured in FFG publications, both in DH1 and DW. If GW instituted a "true" ban on genestealers, like with, say, Squats, they wouldn't even be mentioned.

So I'd like to add a +1 to rules for, and an exposé of, genestealer cults.

Edited by Fgdsfg

That's a real shame if it's the case, they have a lot of potential for Dark Heresy games. Oh well. I'm already going to be houseruling half of this system, making NPC stats shouldn't be too hard.

That's a real shame if it's the case, they have a lot of potential for Dark Heresy games. Oh well. I'm already going to be houseruling half of this system, making NPC stats shouldn't be too hard.

There is a well-done fan version of Genestealer Cults in DH here .

Source?

Either way, it seems that FFG has some leeway to that, because Genestealers have been featured in FFG publications, both in DH1 and DW. If GW instituted a "true" ban on genestealers, like with, say, Squats, they wouldn't even be mentioned.

I was friends with someone who worked on Deathwatch and they mentioned that they were told not to make any kind of mention of Genestealer Cults whatsoever. Though from what you’re saying, either they changed their minds or someone didn’t listen.

I assume a ban on Genestealer Cults wouldn't carry over to the Genestealers themselves. So the rumour of the ban may be accurate.

Source?

I was friends with someone who worked on Deathwatch and they mentioned that they were told not to make any kind of mention of Genestealer Cults whatsoever. Though from what you’re saying, either they changed their minds or someone didn’t listen.

Huh. Odd that they'd institute a ban on Genestealer Cults but not Genestealers. But I guess it's odd that they'd institute a ban on the concept at all. But GW does a lot of really **** odd things, so I shouldn't be surprised. Sometimes I get the feeling that they actively promote making Warhammer 40k as incoherent of a mess as they possibly can, instead of rolling with old fluff as it is and then work with it or present alternate interpretations if they feel it doesn't fit.

Akin to the first edition inq handbook. Alternate homeworld, background and profession choices for chargen. With a mix of different threats and enemies native to the new sector to liven things up. Basically somewhere between creatures anathema and inq handbook. With different gear and vehicles that can be requisitioned to would be nice.

a ban on gene stealer cults seems a bit odd considering some reasonably recent BL novels have mentioned them.

I'd definatly like to see some expanded char creation options. the choice of an "Imperial world" for your homeworld stands out as one of the more obvious things missing

Radical book full of chaos stuff. (WANT!!!)

More character options (homeworld, profesions, talents, etc)

Maybe with the option of importing a guardsman from only war as an acolyte.

Playable assassins (advanced?)

Monster manual.

A background book detailing Hive whatsitsname in great detail. (spire: characterswith full stats and background, history, rumors, locations, local items, local npc forces, maps, etc. Now do the same for noble houses private domains,the hive proper, underhive and hive bottom and any spaceports if the hive has any)

I don't have the book yet so if i mention anything that's in the main rulebook ignore it. (and let me know)

Well, there are lots of supplements that I would want but what I think the game would benefit most from is:

Expanded rules and stuff - like Inquisitor's Handbook and Rites of Battle

Setting Expansion with more info on the setting - like Jericho Reach/Achilles Assault

Antagonist book - with more stuff to kill and investigate