Play Haarlocks Legacy in 2 - 1 - 3 order?

By evilof, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hi guys, I think I'm new here :P

Just as 2nd edition is comming out I will start my very first DH campaign... in the 1st ed!

Basicly I'm gonna take 4 players (1 who knows his 40K, and 3 who do not) trough House of Dust and Ash into the Haarlocks Legacy triologi.

But since they are new I think that the survivalhorror, and the whole loss-of-control-factor, of the 1st book will be a more memorable moment if they don't play it as early plus that the world in book two feels more like a classic 40K place, so I can better get the 40K newbies to get a feeling for the entire 40K-setting.

It will also give me time to make them somewhat acquainted to the dying inquisitor AND I always felt that the 2nd book is less of climax, so the coming of the black star will make more of an impact if it comes at the end of adventure number 2 instead of number 1 so to speak

This all being said... are there any pitfalls, plotvise or otherwise, I should look out for?

It FEELS pretty straightforward, but I have only read the books like 1½ times each.

I'm currently doing something similar. I started with Damned Cities, going into HoDaA, then Tattered Fates, and finally Dead Stars.

I did Damned Cities first because there isn't as much Haarlock hook in there, they don't even have to learn the name of the Folly unless they talk to the lady at the capitol. However that doesn't mean you can't do it the way you are as well. However I've seen no pitfalls so far.

They do not have to be played in any specific order, except that the last one has to played last, obviously :)

We ran them in the following order: House of Dust and Ash, Damned Cities, Tattered Fates and then Dead Stars. It worked out quite well, and I fleshed out parts of these with own material as well as scenes by this very forums own Gregorius21778 .

Sounds good.

I'm a bit unsure wheter to start with Damned Cities or House of Dust and Ash.

HoDA looses a bit of mystery if they know about Haarlock going in, but I think it's not that big of a deal.
I thiiiink it feels better to go from Damned Cities to HoDA, since the connection, and the reasons to go there will be stronger.

Also, I will probably let the players know that reason, and not use the subterfuge that Marr has planned.

Marr brings me to a couple of questions

1) Is there a place to read more about Marr?

2) Is there a place to read more about the dying inquisitor Karkalla?

Two more questions (thats not on the exact topic, but still)

3) Damned Cities. Why is there no threat of the Tyrant Star? It feels just ripe for it, what with the citiy going closer and closer to murderous rioting and sort of civil war.

4) The players are recommended to be about level 4 so that's what I'll do. Give them 2000 exp to start with (altough it's not ideal since they are new players and might get a little swamped with choices and powers). But... what sort of startinggear should they have? I don't know if I should just give them weapons and armour I deem fit, and let them choose a few pieces of gear, or if I should let them have .... 1500 thrones? Is that too much?
I'm also thinking that Scarce items will be the limit, unless the item fits well into their character.

1) Is there a place to read more about Marr?

Not anything specific, throughout all the books there's a line here and there. He's an old powerful inquisitor who does as he pleases. I am playing him as web of subterfuge focused as a Haarlock supposedly used to be. I am also running him as the inquisitor that instigated the assassination of Haarlock's wife and child under the order of the Tenebrae Collegium (something they'll see in Dead Stars of a vision of the past)

2) Is there a place to read more about the dying inquisitor Karkalla?

Not that I've seen at all, but if the acolytes are already serving an inquisitor I'd say have them meet a throne agent that they've met through the adventures. In HoDaA they meet a few that they may latch on to.

3) Damned Cities. Why is there no threat of the Tyrant Star? It feels just ripe for it, what with the citiy going closer and closer to murderous rioting and sort of civil war.

Because there's a Tyrant Star enounter in Tattered Fates and it's the main focus of Dead Stars essentially, there needed to be a middle adventure for a break if you started out with it or since you're playing in the beginning it will be a building up of tension and terror as the Tyrant Star is becoming more active in the sector.

4) The players are recommended to be about level 4 so that's what I'll do. Give them 2000 exp to start with (altough it's not ideal since they are new players and might get a little swamped with choices and powers). But... what sort of startinggear should they have? I don't know if I should just give them weapons and armour I deem fit, and let them choose a few pieces of gear, or if I should let them have .... 1500 thrones? Is that too much?
I'm also thinking that Scarce items will be the limit, unless the item fits well into their character.

That's what I did for experience it's working out ok so far, and gear? I limited their selections based on choice. Limited armor to flak or mesh, no full guardsmen armor unless they are guardsmen. Guns were more relative and looked at on an individual base. I'd say let them have one main weapon, a sidearm, and if they want a melee weapon. Dual Weilders obviously have two of the same weapons so that works out.

Alright. Thanks for the answers on 1 and 2.

3) I'm thinking that Damned Cities with a potential visit from the Star, followed by HoDA ofc without the Star, and then Tattered Fates with the star again.. and ofc ending with Dead Stars , will prove to be a nice variation of climaxes.

I will just have to think a bit about if I can do the meeting with Haarlock a bit more interesting then the book. It IS a bit of an anticlimax. I think I saw a thread about it a few weeks ago but couldn't find it now.

4) I guess 1 appropriate armour, 1 main weapon for everyone, and the combat people will get maybe a sidearm and a melee weapon wheras the adept probably wont get one ... nor want one.

And then do a similar version on a few pieces of gear. All suitable for the character, and the noble adept will get more / better stuff.
I just don't want to give away TOO much sweet gear. I don't want them overpowered, and DO want them to still have things on their wishlist =)

3) I'm thinking that Damned Cities with a potential visit from the Star, followed by HoDA ofc without the Star, and then Tattered Fates with the star again.. and ofc ending with Dead Stars , will prove to be a nice variation of climaxes.

I will just have to think a bit about if I can do the meeting with Haarlock a bit more interesting then the book. It IS a bit of an anticlimax.

I think it's alright, if they let Haarlock return he isn't the Haarlock that once was. Conflicting reports as there are he's at least some monstrously powerful daemon at least on the class of the Dusk Hag. He doesn't have to deal with acolytes, he slows time and leaves. I like it in it's simplicity, it removes the idea that they could deal with Haarlock personally.

Failure (or success depending on what they were going for) in silence.

Tattered Fates is the logical one to run first since it provides a rational for all the characters to be together in the first place. They don't even have to be acolytes when they are kidnapped. In fact that's how I ran it and it worked very well.

I believe that it was deliberately constructed this way in fact.

Hi there evilof,

I have once written a number of scenes & ideas for running that Triologie and the "attached" "House of Dust & Ash". The following links contain my PDF for downloads. Perhaps you will find them helpful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x6shaism66021c/TF_Tipps_01.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/suq9y8brhqnbtj6/TF_Tipps_02.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy8yr74th64pd8l/TF_tipps_03.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fclidc3lbsjc6oe/TF_tipps_04.pdf?dl=0

I once has written a alternate ending for the final part (I NEVER liked the given ending on Dusk with the Dusk Hag at all) but will need some time for searching. I will post that one later

bogi_khaosa : I just used my groups inquisitor. "You are herby ordererd, in the name of his holy majesty, to go to Siphonia"
And that was enough =)

Great Gregorious! I will check them out as soon as I can. A bit late in the evening now, but i Got about 40 hours before the next session, so I will probably find some nice inspiration there!

IMO, Tattered Fates works very well as an introductory adventure for several reasons (in fact, I believe that it was designed that way -- as an introduction to the Haarlack campaign and a starting scenario for a group).

1. It avoids explaining how the characters joined the Inquisition. The adventure itself explains how they joined the Inquisition.

2. It avoids explaining the incredible statistical fluke in the Haarlock scion just happening to be a member of an inquisitorial cell. Because he wasn't an Acolyte when he was kidnapped, but just some schlub.

3. It avoids explaining how a group of trained Acolytes got kidnapped just like that off camera (and why the hell the Beast House would go along with this suicidal plan).

4. The adventure really is not combat heavy unless the players make it so. Anything that will slaughter a Rank 1-2 group of characters can be run from (mainly the daemons) or taken on without fighting (the Widower). In fact I'm pretty sure you could get through 90% of the thing with no combat.

5. The adventure is long enough that you can dole out XP during it, so that by the final scene the characters will all be near the end of Rank 2 or start of Rank 3.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

bogi: You have several valid points. I do however have some thoughts as to wheter it is a good place to start when the players are all new to DH.

One the one hand there are all your valid points. On the otherhand they will not feel the lack of arms and armour to the same extent.

I am aware of the slim chance of a Haarlock being in the party randomly. My take is that the inquisitor is one step ahead and knows that one PCs parents is not his biological partens.

I also, through one players own choices, have a connection to the Beast House (the backgroundpackage from the Inq handbook), and I will set up a well thought of trap for the party were they can only surrender (or get a room full of knockout gas). Worst comes to worst I will just tell the story in "cut scene" format where they can't interact. Not ideal, but I think my players will enjoy it as long as it sounds cool/scary enough.

As for battle... we shall see how the players fare. Since it's the first time we play we don't realy have a grasp for the powerlevels of PCs. mobs and gear. Haha, but I DO hope they invest in better dice. Fails and critical fails is realy common.
"No sweat you guys. I'll take the shot. I got... 75% chans to hit" *miss* *miss* *miss*

Greg: Sweet. I will check it out tomorrow when I'm less tired. I can say that WILL be borrowing your guy Massive tough.

Hey Evilof,

really think twice before you let the players fight a futile battle. Players (being used to either fight or successfully flee their way out of battle) have the tendency not to get it that this is "meant to fail"... especially if they are allowed to role dice/take action/ make decisions. You might end up with players burning fate points to no avail.

My idea (I haven´t used it yet) was to "pick them up" after House of Dust&Ash with their ship (whatever it is) that takes them off the island being attacked by pirates again . But this time, a heady mix of beast house professionals in a cut scene.

@"Massive"
Glad that you like him. In fact, he was made to be likeable & thereby encourage the characters to at least consider working with the Undertow. For some reason, the modul does not see that players/characters could balk at the idea to work with criminals to the point of prefering to work with the Mandato instead.

Hey Evilof,

really think twice before you let the players fight a futile battle. Players (being used to either fight or successfully flee their way out of battle) have the tendency not to get it that this is "meant to fail"... especially if they are allowed to role dice/take action/ make decisions. You might end up with players burning fate points to no avail.

My idea (I haven´t used it yet) was to "pick them up" after House of Dust&Ash with their ship (whatever it is) that takes them off the island being attacked by pirates again . But this time, a heady mix of beast house professionals in a cut scene.

@"Massive"

Glad that you like him. In fact, he was made to be likeable & thereby encourage the characters to at least consider working with the Undertow. For some reason, the modul does not see that players/characters could balk at the idea to work with criminals to the point of prefering to work with the Mandato instead.

Eh ... I think I'd give them some time between House of Dust&Ash and their Beast House abduction. The Beast House needs a Reason to abduct them, and unless you're going to stipulate that Haarlock/his agents hired them to get rid of anyone leaving the place and the Beast House decided to put anyone who made it out into the pits instead of just killing them ...

I was in a game where our no-win scenario was an investigation into a Beast House outpost gone horribly wrong, and the reaction teams had knockout toxins; probably originally intended to put down any critters that broke loose. Though, if memory serves, the GM had not mentioned we were doing Haarlock.

Of course, some of us went down faster than others, and I believe the GM ultimately called upon statistics to shorten/speed things up, because the group's two tanks, the Biomancer and the Tech-priest, were shrugging off the knockout darts and needle rounds like they were nothing.

Hi Javcs,

my Stipulation at this is as follows (even more Spoilers to come).

The Heron Mask & his Pilgrims cooperate with the BeastHouse for the sole purpose of getting Hands on a (possible) scion of Haarlock. They were not really aiming for "the characters" but asked/ordered the Beast House to capture as many People getting away from that auction at the House of Dust & Ash as possible. They throw out a wide net here, intending to sort out later. Since "Tattered Fates" has this one Scene with a temple occupied by the Pilgrims featering the remains of some ritual I Play it like they are using divitination to find out possible places to strike. They will be firing lots of "blind", but some of their shots will hit.

The whole "fiery trap Thing" is as much of an suprise to them (and there Onsite beasthouse operatives) as everyones elses, so. But this is not changing the General plan (capture those who leave the auction as the leave the Island). They just have an easier time doing so since their Targets are already roughed up.

That should work nicely. Might be a bit tricky to run, depending on how many people they manage to get out with them, but should be entertaining.

Roughed up and probably carrying lighter weapons/armor than they might otherwise. That'll definitely make it easier.

... plus: if they somehow "saved" somebody form the NPC cast of HoD&A (somebody they liked or somebody they wanted to interrogate) you can have them bloodly removed at the beginning of "Tattered Fates".

Even better: if there were NPC in HoD&A they came to blows with but that managed to survive as well, it might be pure joy sending those along into the Red Cages :D

Yes! And when they wake-up, all those NPCs are ablative meat shields - can kill as many as you want. And any that don't kick it are going to tag along making noise. Heck, even after they get out, they're going to be annoying/stalking the party - but there might be someone (depending on who made it) with potentially useful local connections. Push them away or try to abandon them somewhere, and they might bend whatever local influence/connections they have against the party.

I'm liking this idea of grabbing them right after HoD&A more and more.