Updating RoF rules to match Only War, hit a snag with "Bring Death from Afar"

By TheCreepingDark, in Deathwatch House Rules

As the title suggests I'm trying to bring Deathwatch's RoF rules to match Only War's, Single at +10, Full auto at -10 and only takes half an action. No penalties for moving and shooting. But I've hit a snag with the "Bring Death from Afar" armor history, if I update the rules it does nothing. Does anyone have any advice on what I should have that history do instead that would still fit with the concept?

I can see two ways to take this:

1) Recommended: Make it truly "Bring Death from Afar". It increases the range of weapons it is using by +50%. That might seem extreme, but truly all it does is make sure they're consistently firing at short range, which is only a +10 to their ballistic skill test, and it does exactly nothing for them if they would already be at short range (which is likely, based upon the range constraints of the rest of the party). If you're worried that instead of being able to make extreme range shots with a lascannon at 1200 meters, they can do it at 1800 meters, you're clearly not tracking their ammo consumption.

2) Alternate: Focus on the "sustained fire" part of it- give it the effect of suspensors, such that firing on full or semi auto is a half action. I recommend against this, as that is a much more powerful ability than you might initially think, but hey, it's an option.

Edited by Dr. Quinn

or even just don't bother updating the armor history beyond "re-roll this entry"

The fix we used for suspensors in Deathwatch with Only War rules might be of use to you:

A heavy weapon with suspensors may be used in a half action to move agility bonus and the normal attack.

No extra attacks, but the other half action is still free for aiming or more movement.

If that doesn't suit, you could allow an aim as a free action. Makes the weapon deadlier but not outrageously so.

The fix we used for suspensors in Deathwatch with Only War rules might be of use to you:

A heavy weapon with suspensors may be used in a half action to move agility bonus and the normal attack.

No extra attacks, but the other half action is still free for aiming or more movement.

If that doesn't suit, you could allow an aim as a free action. Makes the weapon deadlier but not outrageously so.

Half action aim as a free action with certain weapons would make a great deal of sense for a suit of armor that allows more mobility with a boost to any aim action.

Call it Gyro stabilization.