Gencon 2014 Worldeater Top 4 Chaos w/ Dark Eldar

By tofubones, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Gencon 2014 Worldeater Top 4 Chaos w/ Dark Eldar

Got back from Gencon , and needed to get down what little I remember before I forget it all. I didn’t take notes and apparently my memory isn’t what it used to be, so I may have gotten the allies and some minor details wrong. I’m pretty sure I got the warlords right.

I chose Chaos w/ Dark Eldar as it matches my play style. I’m a long time Targ Burn/ control player for AGoT LCG, and Chaos has a lot of targeted damage effects and Dark Eldar has a lot of control so what could be better.

Round 1

Vs. Tau w/ Space Marines (I think)

Turn 1 opponent plays 2 units. During combat I play 2 Power from Pains to remove both of them from play. Turn 2 opponent plays only 1 unit, which is destroyed during combat. At this point my opponent scoops since he has no units or attachments in hand and zero board position and I have units at most planets.

1-0

Round 2

Vs. Eldar w/ ??Tau??

Don’t remember much, other than it was a much closer game than Round 1.

2-0

Round 3

Vs. Space Marine w/ Tau

My opponent mulligans his hand. Apparently his new hand is not any better. Puts an Iron Halo on his Warlord and a Speeder at Planet 1. By the end of Turn 2 he has no units, an almost Bloodied Warlord, nothing that costs less than 3 in his hand and I have command at every Planet. He scoops.

3-0

Round 4

Vs. Dark Eldar w/ Eldar

This was the closest game I played. The only thing that saved me was warpstorm and the fact I was able to get it back twice with Coliseum Fighters. It came down to an Epic battle at Planet 6 (maybe 5), which we both needed to win. I managed to get through the first round of combat in a favorable position. This forced my opponent to move all his Khymera tokens to the planet and attack while all my units were exhausted. At that point I play Warpstorm wiping out his side.

4-0

Round 5

Space Marines w/ Imperial Guard or whatever they’re called now

I’d like to blame poor drawing on my loss, but I just got out played. He controlled the command phase better, and had all the answers to anything I could do. He does go 6-0 in swiss, so at least it helps my Strength of Schedule

4-1

Round 6

Eldar w/ Dark Eldar Allies

Starts out close, but I manage to get a dominate board position. My opponent digs for a Doom as I’m constantly winning the first planet. He doesn’t find it. I win.

5-1

Top 8

Vs. Imperial Guard w/ Space Marines

I get my board position up and running early. A couple of Battles go badly for my opponent and I deploy my 2 nd Soul Grinder onto the Planet I need to win. That’s game.

Top 4

Vs. Space Marines w/ Imperial Guard

Rematch from Round 5. This time things start out much more promising for me. My opponent doesn’t draw as well early and I’m able to wipe his board clean, removing a Deathwing Guard with a Power from Pain. I just never draw any of my big hitters to keep my advantage and close the game out. He manages to get enough board position to start winning Planets and then he drops a Dreadnought that I know I can’t do anything about. That’s game. That’s the Tournament for me.

I don’t know the break down of the top 8 for sure, but I was the only Chaos, and I’m pretty sure the other Top 3 decks were Space Marine.

I really like Conquest and look forward to building decks with multiple core sets.

Decklist

Warlord:

Zarathur, High Sorcerer

Signature Squad:

Zarathur’s Flamers x4

Shrine of Warpflame x1

Infernal Gateway x2

Mark of Chaos x1

Chaos Faction:

Units:

Alpha Legion Infiltrator x1

Possessed x1

Splintered Path Acolyte x1

Khorne Berzerker x1

Vicious Bloodletter x1

Umbral Preacher x1

Ravenous Flesh Hounds x1

Virulent Plague Squad x1

Chaos Fanatics x2

Soul Grinder x2

Xavaes Split-Tongue x1

Events:

Warpstorm x1

Tzeentch’s Firestorm x1

Promise of Glory x1

Attachments:

Dire Mutation x1

Support:

Fortress of Madness x1

Murder Cogitator x1

Dark Eldar Faction:

Units:

Sybarite Marksman x1

Incubus Warrior x1

Hellion Gang x1

Baleful Mandrake x1

Coliseum Fighters x2

Kabalite Strike Force x1

Events:

Power from Pain x2

Archon’s Terror x1

Support

Altar of Torment x1

Neutral:

Units:

Rogue Trader x2

Void Pirates x2

Events:

Fall Back! x2

No Mercy x2

Attachment:

Promotion x2

Support:

Promethium Mine x2

Edited by tofubones

awesome report. I was told that SM dominated the field is that true?

I can not believe they limited you to one core.. those decks just look crazy random to me.. like all those 1 slots lol.. how can you plan on any of those draws?

I am a chaos boy at heart so they were the first decks I made, if you get time I would appreciate some incite form a guy who was at the release event.

Chaos / Dark

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/113197-lets-talk-chaos-to-a-lesser-extent-orks-dark-elder-neutral/?p=1196884

Chaos / Orks

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/113197-lets-talk-chaos-to-a-lesser-extent-orks-dark-elder-neutral/?p=1197109

Edited by booored

I don't think there were more space marine players, but I think Space Marines are probably the most forgiving faction and have the best tools, especially in the one core set format. In the signature squad there are four guys that do one damage when deployed, which is great weenie control for command struggles, and 2x magic bullet cards (Fury of Sicarius), and just generally solid units and events that are good on their own. I seriously considered playing them, but decided I'd rather play what I considered most fun.

With one core set, between you main faction, ally choice, and neutral cards I think there were about 5-7 cards that you removed to get down to 50.

You can't plan on seeing any card, but you can try to make sure you can play 4 or so cards turn 1, hopefully getting command at least 3 planets. Really being able to get more draw than you opponent always matters, but in this format is probably even more important to get the cards you really need.

I'll take a look at your deck list, but not sure how much use I'll be yet.

You can't plan on seeing any card, but you can try to make sure you can play 4 or so cards turn 1, hopefully getting command at least 3 planets. Really being able to get more draw than you opponent always matters, but in this format is probably even more important to get the cards you really need.

this is what I am hearing all the time.