A Little Help with Tactics?

By Astinex, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

OK, I have GoT and I really like the concepts involved. I've only played twice and was schooled in both cases. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the tactics of this game and was hoping someone might shed a little light on things I can do. I've always been more of a 'build a strong defense, then work on offense' type of player, but my opponents were both aggressive and pushed me around. (Literally)

Anyone have some advice for me?

Well, it is really a game about counting. When placing your orders, calculate the maximum strength that a person can bring to bear on one area. Place your raids, supports, etc. accordingly. Try to guess where your opponent wil go. That is probably the single biggest thing you can do to improve your play.

Also, if you can disrupt an attack by attacking first, go for it.

Another important thing to use well is the chain march. By marching units into an area with a march, they can move again. Use this to boost your defenses (by marching into a support order) or making unexpected attacks.

Control the seas. This is essential to a successful game. It will make it much easier to defend, as you will have support orders that cannot be raided, and will be able to strike anywhere you please. They can't defend the whole coast.

Save your high strength cards if at all possible. Ideally, your 2s and 3 should be the last three cards in your hand. Naturally, if it is important that you use them earlier, then do so.

Hope some of that helps.

I understand the counting, I just think my play style needs to change for this game. I have a Risk game mentality. I try to reinforce my forces to match or exceed my opponent's power in the areas they choose to build up. I haven't been good about the naval build ups and need to work on that. I jsut find myself resisting the urge to put resources into navies.

My style does mean I hold onto the higher cards longer, but my last two opponents used them early to great advantage. Thank you for the advice.

Well if your two opponents are focusing on you exclusively theres not much way to win anyway....however a usefull tactic in this game is beeing willing to pull out of difficult to defend areas and look for an easy oppertunity to counterattack, which given the way armys are structured, should soon present itself. If a resuply or muster card has just come up you can even ceed valuable territory to an enemy advance and gamble on getting it back later. Also depending on your stratagy you don't have to rule the waves but do make sure that your navy is never completly destroyed, if you can't at least contest the waves you'll be at a big disadvantage

I have to agreed with the other posts here, control the seas and you will find the game much easier, it will also open up the options that you can use against the other opponents.