Baleful eye question

By felismachina, in Only War Rules Questions

Hi. I can't find any info about it in core rulubook so i thought maybe someone here can help me. Does baleful eye shot is standard action, reaction or free action?

I would say that unless anything else is stated, that it is a standard action.

You can use it to attack as a standard action, or as a reaction, but only once per round.

I have one on my Techpriest but not fired it yet! The rest of the cybernetic vision abilities are useful though!

I think the real question is how in the world did your character receive a Baleful Eye?

I think the real question is how in the world did your character receive a Baleful Eye?

Could be a Commissar or a Tech-Priest.

With a rarity of Near Unique, I would question even them having it. If a lowly Tech-Priest could get a Baleful Eye, then why don't we see Space Marines shooting hot shot lasbolts out of their eyes?

Commissar Yarrick is the only character in 40k to have one that I know of, and he is one of the most famous of the Imperium's leaders. With only "a dozen present in a sector at any given time" I would be hard pressed to find a reason for a PC to acquire one that didn't involve single handedly coordinating the defense of an entire hive in the face of a Waaagh!

With a rarity of Near Unique, I would question even them having it. If a lowly Tech-Priest could get a Baleful Eye, then why don't we see Space Marines shooting hot shot lasbolts out of their eyes?

Commissar Yarrick is the only character in 40k to have one that I know of, and he is one of the most famous of the Imperium's leaders. With only "a dozen present in a sector at any given time" I would be hard pressed to find a reason for a PC to acquire one that didn't involve single handedly coordinating the defense of an entire hive in the face of a Waaagh!

Exactly how isn't really relevant, honestly.

And as far as I know, Space Marines aren't in the habit of cutting off fully functional limbs and senses just because there are better options. Really, no-one is. If they really wanted to, I wouldn't even question that Space Marines could replace their eyes with Baleful Eyes at whim. But it's a pretty bad trade-off for Space Marines.

And as far as I know, Space Marines aren't in the habit of cutting off fully functional limbs and senses just because there are better options. Really, no-one is. If they really wanted to, I wouldn't even question that Space Marines could replace their eyes with Baleful Eyes at whim. But it's a pretty bad trade-off for Space Marines.

Iron Hands disagree ;) One of the goofiest Astartes Chapters, in my mind. You take years of suffering, training, and trials, get turned into a Space Marine, and get all of your extra mcguffin organs, and then you decide that this demigod flesh is inferior to simple machine apparatus, and you start cutting bits off, so that you can feel better about yourself. Dumb, and they don't even incorporate rules for how to lose their Astartes benefits, since some of those organs need to get pulled to make room for all the crap they want to add. Several Space Marine Chapters have to start with defunct gene-seed organs, usually the one that lets you go into stasis, but the Iron Hands don't, even though they'll chop said off. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

In OW, I like to think of bionics as a reward and a benefit/replacement. I see the Imperium as seeing their soldiers as their single most disposable resource; there's always more grunts in the grimdark future, but bionics, even the, if you'll excuse me, "crap" kind that would be given out to "regular joes", are a work for the AdMech, and while it's what they do, the recipient should probably need to prove worth the time investment, so have done some skilled work, but valiantly lost the limb, in that exercise. Otherwise, most Guardsmen don't live long enough to need augments, and probably lost life with their limb. MIUs, and the occasional bionic eye for snipers, these make SOME sense, but beyond that...

To clarify. Nobody have baleful eye since i decided it's too rare to anyone have. But tech priest start with 2 good cybernetics it's not specified which and while i still think baleful eye is out of question i was wondering how does it work, is it really unbalaced or just las pistol in the eye. Anyway real question is why put something so rare that only one person in whole universe have it in rulebook?

To clarify. Nobody have baleful eye since i decided it's too rare to anyone have. But tech priest start with 2 good cybernetics it's not specified which and while i still think baleful eye is out of question i was wondering how does it work, is it really unbalaced or just las pistol in the eye. Anyway real question is why put something so rare that only one person in whole universe have it in rulebook?

In reality, no, Baleful Eye is not really unbalanced, and it really is just a las-pistol in the eye.

It's real power lies in the fact that not everyone will be aware of the fact that it's actually a souped-up las-pistol in the eye, letting you set people up by suddenly shooting them during a conversation, or scare primitives by killing them with your "evil eye". And so on and so forth.

It's biggest power is narrative, not mechanical, and that is also how you should look at it. The Enginseer won't be the one on the frontline during any negotiations anyway, and it's Only War, not Rogue Trader - it's unlikely that you'll be in the situation where the player might have the chance to pull something outlandish off during a negotiation, face-to-face.

I'd just let him have the eye. Given that he can pick any Cybernetic he wants by RAW, and it's always Good-Craftsmanship, the Baleful Eye is really a sucker's choice. It looks good and shiny, but it's usefulness is entirely circumstantial. He'd be better off with Bionic Legs and Arms.

My issue with the Baleful Eye is that it isn't something that I have heard of outside of Yarrick (though the game is set before his rise to fame). So that alone tells me that it is a comparatively rare piece of bionics, as opposed to bionic eyes or limbs which seem to be quite prevalent, though uncommon for the average man.

And that is just my impression of the implant itself, let alone the rarity rating in the game. It is "Near Unique" which should tell you immediately that people don't just have these. The description for that rarity is along the lines of "only a handful of the given item existing in the sector at any given time".

So say there are maybe a dozen Baleful Eyes in all of the Calixis Sector. That is twelve of these particular implants in all the subsectors, hive worlds, forge worlds, Ad Mech outposts, nobles, generals, admirals, inquisitors, and Rogue Traders present in the entirety of the sector.

Keep in mind that this rarity is also used to describe inferno pistols, displacer fields, personal power fields, force swords, omni scopes, and tempest bolt rounds. These are all profoundly rare and usually ancient pieces of technology that are extremely difficult to replicate on a small scale, and almost impossible to manufacture on a large scale.

That being said, I would find it quite difficult to explain why a starting player would have such a rare and valuable piece of essentially archeotech, when even their superiors in the sector capital would have a hard time acquiring (let alone finding!) that very same bionic eye.

I was nice to my GM and he was impressed with the level of effort I put into my character and back story!

I don't feel it is overpowered as it will probably never be fired, its just nice to have as a back up. It is very useful as a cybernetic eye however :-)

My issue with the Baleful Eye is that it isn't something that I have heard of outside of Yarrick (though the game is set before his rise to fame).

Colonel Schaeffer, Commander of Last Chancer, had Baleful Eye bionic in the Book.

AFB but didn't Baleful Eye loose power after used for shot and had to recharge to be used again. That is you loose sight in that eye for sometime. Might remember wrong.

My issue with the Baleful Eye is that it isn't something that I have heard of outside of Yarrick (though the game is set before his rise to fame).

Colonel Schaeffer, Commander of Last Chancer, had Baleful Eye bionic in the Book.

AFB but didn't Baleful Eye loose power after used for shot and had to recharge to be used again. That is you loose sight in that eye for sometime. Might remember wrong.

Giving it Recharge would be appropriate, unless it's Integrated (which it should probably get if it's a Tech-Priest's Baleful Eye).

Mostly in fluff if I remember, but Recharge would be my own put to this thing, even if its integrated.

There is no reload as there is no clip size. It is powered by the Tech Priest himself, same as an integrated weapon.

It even says in the rules it is equivalent to a hot shot pistol with range 10m and no clip size

There is no reload as there is no clip size. It is powered by the Tech Priest himself, same as an integrated weapon.

It even says in the rules it is equivalent to a hot shot pistol with range 10m and no clip size

There is no reload as there is no clip size. It is powered by the Tech Priest himself, same as an integrated weapon.It even says in the rules it is equivalent to a hot shot pistol with range 10m and no clip size

The problem of course being that anyone can get a Baleful Eye, not just Tech-Priests.

Potentially yes, but realistically if not taken as a starting character I would say any character is unlikely to ever get one.

If I was GM I would certainly not let any non-Techpriest acquire one.

Having said that, I still believe it would be pretty low down the list of implants a character might want to acquire. If I was to re-build my character again I would think twice about choosing the Baleful eye as one of my two initial cybernetic choices