Statting Abaddon (and other notable characters)

By Crystal Geyser, in Black Crusade House Rules

10 000 years of experience more tougher, smarter and stronger? :P

Pfshh. Warp Years don't yount. :P

Those stats outdo Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons and this is why his numbers are terrible and therefore I would readjust them and force weapons are still viable.

No they ain't. There 90% chance that the attack is just ignored.

Edited now I've had chance to reread it, nope wrong. All you have to do is make contact and he only has two reactions a round and a 50% field save chance

Force weapons are murderous and are opposed WP tests and there are easily ways to stack all the numbers and powers in the right combination for a high level character to easily look at a PR of around 20 (which IS possible and allowed under the rules) which grants a further WP bonus of 5 times each point. It's easily possible to make your effective stat for Willpower way above 100. Modifiers have no theoretical limit, only test difficulty settings as defined by the GM and even they can be adjusted. So you're looking at Fail-baddon's WP90 against someone rolling opposed WP with effective WP200 easily. Stats over 100 still count as failure for rolls but still apply for calculating DoS.

And you still think he has a 90% chance of winning? Yeah...pull the other one. Assume they both roll natural 1's. 10DoS over Abaddon. So, 10D10 damage inflicted ignoring armour and toughness, average of 50. Yep, that'll do it.

Numbers can be provided if required.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Go to the first page, dude. You say that abaddon of this first page is weak. He has a forcefield of 90%, which means that all the attack you make agasint him will be ignored 90% of time, you can't one shot him.

orce weapons are murderous and are opposed WP tests and there are easily ways to stack all the numbers and powers in the right combination for a high level character to easily look at a PR of around 20

Unless you're well **** far in the game, your players won't have a psy rating of 20.

It's easily possible to make your effective stat for Willpower way above 100

A game based on 100% don't really let you go above 100%. If your GM let you do this, then his problem, but that's not Abaddon that is weak, that's your game master that doesn't know how to balance his game.

And you still think he has a 90% chance of winning? Yeah...pull the other one. Assume they both roll natural 1's. 10DoS over Abaddon. So, 10D10 damage inflicted ignoring armour and toughness, average of 50. Yep, that'll do it.

Your force weapon hit will be negated by a forcefield of 90% chance when it touches. End of the story.

Abaddon then one shot your character with drach'nyen.

No, there is no kind of character that can one shot him easily. Unless you speak of a character stronger than abaddon, which, at this point, is pointless since you decided to let your game go to "god-level"

Perhaps I hadn't clarified by stance, seems we are at a misunderstanding good sir apologies, and I fear I'm getting somewhat offensive or bullish so I'll tone my stance down a little. I am ignoring his 90 field save on the sword because it makes no logical sense for it to have it. There is nothing in any text I know of which justifies the sword having that high a field save and goes back to my original argument that the OP stats are a load of dingos kidneys. For the purposes of my argument I do not recognise it as valid. Hence my argument that his field save is not 90. If that were the case then in all texts he would have a 2+ armour and a 2+ invulnerable save. The save though is granted from his mark and Infernal Halo which is only PR 50.

Unless you're well **** far in the game, your players won't have a psy rating of 20.

The PR 20(ish) is provided as a one shot. Maximum PR which can be bought before modifiers is 10. It is easier to get to this than you think and you can get this relatively soon with a good amount of XP but if we were at the point where Abaddon is being challenged you would need to be a strong character with a lot of assets behind you so yes a base character won't have this, we're talking veterans or those wanting to try it.

A game based on 100% don't really let you go above 100%. If your GM let you do this, then his problem, but that's not Abaddon that is weak, that's your game master that doesn't know how to balance his game.

There is a difference between effective stat and actual stat. Your actual stat, the number on the character sheet, cannot exceed a 100 and I agree with this. This does not however mean that your effective stat for the purposes of the one test cannot temporarily (or with modifiers) exceed this. Again it is up to your GM whether they do deny this. 91-00 remains a fail as per the book (although I go 96-00 personally) however that doesn't mean the modified stat cannot be used for the purposes of calculating degrees of success or some numbers.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Perhaps I hadn't clarified by stance, seems we are at a misunderstanding good sir apologies, and I fear I'm getting somewhat offensive or bullish so I'll tone my stance down a little. I am ignoring his 90 field save on the sword because it makes no logical sense for it to have it. There is nothing in any text I know of which justifies the sword having that high a field save and goes back to my original argument that the OP stats are a load of dingos kidneys. For the purposes of my argument I do not recognise it as valid. Hence my argument that his field save is not 90. If that were the case then in all texts he would have a 2+ armour and a 2+ invulnerable save. The save though is granted from his mark and Infernal Halo which is only PR 50.

Ha, this is clearer indeed.

But then, you can't say that abaddon here is weak, yours maybe (and I've got no problem with that), but not that one.

The PR 20(ish) is provided as a one shot. Maximum PR which can be bought before modifiers is 10. It is easier to get to this than you think and you can get this relatively soon with a good amount of XP but if we were at the point where Abaddon is being challenged you would need to be a strong character with a lot of assets behind you so yes a base character won't have this, we're talking veterans or those wanting to try it.

Question of interpretation, my players wouldn't be maxed up in a game where they want to fight abaddon, they should just be of a strong level, and plan their operation verywell to get close, in a team, to abaddon, where this will be a little more dangerous for our great warmaster.

There is a difference between effective stat and actual stat. Your actual stat, the number on the character sheet, cannot exceed a 100 and I agree with this. This does not however mean that your effective stat for the purposes of the one test cannot temporarily (or with modifiers) exceed this. Again it is up to your GM whether they do deny this. 91-00 remains a fail as per the book (although I go 96-00 personally) however that doesn't mean the modified stat cannot be used for the purposes of calculating degrees of success or some numbers.

I think the automatic failure is 96+ and not 91+, but maybe i'm mistaken.

As for the degrees of success, I consider the top to be 100, so the degrees are calculated from here. That's where unnatural stats become handy.