Mission 4 - Impossible to save both scientists?

By Small Geezer, in Doom

We've just played through mission 4 and we spotted that the 2 scientists in area 1 require 2 moves to get between assuming a standard sprint movement of 8 spaces. Therefore there is only one way to save both and that is:

Move up to but do not open the door into area 1.

Go 1. Sprint and run to scientist 1.

Go 2. Sprint across the board finishing by scientist 2.

Go 3. Advance and finish movement on scientist 2.

Now I understand that the haul of goods you get for getting both scientists is awesome, but surely it should be possible having advanced into the room? If you're playing this level for the 1st time there is virtually no chance. I mean who sprints into a room?

How's about 3 marines in the game? 1 marine go center and cover their back, the other 2 marines advance (no need to rush) to the scientists blasting the invaders near them.

I've played the scen 4 times with 2 Marines, each time I've saved both scientists (though failed to ultimately pass the scenario). If you have both Marines adjacent to the door before opening it (not the best bet I agree, blocking spawn LOS is more important), the Marine who doesn't open the door, can advance to the N scientist (assuming he's on the N side of the corridor). Killer Instinct helps a lot, if you can kill an Imp.

Good point, I omitted a key piece of information. "with only 1 marine".

Now I know this isn't the best way to play, but the marine player wanted to try and complete the campaign with one marine, but it does make things like this a little difficult!

A little difficult, but not impossible. I've played invader vs 1 marine in all 5 scenarios, that little marine managed to escape all 5.

Knuckles Eki said:

A little difficult, but not impossible. I've played invader vs 1 marine in all 5 scenarios, that little marine managed to escape all 5.

I haven't ever been able to do that (close though)

Those fickle evil dice.... :)