Fearful Aura

By Crispin, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Greetings all!

I have a quick question about the Fearful Aura psyker power. So my psyker has the ability to roll really ******* well (with his WP bonus of 5) while always managing to manifest the smallest of the warp perils, if any at all.

So my question is, with the best maximum roll, what is the limit on the Fear rating a psyker can achieve with overbleed? I assume it is fear rating 4?

Edited by Crispin

Fear ratings can't get any higher than 4. This is plenty high enough, since most enemies will have a very hard time passing a -30 Willpower test.

On this topic, actually, what would happen if a Psyker used Fearful Aura, then got Psychic Phenomena and got the daemonic Mask result? Would you combine the two Fear Ratings, or.....?

You wouldn't combine the two fear ratings. I imagine that Daemonic Mask and, in fact, many of the Psychic Phenomena and Perils are simply psychic powers, unbound by the Psyker's will or desire. In other words, powers he has no control over. For example, Tech Scorn is merely weapon jam, though without any limitations or control.

Does he have a safe word to avoid scaring the dog sh;t out of his team mates?

Our psyker screams, "Pineapple ****!" And all of the PCs close their eyes and cover their ears.

It is effective.

Personally would I not say that something like that would work. It is an aura after all, not just a picture, even if the description is so silly as to say that. But really... how many imperial guardsmen would get scared from a picture alone, animals or most robots alike.

There is some kind of gaze power in Rouge Trader, I can´t remember what it did or how it works, but even that have in the description that looking away while being in the area of effect won´t fully work.

Think on it like this, would a demon be less scary if you turned around when someone warned you about it, you sticking your fingers in your ears and go "La di la la"?

Sure, but it is really, really funny. Therefore, it stays.

Fear ratings can't get any higher than 4. This is plenty high enough, since most enemies will have a very hard time passing a -30 Willpower test.

The Heirophant Biotitan in Deathwatch has one of 5.

The Heirophant Biotitan in Deathwatch has one of 5.

True, but the point that in the 40K line there is precedence for Fear Ratings higher than 4 stands.

Albeit they are truly truly truly scary things that are as you say outside what the Inquisition is going to deal with.

True, but the point that in the 40K line there is precedence for Fear Ratings higher than 4 stands.

Albeit they are truly truly truly scary things that are as you say outside what the Inquisition is going to deal with.

The rules are incongruous. You can argue that there's precedent in the 40k line, but there's also precedent for completely different versions of combat

True, but the point that in the 40K line there is precedence for Fear Ratings higher than 4 stands. Albeit they are truly truly truly scary things that are as you say outside what the Inquisition is going to deal with.

The rules are incongruous. You can argue that there's precedent in the 40k line, but there's also precedent for completely different versions of combat
Completely different versions of combat?

Different modifiers, special rules, and interactions. The base rolls and damage calculations are the same, everything else varies.

Enter Lynata and AK-73.

Eternal struggle.