Another newbie - this is a little different....

By SammyBoyFTW2, in CoC General Discussion

Howdy folks,

I'll just cut to the chase.

I've got all the cards (bar SotD and Dreamlands), a little experience, possible ADD, a critical inability to spot obvious combos, and lot of teabags.

I enjoy the theme of Hastur, and I'm also developing a taste for the Syndicate and Silver Twilight.

What're the auto-includes to look for when deckbuilding with these factions, judging the current card pool?

Thanks,

Sammy.

It depends on what sort of deck you're making really, as well as what factions you are pairing up.

For instance, a Syndicate mono deck could be a skill deck in which case you start with cards like Mr. David Pan, Parallel Universe, maybe Hatchet Man, and then put in lots of cards that lower enemy skill or buff your own, plus cards that kill characters with low skill. However, you could also build an entirely different Syndicate deck based on exhausting and uncommitting opposing characters so you can go to stories unopposed for example. This might use cards like On the Lam, Intimidate, Forcing the Truth, Kidnapping 101, Bound & Gagged. Another type might be a Day deck based on keeping your characters ready through Crooked Attorney and La Bella Luna.

If you just want some general "good cards" the links above will help with that but ideally you want to take the type of deck into account at least somewhat and it matters what else is in the deck too. For instance, Naomi O'Bannion is great if you have some Tactic cards to use with her ability, but if you aren't using any then I'd probably skip her for someone else.

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for your suggestions!

I'd actually spied those 'Top 10 *faction* cards' on the cardgamedb forums under the newbie guide, and they're a very useful jumping off point. The problem at least for me (being in Australia) is the relatively small local playerbase, which leads to a somewhat meandering meta.

Regardless, I love this game to death. Not only did it get me into card gaming in the first place, but it got me more into HP Lovecraft's works, and a whole new glorious world of literature nerddom in the form of wierd fiction.

I must say, after a bit of digging, I am super duper miffed that FFG's releasing the Hastur faction box last. I mean come on. All we need to make the Lunatics viable is a Loyal or Steadfast support card that readies insane characters after they're restored. Tie that in with Whispers in the Wind and Hamu XXwhatever and you've got mono Hastur. We have to wait another YEAR for this?

Wait, did I just come up with a combo?

In the meantime, the closest you can probably get is Arkham Asylum & Dr. Carson. Lunatics go well with Miskatonic in general for their anti-insanity and benefit-from-insanity cards.

Test post

Test post

test success?

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for your suggestions!

I'd actually spied those 'Top 10 *faction* cards' on the cardgamedb forums under the newbie guide, and they're a very useful jumping off point. The problem at least for me (being in Australia) is the relatively small local playerbase, which leads to a somewhat meandering meta.

Regardless, I love this game to death. Not only did it get me into card gaming in the first place, but it got me more into HP Lovecraft's works, and a whole new glorious world of literature nerddom in the form of wierd fiction.

I must say, after a bit of digging, I am super duper miffed that FFG's releasing the Hastur faction box last. I mean come on. All we need to make the Lunatics viable is a Loyal or Steadfast support card that readies insane characters after they're restored. Tie that in with Whispers in the Wind and Hamu XXwhatever and you've got mono Hastur. We have to wait another YEAR for this?

Wait, did I just come up with a combo?

Hastur isn't the best faction right now. However, they have a lot of great tools that can make them a great support faction for another. Use their cancels and spot control to add to another faction. I am also really excited for their box and wish was before Shub because they are just on the edge of being really good just need a few solid characters. They have a lot of good effects from events and supports just need characters that can stand toe to toe with other factions.