Broadsides

By mazz0, in Star Wars: Armada

Anyone noticed how much stronger the forward attacks are than the the broadside attacks? Sorta makes sense for the Star Destroyer (although I seem to recall reading somewhere that the slope of its triangle was insufficient to allow it to bring all its gone to bear on a target ahead of it), but the corvette? Most of its guns are on the side, with their forward view obstructed.

Must have been a gameplay decision I suppose.

Yes, it's common among all three ships. As a broadside fan I am slightly disappointed, but I can live with it.

In Star Wars parlance, specifically lore laid down in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, most starships have their strongest fields of fire in their frontal arc.

Most capital ship weapons are mounted on turrets along sides, top and bottom..this usually means that to some degree all weapons, except rear mounted weapons, can focus fire up front. The main exception would be large spinal mounted weapons..which would also be forward firing.

Since turrets and batteries are pretty oldschool in terms of engineering, and spaceships don't need to be designed with aerodynamics or water dynamics in mind...designing a hull with clear focus fire potential in a combat ship is standard.

Edited by TarlSS

In Star Wars parlance, specifically lore laid down in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, most starships have their strongest fields of fire in their frontal arc.

Most capital ship weapons are mounted on turrets along sides, top and bottom..this usually means that to some degree all weapons, except rear mounted weapons, can focus fire up front. The main exception would be large spinal mounted weapons..which would also be forward firing.

Since turrets and batteries are pretty oldschool in terms of engineering, and spaceships don't need to be designed with aerodynamics or water dynamics in mind...designing a hull with clear focus fire potential in a combat ship is standard.

Edited by mazz0

Aah - I getting it! It's the shapes of the arcs - on the Star Destroyer and the Corvette the front arc comes way back down the side, meaning when you're broadside to your target you can attack with the front and side arcs (since you get two attacks), so broadsiding will indeed be the way to go, from the looks of it.

Edited by mazz0