First game was too easy, I think I did something wrong - some rules questions..

By LilDrake, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Hi guys,

So yesterday we played the game for the first time and we started off with the mission 'Emergency'. At the start we drew the General AI card that said 'Place every Locust that is more than 5 areas away now only 4 areas away from the nearest COG Player'. So we took ALL locusts of ALL tiles (so every locust that we had set up on every tile) and then the next player just threw a bomb on them and all were dead.

First question is, is that how that specific AI card works? We were doubting if we should have done that with every locust on the map or just the one on the tile that we were on (A12 or something).

Second question, once every locust is dead, do some spawn automatically? Cause there were reaaaaally not a lot of AI cards that spawned locusts in this mission.

You still need a grenade to seal off the emergence hole (which doesn't always go to plan), and all the cards will be reshuffled 2-3 times per mission.

Yes some re-spawn. and they hit really hard when they do shoot. You only need 1-2 Locust to make your day pretty difficult.

I think you may have fudged the range rule of the grenade, can't be sure as I haven't checked the AI card you described. But if it was a bolo grenade used, the range you can throw it is 2 areas and if the locusts have been placed 4 areas away, the grenade wouldn't reach. Also did you roll for the grenade and then make separate defense rolls for each locust effected in the blast area targeted.

Hope this Helps, I must add I am a new player to this game also, so I hope I have explained things properly :D

I think your find China Shop a bit harder

Hi guys,

So yesterday we played the game for the first time and we started off with the mission 'Emergency'. At the start we drew the General AI card that said 'Place every Locust that is more than 5 areas away now only 4 areas away from the nearest COG Player'. So we took ALL locusts of ALL tiles (so every locust that we had set up on every tile) and then the next player just threw a bomb on them and all were dead.

First question is, is that how that specific AI card works? We were doubting if we should have done that with every locust on the map or just the one on the tile that we were on (A12 or something).

Sounds like you didn't read the card carefully/fully. That particular General AI card has you draw another AI card after resolving it. "Best" AI card combo is: That AI card, thus moving all Locust to 4 areas away -> AI that has all Locust within 4 move 3 areas (also prompts another AI draw) -> Firefight (all Locust move up to 2, then attack) so every Locust that was on the map is now attacking the COGs, all in one sequence of AI card draws, without a COG turn taking place in between.

Also, while doable with a Move + Attack Order and using a Bolo, grenades tend to have weak damage (omen doesn't boost damage), so some Locust might survive, esp. Boomers.

Edited by Dam

You guys are fantastic. It seems that we did play the game right and 1 or 2 locusts did respawn after a COG turn or 3, but it just seemed so little as we were screaming we were gonna die the first few turns xD

@Avalanche, thank you, I was having doubts that the mission cards should be reshuffled that much. You go through cards pretty quickly if no locusts are in play. And knowing that having 1-2 locust on the map is 'normal' also is an reassurance.

@Mighty, I walked before I threw the grenade to get into 2 range of them and made a defense roll for all the enemies, they were just really unlucky xD

@Dam, w00t. Good to know that locust can be such (insert awful word). I think I now grasp what the mechanics of this game is now and how they are 'supposed' to work.

Whew, thanks guys!