One more thing about the app

By Robin Graves, in XCOM: The Board Game

So the app randomly chooses wich invasion plan (out of five) it will use, right?

What if it ends up using the same one 2 or 3 games in a row? Can we opt to choose a diferent mission manualy?

Also if you need an app to run part of the game i start wondering how complex and convoluted the rules might be. Look at Ghost stories: that game plays itself against 4 players, using only cards and dice and it's streamlined and hard as nails. I'm sure FF could make something good without imediatly jumping to the app!

I'm definatly in the camp of people who don't like the requirement of the app.

a board game should be a board game, There's something ironic about having to use an xcom boardgame app on the same laptop i have the xcom pc game! Also, people's concern over wether this thing will still be playable in 5 years are valid.

Perhaps i'm being a bit unfair here but ingame apps seem about as succesfull as those atmosfear vhs games. And we all know we play these games once, and then we grow tired of them.

- be honest!

This would have been amazing, why oh why oh why did they make having to use an App compulsory?

WORST. MARKETING. DECISION. EVER.

I have no way to use Apps

Game over.

@madquest8: I must agree with you on this one...coupling a board game with an app is ridiculous.

I hope they'll include a card driven equivalent with the game...

Truth.

I play board games so I won't have to look at digital screen after work.

Another thing about said app: The description says "online tool". Does that mean that you actually need a constant active connection or is it enough to just download it?

Another thing about said app: The description says "online tool". Does that mean that you actually need a constant active connection or is it enough to just download it?

It looks like it's either downloaded in app form on a tablet or smartphone, OR used through whatever website they set up for it. In one case, it appears it's download and done (no online needed), but in the other, it appears online is necessary. Just what it looks like to me.

This would have been amazing, why oh why oh why did they make having to use an App compulsory?

WORST. MARKETING. DECISION. EVER.

Game over.

Why does this seem to make you so upset?

You have an internet connection that can get you to this website, so you'd be able to use the online version of the app which they've built specifically for people who don't have "app platforms" available.

Of course, I'm sure the idea of having an active internet connection is equally unpalatable, so you won't be buying the game anyway.

It looks like it's either downloaded in app form on a tablet or smartphone, OR used through whatever website they set up for it. In one case, it appears it's download and done (no online needed), but in the other, it appears online is necessary. Just what it looks like to me.

I agree with your assessment. Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet you could download the online version of the app with the right browser plugins and run it while your computer is offline, if you wanted to.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the app requires an active internet connection to operate. FFG is providing a version of the app on a website as an alternative for those who don't have an iPhone (or what-have-you) to run the app, but it only requires an internet connection in the sense that you need to get to the website somehow.

Edited by Steve-O

I have no objections to apps that assist recording a game or even assist with gameplay.

I do strongly object and will vote with my money to apps that are integral to a game. I rarely play Computer games as I prefer the physical components and interaction. I see enough screens at work and as a reference / social contact format at home.

If I wanted a computer game I would buy one. Why buy X-wing when I could have a far better computer simulation... my answer/choice is personal preference and I have bought a lot of X-Wing.

Why didn't they survey us as users of the forum we are clearly their cutomers. This was one of my favourite PC Games , I haven't played it for years because I haven't played a computer game for years.

I still have some board games I purchased many years ago , I would never invest in a game that relies on current technology to be available for the next 2-10 years.

My investment could be destroyed by FFG dropping the On Line resource , my tablet not supporting it etc etc.

Unless this game can be played without the app (Cards/Paper Tabeles/Charts) I won't be buying it.

Edited by starman

I have no objections to apps that assist recording a game or even assist with gameplay.

I do strongly object and will vote with my money to apps that are integral to a game. I rarely play Computer games as I prefer the physical components and interaction. I see enough screens at work and as a reference / social contact format at home.

If I wanted a computer game I would buy one. Why buy X-wing when I could have a far better computer simulation... my answer/choice is personal preference and I have bought a lot of X-Wing.

It's a good thing there is still a physical board and parts to move around that board.....as well as the requirment of your friends being physically at the board if they want to play.

Why didn't they survey us as users of the forum we are clearly their cutomers. This was one of my favourite PC Games , I haven't played it for years because I haven't played a computer game for years.

Did they survey potential customers on the multitude of other games they've come out with? Do they run every game design idea past the populace before implementing it?

I still have some board games I purchased many years ago , I would never invest in a game that relies on current technology to be available for the next 2-10 years.

This problem could be solved with an update to the program as new technology arrives. If the game is popular enough, I'm sure we can expect expansions and updated versions to the board game as well as updates to the app to match. And why such pessimism anyway? Lots of things go obsolete or are otherwise unusable after a period of time.

My investment could be destroyed by FFG dropping the On Line resource , my tablet not supporting it etc etc.

While I admit to not knowing exactly how the app will be released, this could be a none issue if you are allowed to download the app without having purchased the boardgame itself. Technically the app is useless without the board game, so it would be an easy indicater if your tablet can run it. And if all they have to do is throw the online resource up on a website and forget it (should the game not be successful), that wouldn't really cost them anything so people who did buy (and like) the game can keep playing.

Did they survey potential customers on the multitude of other games they've come out with? Do they run every game design idea past the populace before implementing it?

My thoughts exactly. It's not like surveying the general public (in a broad sense, anyway) is common practice for board game designers. I'm sure there are sample groups and blind play tests, but that's not the sort of thing we're liable to hear about online all the time.

I'm brought to wonder if crowdfunding operations like Kickstarter are giving people a false sense of entitlement that they be allowed to provide input on the development stages of a new game? To say that you don't like the game is one thing, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. To suggest that FFG was somehow obligated or expected to consult the forums regarding their ideas for future games is the height of hubris, and entirely unfounded.

Also, as has been pointed out in several of these X-COM related threads already, it's not like this is the first game to do this sort of thing, ever, in the history of board gaming. Board games have been released in the past that required peripheral technologies like CD players (ie: Space Alert) or VHS machines (AtmosFear) - both of which would almost certainly be done using an app if they were being released today rather than 10 or 20 years ago.

The idea is not as shockingly original as a lot of people seem to think it is.

Edited by Steve-O

@steve, I wasn't feeling entitled.It was an idea that I have seen other companies do via polls, to forum members. FFG know our tastes if we have recorded game ownership.

I am quite sure I was clearly expressing my opinion and thoughts.

I was not condemning their choice at a hybrid ugame or even suggesting it was a new idea.

Although I think it is for FFG.

I get the feeling from you that I shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

You are clearly able to read more into my knowledge and motives than I am.

I am just voicing an opinion ...

One MORE thing...

I don't have a smartphone. I don't have a laptop. Ive got a pc on a small desk upstairs. If i want to play this boardgame at home I'll either have to move the pc to our big dining/gaming table verytime we play. Buy a smartphone. Neither option is great.

"but!" I hear you say "can't you get your friends to download this app?" Why yes i can. One of my friends even has a laptop and a smartphone. "Then what's the problem?" you may ask. Well that still leaves the game's SOLO mode. (not a big part of the game but yet it is there.) This is one PART OF THE GAME I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO, unless i buy a smarthpone/ drag my pc down a flight of steps/ buy a biger desk, i can't proplerly enjoy a part of this BOARD GAME in my OWN HOUSE.

So I would like to ask FF: save me from the unnessecary purchase of a smartphone/bigger desk and make the app optional ok?

So I would like to ask FF: save me from the unnessecary purchase of a smartphone/bigger desk and make the app optional ok?

If they include smartphone in game box it may be tempting to buy it :)

from the small info we have and from ff past history. it seems unlikely that you can play the game with out the app if there was it would not say it needs the app to play it would say something like "game works better with this app" as for the people saying they will not buy it but sorry i am fairy sure they know this would make you not but the game but make the game like this anyway, which would mean the app is need to have the game run correctly and sur some one will most likely make some house rules so you can play with out the app but i am guessing it will losed of the game.

edit: spelling

Edited by theonelawler

Surprising hatred for the app here... I am sure if needed they could produce a set of cards to replace the app, but I think it's going to be pretty good.

I also think if popular they may introduce extra scenarios and the like with an app update.

I understand the old "it's a board game" shout, but (even if it's not totally unique) it is great they are experimenting with game design. I doubt it will be the mainstream, but with the proliferation of smart phones and tablets it is a smart marketing strategy, especially with a cult game like xcom.

We have had cd's, dvd's and VHS for games before, even Dark Tower which was a computer controlled game, so the time of the app is here.

I am just voicing an opinion ...

I think that Starman's response was directed at me rather than you. =P

I am quite sure I was clearly expressing my opinion and thoughts.

I am quite sure that you came off more demandy than you perhaps intended.

"I do strongly object and will vote with my money to apps that are integral to a game."

"If I wanted a computer game I would buy one."

"Why didn't they survey us as users of the forum we are clearly their customers."

This may not be how you intended to sound, but taken all together, your post makes you sound petulant about the fact that FFG has made a design decision you disagree with.

I was not condemning their choice at a hybrid ugame or even suggesting it was a new idea.

"I see enough screens at work and as a reference / social contact format at home."

"Why buy X-wing when I could have a far better computer simulation... my answer/choice is personal preference and I have bought a lot of X-Wing."

" I would never invest in a game that relies on current technology to be available for the next 2-10 years."

" My investment could be destroyed by FFG dropping the On Line resource , my tablet not supporting it etc etc."

Again, this may not be how you intended it, but that sounds fairly condemning of the idea of an app/board game hybrid to me.

I get the feeling from you that I shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

You are clearly able to read more into my knowledge and motives than I am.

I get the feeling from you that you just enjoy complaining about stuff, and anyone who takes you to task for what you actually said is an aggressor, subverting your freedom of speech.

I don't claim to know what goes on inside your head, nor what motivates the words you choose to post in these forums. I can only respond to what you actually say. If the response you're seeing surprises you, perhaps you should take a moment to consider how your post might read to someone other than yourself.

I'll be the first to admit that the lack of tone of voice or body language in forums such as this can sometimes cause a perfectly innocent post to come off as offensive to another reader.

If my response offended you, then I apologize sincerely, but understand that your initial post also came off as a lot more intense than you perhaps intended.

Surprising hatred for the app here... I am sure if needed they could produce a set of cards to replace the app, but I think it's going to be pretty good.

It is not hate. It is common sense.

If I buy video game I don't expect they will add dice to CD and that tell me to roll it in some situations.

Same is with board or card game. I don't expect to use app if I have boards, cards, dice and counters.

It is not hate. It is common sense.

If I buy video game I don't expect they will add dice to CD and that tell me to roll it in some situations.

Same is with board or card game. I don't expect to use app if I have boards, cards, dice and counters.

If they never mentioned the app requirement, you might have a point. But the first time anyone is hearing about this game includes the app being required, why are you saying that you don't expect to use the app?

This isn't common sense, it's poor reasoning to dislike something for the sole reason of disliking it.

Edited by Xraysteve

I see your point now.

There is no particular reason why anyone should like the app so you like the app for the sole reason of liking it.

My 2 cents: I like the idea of a companion app. I believe that it will give the board a more dynamic way of responding to the actions, and subsequent successes or failures, the players choose to do. More dynamic, that is, than any deck, or decks, of cards could ever do.

Again: MY 2 cents... Feel free to disagree and even attempt to debate with me. But please, keep it civil.

I see your point now.

There is no particular reason why anyone should like the app so you like the app for the sole reason of liking it.

Partially correct, however, I never said I liked/disliked the app. I don't know what all it does aside from determining some basic game movements. But I am seeing a lot of people hating it simply because it's an app.

At least the people who have some level of optimism about the app are willing to wait and demo the game or read a review or even one more article from FFG before throwing up their hands and saying "A mandatory app? I'm out!"

Edited by Xraysteve

Meanwhile, I'm one of those nutcases that really only care if the game is any darn good. If it's great, I'm buying. If it stinks, it doesn't matter if it needs an app or not, I'm not buying.

@Scottgun - I see your nutcase and raise you a fanatic because I will be getting the game anyway as soon as I can find a pre-order I am in. I have great faith in FFG, as I can't really think of an FFG BG that is terrible. Admittedly I have not played every single one, but I own enough to know they are good.

If I did have an issue with FFG is the time to play seems to be getting longer with their big box games, and some games like arkham and android can take an age to set up.

Edited by FatPob

I was listing my reasons for not purchasing this game if the app is crucial. I know I am not alone.

You do not need to stray far from board gaming to see companies seeking opinion from their likely audience for new ideas and products. This one sort of snuck up on us.

I do not kid myself that I have any influence overr FFG apart from a count of 1 who will not be buying this game.

I wannted to make it clear and factual rather than emotional.

Many big companies , FFG included, do not produce errata for paper based games e.g. produce the game and then move on, luckily gamers have resources or consensus based answers etc. If there is a bug in the app what will happen. The contractor/progrmmers may have moved on. I have seen apps from major corporations fall into these traps. Read respnoses on google shop etc.

I am dissapointed they chose such an Iconic game for their hybrid game.

Time will tell.

Edited by starman