2 Hour Game?

By patox, in Star Wars: Armada

The game is called Armada. And the average playtime is 2 hours. I'm guessing the box set does not constitute a 2-hour game.

An Armada is a pretty big fleet. Do we think a 2-hour game constitutes 5 capital ships? 10 capital ships? 20?

Yeah, that is my worry. An armada is going to take how much money to construct? At $100 per starter we are looking at pricey armadas and the only reason I am saying no. Which is sad.

My guess is that a "standard" game will be 1 star destroyer with 3-4 smaller ships vs 5-6 small rebel ships.

With around 10 fighter stands a side.

Well to give you an idea the corvette is 44 points by itself and the victory class destroyer is I think 85. So the question is how many points do each side bring? 200, 300, 500? Once we know that we can guess but I'm guessing somewhere between 300 and 500 so that both sides have a fleet. Although the rules do state that this game lasts at max 6 rounds.

Though at the start maybe just 100 point matches as after looking at what I think are the fighter cards they only have single digit costs which might support that idea.

Edited by Animewarsdude

Ever play.., Risk... monopoly.. those take hours to play as well...

Ever play.., Risk... monopoly.. those take hours to play as well...

But you don't have to play 9 games of monopoly at a regional tournament.....(idk maybe somebody does, not going to google it)

I highly doubt this will be a tourney game..

This is a beer and pretzels home table game...

I'll be VERY surprised if it becomes something they do tourneys with.

Edited by oneway

I don't like the idea of being limited to 6 turns....

Wasn't X-Wing supposed to be a beer and pretzels game (and arguably still is)?

X-wing is a beer and pretzels game, this looks to be much too big and complex for that.

X-wing is a beer and pretzels game, this looks to be much too big and complex for that.

We can hope :)

Wasn't X-Wing supposed to be a beer and pretzels game (and arguably still is)?

And ot still is.. but this game doesn't feel like a tourney game to me.. I could be wrong.. but honestly, the game can be contained in its box and mostlikely will be.. I know we lug our Xwing around.. but this too.. naaaa.. I'll eat a jalapeno if I'm wrong.. and I hate those nasty little peppers...

They DIDNT make the SD in the set an Imperial I class. That alone tells me that there are going to be expansions to the game.

So, I fully expect a release pattern similar to x-wing, with a core game and periodic expansions. Though possibly not coming out as quickly and probably being a bit more expensive since the ships are bigger and there is more complex plastic components.

As for tournaments, that is really kinda up to the players to decide. If stores start organizing tourneys and people go, then I bet FFG will pick it up and offer prize support and championships. If no one shows up, they won't.

The FFG prices listed are always inflated. But anyway, the starter is expensive because it comes with quite a lot of stuff. I think future expansion packs will be 10-25 bucks like they are for x-wing. Say $25 per cap ship and $10 per snub-fighter trio.

This game will be more expensive to get started in than x-wing, but I don't think there's any reason to suppose that the expansions are going to cost more.

Yeah, that is my worry. An armada is going to take how much money to construct? At $100 per starter we are looking at pricey armadas and the only reason I am saying no. Which is sad.

As for tournaments, that is really kinda up to the players to decide. If stores start organizing tourneys and people go, then I bet FFG will pick it up and offer prize support and championships. If no one shows up, they won't.

This is really the correct answer. At Worlds 2013 I asked an FFG (X-Wing) Employee if they were going to start running more Escalation tournaments and their reply was "if players want it." FFG wants us to play the game, have fun, and keep buying the items in their product line. If hosting a tournament circuit encourages this, then it will happen.

The FFG prices listed are always inflated. But anyway, the starter is expensive because it comes with quite a lot of stuff. I think future expansion packs will be 10-25 bucks like they are for x-wing. Say $25 per cap ship and $10 per snub-fighter trio.

The SD in the picture looks to be about the same size as the decimator in x-wing is going to be, and these ships look to need a lot more...stuff... than x-wing ships do, so I am assuming $30-$40 for a "typical", medium size ship for this game.

I do like the idea someone had that each ship would come with a squadron or two of fighters as well. Not entirely sure WHY I like the idea so much, but I do.

I hope you don't have to buy the squads separate.

Hopefully they include them in the expansionof the larger ships

Let's see. standard 40k games are ~ 2hrs, are 5-7 turns, have a flourishing tournament scene, and have a much larger buy in that this appears to have.

The playtime combined with the objective cards doesn't really seem like a good streamlined tournament game.

If Armada is made in to a Tournament game it will either have to be played over multiple days, A Player Limit cap or Play Pod's like MtG Draft, or again a timed format like X-wing and maybe specific rules unlike the "Random" Objective Cards as will most likely be used for "Casual" play.

Edited by KovuTalli

If that was the limiting factor, there'd be no 1500 point Warhammer tournaments. Scale and complexity has to reach some pretty crazy levels before it becomes unviable for tournaments.

I hope you don't have to buy the squads separate.

Hopefully they include them in the expansionof the larger ships

The downside of that, of course, is that if you want a squadron of Y-wings you're going to have to buy the $35/$40 ship they come with. Even if you only want the Y-wings.

I didn't say this wasn't a viable tournament game, I said it wasn't a beer and pretzels game.

Ah, apologies. Yes, it does seem to move beyond X-wing in terms of complexity from what we've seen so far.

I do like the idea someone had that each ship would come with a squadron or two of fighters as well. Not entirely sure WHY I like the idea so much, but I do.

Yes, quite interesting.

And thus I would assume that the Fighter squadrons are priced in with the cost of a given capital ship... ???

For example, if you field a VSD, you also get 2 Tie-Fighter stands (squadrons?) with the cost of the ship (which is what, 88pts?) and can also spend additional points to upgrade the Ties to Interceptors, Bombers, etc.

Thoughts?

Yes, quite interesting.

And thus I would assume that the Fighter squadrons are priced in with the cost of a given capital ship... ???

For example, if you field a VSD, you also get 2 Tie-Fighter stands (squadrons?) with the cost of the ship (which is what, 88pts?) and can also spend additional points to upgrade the Ties to Interceptors, Bombers, etc.

Thoughts?

The fighter cards seem to have a point cost of their own, which makes me doubt that.