Maharadjah differences?

By silenceindigo, in Britannia

Hello,

I'm an owner of a game called Maharadjah which is quite similar to Britannia at first glance... How much is the game different from it?

Would anyone know where I could find such information? Such as reviews?

Thanks!

Here's the BoardGameGeek.com link for Britannia. You should find a review there, and you should get some good answers for your questions about differences there, too!

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/240

Thanks! So the resemblence is not just a coincidence affer all... 8)

Thanks! According to BGG, Maharaja is the poor cousin of Britannia. Played Maharaja once, found it too **** complicated, and changing factions every 10 minutes was a nightmare. Never opened it again... 8(

I have Maharajah, its the same basic mechanism/ruleset. It plays fine until you realise there is a near-fatal flaw for one of the colours - once thats known by some or all of the players, then that player has little chance of winning as people will be able to take them out of the game somewhat casually.

myrm said:

I have Maharajah, its the same basic mechanism/ruleset. It plays fine until you realise there is a near-fatal flaw for one of the colours - once thats known by some or all of the players, then that player has little chance of winning as people will be able to take them out of the game somewhat casually.

Ugh, that's some bad game design. Hopefully that's an oversight and not intentional.

Well the situation is not something that could be there by mistake....missing the implications might be a mistake though.

However, as far as I know, Maharajah is now pretty long out of print (this is where I find out there's a new version out). Any re-imagining of Britannia in India would have to correct/limit the vulnerability for that colour or I wouldnt buy it. I do wonder how many of the Britannia mechanism clones FFG have or could get rights to and produce new versions of - or even new variants (hey if it works for '10 Days in....' go for it). New geography could add to the line and would be IMHO a much better way to go than expansions to the base game.

Maharadjah (which I did not lay eyes on until 2005) is for the most part a slavish copy of Brit adapted to India, down to the same number of nations and areas on the board; but it does include the European nations which act quite differently from anything in Brit. The other published Brit-like games all differ more from Brit than Mah. does. Unfortunately the designer died during the development process, and the game is much better for three players, requires some modifications for four.

Lew Pulsipher (Brit designer)

Hmm, hadn't considered how 3 player might run compared to 4......thank, i'll go look at that

I found that the rules for submitting in Maharaja were flawed, making some very "gamey" moves possible.