Psychic Daemon Princes

By Dan_of_Hats, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Having just picked up Tome of Decay (interesting read, could have done with fewer abstractions in the section about running Black Crusades, but that's a personal niggle), I was keen to see the rules for crossing that threshold to Daemon Princedom, and for the most part I was quite happy with what it offered, even if the options seemed a little light for each of the different gods.

Now, being a real big fan of Tzeentch and psychic hijinks, I was very keen to see what sort of toys would be at my disposal should I ever get a character to such a point, but I've hit a bit of a snag concerning the nature of several Gifts (and indeed the Mark of Tzeentch itself) and the fact that psychic Daemon Princes are supposed to count as Daemonic for the purposes of determining psychic strength. While it states that whatever their previous archetype, they count as Daemonic for such tests upon becoming a Daemon Prince, it doesn't give a firm answer as to whether that also counts towards things like Warpsmith, which allow the character to use powers as though they were Bound. It certainly gives you options to pick them up as Daemonic Gifts, and the Mark of Tzeentch does the same thing, which is pretty much essential to getting into the club in the first place.

So does a Tzeentchian Daemon Prince count as Daemonic when using their powers, or Bound? On the one hand you might be getting less bang for your buck when it comes to the Push, and you'll not be immune to Psychic Phenomena, but given the wealth of psychic talents and benefits you can gain for rerolls and such, it's really a minor issue at best. Being Daemonic means they lose the ability to cast at the Fettered level, and while they have little worry for casting at Unfettered, Pushing becomes a real gamble, since it's a +10 for each level you seek to gain (up to 4 times, for a total of +40). Considering a 75+ is Perils territory which they aren't immune from, the Bound character actually has the better deal overall, in my opinion at least. Taking away the advantages of being Bound upon becoming a Tzeentchian badass Daemon Prince seems a little counter-intuitive to me, but I can see the logic on the other side of the argument as well.

Thoughts?

Daemon Princes don't count as Daemonic? That seems like a pretty major oversight. Wish I could comment more, but I haven't see the actual rules.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to the Daemonic trait or not (which I'm pretty sure they do have); I'm specifically referring to the levels of Psyker class, which is Bound, Unbound and Daemonic. The Daemonic trait doesn't actually have a bearing on what they are capable of as psykers, while the Daemonic Psyker class differs greatly from that of Bound, as described above. Kindly forgive any confusion upon the matter, should have noticed that the term "Daemonic" covers a lot of ground in this game.

Edited by Dan_of_Hats

I'm not sure whether you're referring to the Daemonic trait or not (which I'm pretty sure they do have); I'm specifically referring to the levels of Psyker class, which is Bound, Unbound and Daemonic. The Daemonic trait doesn't actually have a bearing on what they are capable of as psykers, while the Daemonic Psyker class differs greatly from that of Bound, as described above. Kindly forgive any confusion upon the matter, should have noticed that the term "Daemonic" covers a lot of ground in this game.

If you have the Daemonic Trait, you should be immune to your own Phenomena/Perils, unless this is specifically countermanded by rules regarding Daemon Princes, which would just be ridiculous.

"A Daemon Prince with the Psy Rating Talent uses Psychic Powers as a Daemonic psyker, regardless of his Archetype."

Tome of Decay, page 65.

BYE

Per Psychic Strength table in OW (and i think this was same in BC)

"The psyker is not affected by the result, unless the result causes Perils of the Warp, though those around him may be."

In Unfettered, Pushed & Sustainin Powers.

So Daemonic Psykers are not immune to their or others Perils of the Warp effects.

I'm aware of the rule in question H.B.M.C, but that specifically covers archetypes (such as being a Sorcerer, or a Psyker); neither Warpsmith nor Mark of Tzeentch are archetypes, they're Rewards of Tzeentch, and thus not an archetype. My question is, does that mean that a Tzeentchian Daemon Prince runs their powers as Bound, as the aforementioned abilities would indicate, or would they be Daemonic, as the rules seems to be trying to push for but doesn't cover such an eventuality.

Its not an archetype, so RAW would suggest they're still Bound.