Impact with Relentless: e.g. Grom the Paunch

By ravenwolf64, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Gurus,

I was told that somewhere in the forum it was stated that Grom the Paunch can Impact a target for 3, then, with Relentless, flip and pin the same target again for another 3. I have searched and can't find the argument. It was my understanding that to impact you had to pin, and rules say "A disc cannot deal impact damage to a disk it was already pinning prior to flipping." Can someone confirm that he cannot damage the same target twice or explain how he can?

Side note: I assumed that Grom can impact a target, deal a wound that removes it, and then, with relentless, flip to impact a disk that was directly beneath the removed target because Grom was overlapping the second target not pinning it before the flip. Is this correct or does Grom immediately drop to the second target when the top target is removed thereby pinning it before it can continue flip with relentless?

Thank you for your time and efforts :)

Gurus,

I was told that somewhere in the forum it was stated that Grom the Paunch can Impact a target for 3, then, with Relentless, flip and pin the same target again for another 3. I have searched and can't find the argument. It was my understanding that to impact you had to pin, and rules say "A disc cannot deal impact damage to a disk it was already pinning prior to flipping." Can someone confirm that he cannot damage the same target twice or explain how he can?

Side note: I assumed that Grom can impact a target, deal a wound that removes it, and then, with relentless, flip to impact a disk that was directly beneath the removed target because Grom was overlapping the second target not pinning it before the flip. Is this correct or does Grom immediately drop to the second target when the top target is removed thereby pinning it before it can continue flip with relentless?

Unfortunately for Grom lovers, he cannot double Impact a unit. As fat as Grom is, he can't go for seconds :D .

He's already really strong...give him Eager Troops and the ability to 2x Impact and I can't imagine a universe in which that is balanced lol.

I do believe he can do the second tactic though. If he is Disc A in a top-down resolution of Disks A, B, and C, he does not pin C until after he removes B (because B is pinning C in such a way that A is not). He will not deal damage to disk C if he can't first destroy disk B.

I think this is what the rules mean when they say that a disk can overlap a disk, but not necessarily pin it.

Edited by reddawn

Grom (and any unit with relentless) actually can impact the same unit twice, but he has to move off of the unit in between impacts due to the rule that another flip onto a unit which you are already pinning does not constitute a new pin. So you have to do it like this:

1. Impact the unit with an initial pin.

2. Relentless allows you to continue flipping after your first pin, so...

3. Flip again to move off of pinned unit.

4. Flip back on a second time for a second impact.

You cannot move after that second impact, however, as you have pinned a second time.

On a side note, Grom can also impact a unit, flip over the top, and continue into the seond line to impact archers, etc. that are hiding in the back.

As to your second question, if Grom killed a unit and then ended up on top of a unit beneath, he would not deal impact damage to the second unit, as this was not a flip. According to the rulebook, it would be considered a pin when the previous unit was removed and he contacted the second unit (page 18). Therefore, according to the letter of the law on relentless and impact (page 21), Grom would not deal impact damage to the second target, but would be pinning it, so he would have to stop moving. Of course, this is my interpretation, and I could see others arguing against it, and I could also see this being FAQ'ed at some point to resolve such a situation.

Good questions, I just hope I have the right answer for the second one!

Gurus,

Unfortunately for Grom lovers, he cannot double Impact a unit. As fat as Grom is, he can't go for seconds :D .

He's already really strong...give him Eager Troops and the ability to 2x Impact and I can't imagine a universe in which that is balanced lol.

I do believe he can do the second tactic though. If he is Disc A in a top-down resolution of Disks A, B, and C, he does not pin C until after he removes B (because B is pinning C in such a way that A is not). He will not deal damage to disk C if he can't first destroy disk B.

I think this is what the rules mean when they say that a disk can overlap a disk, but not necessarily pin it.

It isn't as unbalanced as it seems. It is actually pretty hard in my experience to deliver many impacts with him as the enemy tends to give him a wide berth, and once he does pin they just pile on as his counter strength is so poor. Plus, you have to be really close when you start moving in order to pull off a double immpact due to the intermediary flip off of the unit. In all, I seldom get a chance to see it happen, but it is glorious when it does!