Really looking forward to this!

By Dronevil, in XCOM: The Board Game

Wow, this was a bolt out of the blue. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

I know there have been a few X-Com games in recent years, but this is nostalgic for me. I remember friends introducing me to the video game X-Com: Terror from the Deep back in the late 90's. Fun game. Too bad I never owned my own copy or I might have played it more.

I like how FFG has found a way to merge the physical and digital worlds. I look forward to seeing it in action. Maybe they'll showcase it at Gencon 2014.

I'm not sure if any other board games have done this before (I haven't heard of any, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried something similar before). In any case, I look forward to seeing other board games in the future that incorporate this kind of innovative thinking.

This looks REALLY cool! Day 1 buy for me.

XCOM board game?!?! Somebody hurry up and take my money!!!!

Wow, this was a bolt out of the blue. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I so want this!!!!

I agree. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY FFG!

Honest

Lot of folks are being quite down on the need to have an app... but arguing that it's the worst thing ever before anyone's even tried it out seems a bit negative. Judgement reserved, but overall I'll stick with my original thread title... "Really looking forward to this!"

I should just arrange for half my paycheck to be sent directly to FFG.

One XCOM: The Board Game box inside your storehouse should consider itself bought.

Edited by Shirys

Lot of folks are being quite down on the need to have an app... but arguing that it's the worst thing ever before anyone's even tried it out seems a bit negative.

Haters gonna hate, as the saying goes.

I can understand the concerns that most people have about the app, but personally I'm not put off by it. Innovation can never occur if designers aren't willing to try new things, after all. Either the game will sell well enough to justify the experiment, or it won't.

Besides which, I'm of the opinion that this particular type of technological integration is not as newfangled and farfetched as some would like to believe. Making the app "required" is new, but board games that use companion apps (or have fan-made companion apps) are not unheard of.

I recently bought One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which also has a companion app. While not technically required for play, it is so well done and makes the game so much easier that I'd have a hard time living without it now. =P (I don't have to remember the role sequences myself, it explains what each role can do in case a newbie forgets, etc.)

Edited by Steve-O

I love the vid game - so am looking forward tyo this.

I am piqued by the app concept, and logic dictates if succesful upgrades to the app may be a quicker way to get new scenarios and add-ons to the game without further print productions.

do we have a release date beyond Q4?

Not yet. I guess we'll get that in a couple of months?

with it being shown at Gencon they might give a date then

I am looking forward to this too, and I am bemused by all the negative reaction regarding the companion app. Anyone without internet access or a device to download it to has probably never heard of XCOM anyway, so they are not likely to have any interest in the game to start with. As for the app not working some indeterminate number of years down the line due to OS changes or FFG losing the license, so what? I spend more money each month on petrol than this game will cost, so in the big scheme of things it's hardly a financial disaster for a game to be unplayable several years after you bought it. I would also not be at all surprised if someone (maybe even FFG) comes up with a set of random tables or cards to emulate the app once the game is out (EDIT: In fact this would be very easy for FFG to do as any app is fundamentally just a computer implementation of a paper and pencil flow chart).

Edited by SmokeGunner