WOWIDONTBELIVEITGREAT....umm...wait up...

By Paladin_fin, in XCOM: The Board Game

My first reaction to seing this : WOW! YES! MUSTBUY!

I love the new Xcom Computer game, and like many other I have been longing for a boardgame adaptation. Then I see that FFG is doing one. FFG. Of all companies! YES! That to me automatically means it's gonna be beutiful looking and probably technically very well done.

Who's the designer? Eric m. Lang?! The guy behind Chaos in the Old World! i LOVE CitoW! That is one of my all time favorites in the history of ever. If he's making it, then how could things get any better!? That guys knows his s**t!

But then, the fine print rears it's ugly head.

A free APP that..? umm.... wait what? Did I read that right?

Surely it's just an optional thing that help with.... hmm.. nope. Looks pretty integral and... non-optional? Really??

Ok, so there's an APP that runs the game instead of in-game mechanincs and that is so it can be played in real-time.

Aha. Real-time. Now i see.

Should have known it was too good to be true. =(

I can play real-time games that require an working phone/tablet with my friends all the time. I like that in computer games. In my boardgames, not so much. I really want to be able to sit down and talk to my fellow players, discuss, joke and strategize, with the only time limit is the time set aside for the game in total. I don't want to be dependent of battery-power or working internet connections. This is what we play boardgames to get away from.

I still have no doubt this game will be beutiful and well designed, I just know that it is not a game designed for me.

And as an extra wind-out-of-sail-taker, I can now also rest pretty safe in knowing that my favourite game company will never be making a "classic-approach" boardgame to cover this franchise, and that Firaxis & 2K is probably not going to let anybody else do it either.

Double ****.

SO CLOSE!

...please... can you make an optional downloadable rule-set for having a GM run the aliens or something? Maybe as an expansion? ... pretty please...?

I am definitely looking foward to this, but would like it if the app was optional too. Sometimes phones/tablets are dead and I'd hate to be unable to play if my phone or whatnot wasn't working.

Even the video game is completely turn-based. I'm fine with the app being required - I don't have a smartphone but it sounds like a laptop will work, but am not a fan of most "real-time" board games. I hope the game does not need to be played that way.

There is a problem with the app though - limited life of the game. will this game still be playable in 20 years (or maybe just 10 or 5) when operating systems have changed, and FFG quite probably doesn't have licensing rights with 2K any more?

There is a problem with the app though - limited life of the game. will this game still be playable in 20 years (or maybe just 10 or 5) when operating systems have changed, and FFG quite probably doesn't have licensing rights with 2K any more?

I was just talking with a friend about this and we were in agreement about this. I want my games to be playable 10 years from now.

All of the ABOVE. Interesting though & I'll wait for additional

information of how the app works.

Edited by Old Dwarf

I agree with the disappointment in having a required app, I will not be purchasing this game. But I am not too upset since it appears to be missing the best part of Xcom, the soldier exploration/extermination phase. I was expecting something akin to Doom, Descent or old Mutant Chronicles,.

I agree with the disappointment in having a required app, I will not be purchasing this game. But I am not too upset since it appears to be missing the best part of Xcom, the soldier exploration/extermination phase. I was expecting something akin to Doom, Descent or old Mutant Chronicles,.

Yeah. that is certainly my favourite part of the video game, although the game would be too lengthy to try to combine both aspects, unless you turned into a longer campaign-type game.

To be honest, the idea of the game mechanic relying on the app to work really killed my buzz too. Essentially I went from "Woah. an X-Com boardgame! That's gotta be the best thing I have heard about in at least a fortnight!" to... "Oh wait; I can't play this game out of the box and will absolutely need my phone available with a decent amount of charge. Yeah that seems really restrictive. I'm not sure I like the idea of that. I mean; it could be a lot of fun but surely this would be better as an optional rule rather than a mandatory thing."

Shame man, real shame. Maybe FFG will read this, and a few other threads like this and maybe make some developmental changes in the rules. Of course this is dependent on how far they have gone in the development process of the game.

Edited by vandimar77

I'm sure the industrious users of BGG will have a non-app variant even if FFG doesn't officially support it.

I'm sure the industrious users of BGG will have a non-app variant even if FFG doesn't officially support it.

XCOM: Create-your-own-version-edition, buy now. :lol:

Guess it's a wait and see thing, if it really offers a lot of new possibilities that can't be done elegantly through normal rules... who knows right? Should be doable if you're inviting people over to your place, less so if it's a limited battery thing.

Edited by Gridash

Naturally, this app move would get a lot of backlash but I'm still very excited about it, even if it doesn't have a 20 year life span. I don't play that many games from 1994 anyway :P

Its cute that some of you are pretending that 90% of people don't have a smart phone/tablet/laptop always available.

What's with this "oh my god, my phone has to have a charge!?" stuff? Like, is that something that's actually happening? Its not like boardgames don't require tons of tablespace, and people to play with. Games like Escape, Space Alert, or Zombie 15 all require something to play a soundtrack on. What about games that require a separate pencil/paper for scoring?

Hell, we can go back to Trivial Pursuit using dvds.

This isn't really new, and its not even remotely a barrier to entry anymore.

Agree with everyone above. I literally dropped my jaw (seriously, i did) when I read about an xcom boardgame by FFG. One of my favourite computer games of all time is the original Ufo: enemy unknown (as it was called in Sweden). Then.. I read about the app. Although I still look forward to this game, and although we really dont know much about the game itself, my jaw became less "dropped". Waiting for more info though before I decide to buy/not buy.

Who am I kidding.. I will buy this game anyway..

Edited by Primarch_Guilliman

@ Inksplat: I guess this deserves an answer. The point is that the game, as it stands, is incomplete. It requires the purchase of an a tablet, smart phone or laptop to be played. Likely more than 90% of the potential buyers have access to all of this in some form or another. I personally do have a smartphone. However; it's a fairly old model Sony Xperia. I use it for phoning, texting and a bit of internet access. It is a relatively small screened device and I don't think it's the best type of electronic item to use for the purpose of presenting infomation to a group. I do own a laptop which I am currently typing this on. I don't want to be carting my laptop down to the pub where I play boardgames every Monday. An ipad would be nice to use for this game. I don't have one, nor the desire to own one.

Now this means that as it stands, for me to get best use of this game, I have to purchase another electronic peripheral. One that I would have no other reason for buying. I am fully aware that many other people are more tech savvy than me; and would not have a problem with this as they would probably already own such an item. But for me, it is a problem.

Edited by vandimar77

Honestly, I'm sure FFG was well aware that they would be alienating a certain percentage of their potential sales when they were deciding to use an app. They went ahead with it anyways, potentially because some people might pay attention to this game when they wouldn't have previously because of the app being a cool, new gimmick.

If you don't have what is required to play the game and you're unwilling to do unofficial variants then it's probably best to move on. C'est la vie

@ Inksplat: I guess this deserves an answer. The point is that the game, as it stands, is incomplete. It requires the purchase of an a tablet, smart phone or laptop to be played. Likely more than 90% of the potential buyers have access to all of this in some form or another. I personally do have a smartphone. However; t's a fairly old model Sony Xperia. I use it for phoning, texting and a bit of internet access. It is a relatively small screened device and I don't think it's the best type of electronic item to use for the purpose of presenting infomation to a group. I do own a laptop which I am currently typing this on. I don't want to be carting my laptop down to the pub where I play boardgames every Monday. An ipad would be nice to use for this game. I don't have one, nor the desire to own one.

Now this means that as it stands, for me to get best use of this game, I have to purchase another electronic peripheral. One that I would have no other reason for buying. I am fully aware that many other people are more tech savvy than me; and would not have a problem with this as they would probably already own such an item. But for me, it is a problem.

That is seriously like arguing that Arkham Horror is incomplete if you don't own a big enough table, or that Game of Thrones is incomplete if you don't have the full amount of players--certain games have certain requirements. That doesn't make them incomplete.

I want board games to try new things and merge with technology. There is absolutely zero reason to shun a new design concept simply because not everyone has access to it.

Why do board games have to restrict themselves? Why are you entitled to ruining the possible advances and fun for other people simply because you don't want the technology required?

@ Inksplat: Um. How am I ruining the experience for you. Seriously? Just because I choose not to buy it if it does require the app to play, how does that effect whether you can enjoy it. I really can't fathom it.

@ Inksplat: I guess this deserves an answer. The point is that the game, as it stands, is incomplete. It requires the purchase of an a tablet, smart phone or laptop to be played. Likely more than 90% of the potential buyers have access to all of this in some form or another. I personally do have a smartphone. However; t's a fairly old model Sony Xperia. I use it for phoning, texting and a bit of internet access. It is a relatively small screened device and I don't think it's the best type of electronic item to use for the purpose of presenting infomation to a group. I do own a laptop which I am currently typing this on. I don't want to be carting my laptop down to the pub where I play boardgames every Monday. An ipad would be nice to use for this game. I don't have one, nor the desire to own one.

That is seriously like arguing that Arkham Horror is incomplete if you don't own a big enough table, or that Game of Thrones is incomplete if you don't have the full amount of players--certain games have certain requirements. That doesn't make them incomplete.

It's nothing like saying those titles are incomplete. They ship with everything the seller can put in it. FFG can't put tables and people in the box. Those requirements you mentioned are elements in the players control. FFG has no say in if you get a big table or if you have enough people to play, the app however is a requirement to play the game, does not come in the box, and the players can do nothing to alter that. All of that said, I really don't mind the app.

Edited by power500500

For me it's like a new bicycle design - now with an electric motor inside to enhance your experience!

I missed the part about the "real time" - :( :(

I want board games to try new things and merge with technology. There is absolutely zero reason to shun a new design concept simply because not everyone has access to it.

Wrong. First rule of marketing: the wider the audience, the more copies you sell.

Additionally, the world of boardgames is already moving to app: from Ticket to Ride to Elder Sign to Lords of Waterdeep, everything's becoming available for smarphones and so on. So, technically, the only "news" here is the merging of tabletop and app.

I think the actual design will make more people unhappy than happy: those who are die hard of the original game, which had options to pause and think; those who do not like technology entering the tabletop world because they like playing with the proper timing; and so on.

I strongly believe an app could be fun, but it has to be optional: allowing the thrill to those who want the app, and allowing the normal tabletop experience to the others.

As for myself, even if I love most of Eric's game, I'll certainly pass on this one. With sad heart, because the VG was a blast.

@ Inksplat: Um. How am I ruining the experience for you. Seriously? Just because I choose not to buy it if it does require the app to play, how does that effect whether you can enjoy it. I really can't fathom it.

It has nothing to do with you not buying it, but you and others complaining that the app shouldn't be mandatory--you're demanding they change the design because you don't have the technology.

It's nothing like saying those titles are incomplete. They ship with everything the seller can put in it. FFG can't put tables and people in the box. Those requirements you mentioned are elements in the players control. FFG has no say in if you get a big table or if you have enough people to play, the app however is a requirement to play the game, does not come in the box, and the players can do nothing to alter that. All of that said, I really don't mind the app.

Um.. the app is in the player's control. How is not having a device capable of using the app any different than not having a huge table for Arkham Horror + expansions? In fact, I know less people who own a table big enough to play Arkham than I do without smartphones.

No, sir, the requirement of owning the app to play the game is not in the player's control. It is a "requirement". The table, the players, are in our control. The choice of owning this app to play the game is 100% not.

My tears of joy at finding out that FFG were doing an Xcom game turned to tears of sadness on realising there was a required real time app.

If I wanted to sit with a screen launching real-time ufo's to take over the world... why wouldn't I just play the xcom computer game instead?

I like to play board games on my tablet (elder sign or ticket to ride) and I like optional companion apps (arkham horror or dice rollers) but I don't like the idea of a required app.

I'm building up my board game collection for when my children are old enough to start gaming, as well as for me to play now, whether this game will be playable 10-15 years in the future is a consideration when I purchase it. Will this game still be playable if FFG lose the licence or go into administration?

No, sir, the requirement of owning the app to play the game is not in the player's control. It is a "requirement". The table, the players, are in our control. The choice of owning this app to play the game is 100% not.

The requirement to play certain PC games is to have a top end PC. The requirement to use certain apps is a new enough iPhone/iPad. How is that any different?

You're basically arguing that everything should always be 100% backwards compatible, and that is a terrible idea because it limits progress. Board games need to evolve just like every other medium.