2014 Canadian SWX National, October 25th, Hamilton ON

By R5Don4, in X-Wing Organized Play

Venue: Royal Canadian Legion 1180 Barton St. E. Hamilton ON
Start Time: 8:30 am registration, 9:30 am first round begins
Tournament Format 100 pts
Entry Fee $30.00 CAD
Round Time Swiss 60 Min/ Top 8 70 Min
Head Judge: Josh Derksen
5 Swiss Preliminary Rounds followed by Final 8 Top Cut.

Registration Free for Top 16 from Store Wars Circuit Events and the 5 Canadian Regional winners.

The Store Wars group of games stores has the honour of hosting the 2014 Canadian X-Wing Nationals Tournament this year. There are only 64 spots at Nationals, so be sure to sign up today! (Organizers have advised if the event sells out through paid pre-registration, more seats will become available to accommodate all interested in attending).

Limited Edition Nationals Game Mats:

STAR WARS MAT: There will be a limited number of Special Edition X-Wing Nationals mats available for participants to commemorate the event. These mats can be purchased by registered players before and during the event, while quantities last.

PRE-REGISTER for this event online on the Store Wars website http://storewars.ca/x-wing-nationals-event/ (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Paypal, and online Bank Transfer accepted).

Pre-registered entrants for the X-Wing Nationals event by August 15th, 11:59pm, will be able to pre-order one of the Nationals Maple Leaf Nebula mats for only $15.00 CAN, and you will be guaranteed one!

If you pre-register for the X-Wing Nationals event by October 17th, 11:59pm, you will be able to pre-order one of the mats for only $25.00 CAN, however quantities will be limited so it will be first come first serve.

Each participant may pre-order up to one additional mat for $45 while supplies last.

Game Size: 100pts, force composition must follow the standard FFG Rules.

Store Wars & Regional Qualifiers:

The Five Canadian Regional Qualifiers winners (Grish Kalshikov, Greg Jackson, Glen Nielson, Rick Sidebotham, and Chris Allen) will have reserved spots, and the sixteen qualifiers from the Store Wars Circuit will have reserved spots that include a FREE game mat! Regional Qualifiers wishing to have a mat may get one at the $15 price (please contact Jay Mason-Grant at Black Knight Games by phone 905-296-3401 to arrange it)

REGISTER NOW!

Prizes include Nationals Prize kit and becoming the Canadian Champion!
As per FFG National Prize kit includes
Chewbacca movie still cards for all participants
16 packs of 10 target lock tokens [TOP 16]
8 acrylic range rulers [TOP 8]
4 sets of acrylic maneuver templates [TOP 4]
2 backpacks [TOP 2]
1 trophy [CHAMPION]

Refund policy for pre-registered players that win a free spot through the Store Wars Circuit is 100%.
Edited by R5Don4

Here are images of the original vinyl mats created for this event, that you may purchase the top one on a first come first served basis. The second one can only be won through the qualifying tournament circuit local to Southern Ontario.

CanadianNationalMat_zps0b92efd0.jpg

StoreWarsMats_zpsa22b06e6.jpg

Edited by R5Don4

Note - you can only purchase the top one. The Yellow one is for the Top 16 from the store wars qualifier only.

Thanks for pointing that out man, I have edited the above post. Can we expect to see you and your MI crew in October Khyros?

Bump!

Thanks for pointing that out man, I have edited the above post. Can we expect to see you and your MI crew in October Khyros?

I'm heading up, or at least that's the plan for now. I know a couple of guys from the area are coming, but I'm unsure about the heavy hitters.

Countdown is on with little over a month to go before this event the final X-Wing National Championship before Worlds in November at FFG HQ. We currently have 41 players registered for the event and attendance is currently capped at 64 but will expand to meet interest provided our current 64 maxes out. Only 5 of the Maple Leaf Nebula mats are as of yet unclaimed, first come, first served.

Tick tock indeed.

Well Richard Hsu is coming in from Memphis and is bunking at Chez Nader, not sure about Darth Malus and others from the NoVA crew.

This is gonna be great, especially if Wave V hits in time!

Countdown is on with little over a month to go before this event the final X-Wing National Championship before Worlds in November at FFG HQ. We currently have 41 players registered for the event and attendance is currently capped at 64 but will expand to meet interest provided our current 64 maxes out. Only 5 of the Maple Leaf Nebula mats are as of yet unclaimed, first come, first served.

Hey R4 if wave 5 is released is it legal? Thought I saw somewhere that its only wave 4 and older but might be wrong.

I'm registered and will be there unless something drastic (I.e. Real life) gets in the way!

Updated some info. Start time, round format and National Prize kit contents.

The yellow is soooo awesome!

Looking at the revised format no top 8 playoff and what happened to the other 48 packs of TL's? Originally the the thread had indicated 64, now only for the top 16? Just curious.

Looking at the revised format no top 8 playoff and what happened to the other 48 packs of TL's? Originally the the thread had indicated 64, now only for the top 16? Just curious.

I hear ya on that... For the regional events, they wanted 33-64 players to run 6 rounds plus cut to top 8. As for the TL disappearing, my guess is that they were going off of the US prize support, which was sized for 256 players, instead of the 64 that the Canadian's is sized for. The US nationals also had top 8 getting maneuver templates (though I don't recall seeing any range rulers), so obviously the Canadian prize support is scaled back, as it should be... Gotta earn all that stuff!

The scaled back prize kit makes sense given the suggested field size from FFG. On cutting to the top 4 after swiss, not a fan, as this is a " National " event after all.

I originally thought the National kit would provide the same quantities as the US National. I started noticing different reports from other Nationals around the world with much less prize support, so I emailed FFG OP directly and asked what would be in our kit. The quantities reflect what I've been told.

As for the round structure, I was pushing very hard for a second day, but the money guys behind the scenes renting the hall said they would only consider an additional day if we maxed out the 64 preregistration, which we have failed to do, thus a single day event. If it would have gone a second day, it would have been a top 16 cut. All rounds of play for this event must be held in a neutral location, due to background politics I can only assume and I am not privy to, thus removing the possibility of holding the second day at an associated LGS. The organizers also wanted to stay with the 75 minute round time, to allow the Tie Swarm and other slow burn builds as a viable option for play as they really suffer in a truncated round format. As a positive this also simplifies travel for the many players coming from out of town.

5 rounds and top 4 with breaks and registration, clock in at just over 12 hours, which is why I think the organizers went with a top 4 over 8. 5 rounds and top 8 we're going home at midnight. 6 rounds and top 8 we'd be playing until 2 in the morning like we saw at many Regionals and the Gencon Nationals, which can be extremely anti-climactic. With the shortened time table, perhaps players will be able to stick around and watch the finals rather than taking off after the Swiss.

Without a doubt 5 rounds with that many players is a very unforgiving format, to be sure as is a top 4 cut. The tournament will be won by who has had the hottest dice and best match ups all day. One bad game will send you packing.

Edited by R5Don4

Hey R4 if wave 5 is released is it legal? Thought I saw somewhere that its only wave 4 and older but might be wrong.

As we now know, Wave 5 will not be released in time for Worlds in November, thus it will not be released in time for this, therefore only up to Rebel Aces is allowed for this event.

Ban List includes unreleased contents of Decimator and Outrider

Captain Oicunn

Commander Kenkirk

Patrol Leader

Rear Admiral Chiraneau

Dauntless Title

Ruthlessness

Intimidation

Tactical Jammer

Fleet Officer

Mara Jade

Moff Jerrjerod

Ysanne Isard

Dash Rendar (Pilot)

Dash Rendar (Crew)

Eaden Vrill

Leebo (Pilot)

Leebo (Crew)

Wild Space Fringer

Counter Measures

Experimental Interface

Lando Calrissian (Crew)

Lone Wolf

Outrider Title

Stay On Target

thanks

Thanks for the response Don and while I understand the basis for the event framework, I still struggle with a cut to top 4. A number of folks are traveling from a significant distance and if they or a local pilot have one unfortunate game where lady luck disappears to me that would be a real shame. Those four spots should IMO get their chance at the CA crown.

I would hope the organizers would consider the following points to possibly reconsider a top 8 cut after Swiss..

1. 65 min rounds this way we'd gain 50 minutes (worked very well at GenCon)

2. Limit the time interval the lunch and dinner breaks

3. Put a TL on the quarterfinal and semifinal rounds

Thoughts?

Edited by Darph Nader

So, to add the top 8 round, looks like round times will be shortening in the Swiss to 60 min and 70 min in the top cut. Still going to be a very unforgiving format. Personally I wanted to avoid the short round times to hopefully avoid a Falcon heavy(ier) turn out that has been dominating the National tournaments. We'll see how that turns out.

IMO with either 65 or 75 rounds the YT influence will be there just as much as the Phantom, the new wrinkle will obviously be Rebel Aces. However I agree with you Don that five rounds is going to be unforgiving regardless of the match time limit but by going to a top 8 at least a 4-1 can now make the playoffs despite a bad game.

The breakdown of players in a 5 round 64 player tournament with a cut to top 4 will be as follows:

5-0 = 2

4-1 = 10

3-2 = 20

2-3 = 20

1-4 = 10

0-5 = 2

So with this break down, once you lose two you are completely out of the tournament. Only two players with the highest MOV will move on out of the 4-1 bracket. Understand I am using wins and losses to define this. You can convert the list to points. This does not factor in Draws and Modified wins. This is just a base I use with the consideration of all things being equal and perfect.

With 6 rounds you have the breakdown of:

6-0 = 1

5-1 = 6

4-2 = 15

3-3 = 20

2-4 = 15

1-5 = 6

0-6 = 1

Moving to a top 8 you now have a broader field and one 2 loss player will make the cut. This makes 2 losses worth staying for.

Only going to get 5 rounds of Swiss at the most. They are going to jam the quarter final by shortening the rounds.

The breakdown of players in a 5 round 64 player tournament with a cut to top 4 will be as follows:

5-0 = 2

4-1 = 10

3-2 = 20

2-3 = 20

1-4 = 10

0-5 = 2

So with this break down, once you lose two you are completely out of the tournament. Only two players with the highest MOV will move on out of the 4-1 bracket. Understand I am using wins and losses to define this. You can convert the list to points. This does not factor in Draws and Modified wins. This is just a base I use with the consideration of all things being equal and perfect.

With 6 rounds you have the breakdown of:

6-0 = 1

5-1 = 6

4-2 = 15

3-3 = 20

2-4 = 15

1-5 = 6

0-6 = 1

Moving to a top 8 you now have a broader field and one 2 loss player will make the cut. This makes 2 losses worth staying for.

With the change being to the top 8, 5 rounds should be fine. 6 of the 10 at 4-1 will make the cut, the (non-existent) 6th round is basically a tiebreaker to determine who those 6 are instead of using the MoV built in tiebreaker.

As for reason to stay after 2 losses, you're still in the running for the Target Locks. This is something that I think Gencon did poorly, since once you accrued 2 losses, you dropped, pretty much universally. However, with prize support for top 16, 4 of the 20 3-2 players will get target locks, plenty of reason to stay and play a game you like.. they sell for >$100 on ebay!

That is not a true statement. At Gencon, depending if it was first day or second day you stayed. Day 1 5-2's made the cut. If you had 2 losses you stayed. On day 2, there were 5 rounds and players who went 2-3 made the cut.

Edited by Xwingtoman