Eldar and Tyranid Career Path Homebrew

By LodgeBlackman99, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I was reading the upgrated Necron Character Guide and while I was reading it I noted a horrible error, a really horrible one.

(pause to accumulate suspence)

The table of contencts says chapter 8 start at page 44 instead 47.

But the Old Ones created the Eldar to create Gods to use as weapon agains't the C'tan, as explained in Liber Chaotica. Another motive because the Eldar have to be resistant to mutations is simple logic: if the Eldar is a psychic race and if the psychic powers use warp stuff logicaly the psychic powers create a sort of warp radiance. Considering that the mutations represent the contact between the Immaterium and Materium, the Eldar wuold be a bunch of mutants by now if they didn't have a resistence to mutations.

Black Library books are incredibly contradictory to any codex lore half the time, so they aren't being taken into consideration as lore sources.. I'm sticking purely to stuff found in the 40k RPG line. Also, that's not really simple logic. If they're able to channel stuff that well then they're open to it, which means they're LESS resistant with logic. The reason they are resistant is because socially they devote themselves to only one task at a time and embrace only what is necessary to complete the mastery of that task, and let that devotion and drive for perfection be their shield against the influences of Slaanesh. It may sound strange, but it basically works like "You should go and kill those people and rob their stuff" says a voice in your head, but you respond with "Can't, too busy mastering the art of Hydroponic Facilities Management. And when I'm done with that, I'm learning how best to defend the Craftworld with Guardian bootcamp." It's literally the basis for how their whole society works from what I've read, and is reflected with what I've read in the Rogue Trader lore sections, thought it might have come from elsewhere. I did use some Lexicanum and 40kwikia to fill some gaps that weren't covered.

First, the mutation thest isn't only against thoughtness and, as I have writed previously, the Eldar too are resistant to changes so their biology is robust as that of the orks in this regard. Secondly, mutations are side effect of contact with the Warp not Warp corruption that is malignacies (some, at least) and Corruption points.

True enough, but my point was that the Orks are hard wired mentally to resist them, they just back it up with incredible fortitude too. And they're very much a side of warp corruption, just like Malignancies; from the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pages 299-300

A character’s Corruption Points total is also used to determine the warping effects of Chaos upon his body. As his Corruption builds, his flesh may revolt, twisted by the Dark Gods. Of course, such is the insidious nature of Chaos that it is constantly hunting for weakness in mind and body, testing a character’s defences until it can find a way into his soul. For every 30 Corruption Points a character gains, he must make a Test against two Characteristics of his choice or suffer a random Minor Mutation (see Chapter XIV: Adversaries & Aliens). He may not Test against the same Characteristics twice to resist mutation. A player should make a note on his Character Sheet of which Characteristics he has already Tested to resist mutation.

It literally is built right into it, I can't explain it better than that. It even describes exactly what I am talking about with the slow succumbing to of one's soul to Slaanesh, which the Eldar are susceptible to. You're perfectly welcome to house rule your own method, but it's coming from sources that I'm not using because the 40k novels have many liberties taken with them that do not coincide with the RPG sourcebook lore. I think the bottom line with this is we're going to have to agree to disagree.

What I meant was "hey, every race related to the Eldar is immune or very resistent to mutations. Points for me"

True, but you're using a different system of lore and history. That's like me saying "all the bad guys in Berserk had mutations, and they're totally corrupted mortals, so points to me" from my point of view. It's not really constructive to the argument.

I don't think I understand you very well. You are saying that, by accepting what created Slaanesh in first place they are able to defend against is influences? Following your reasoning the Outcasts should get a bonus too because they too are following their emotions.

I can't pretend it's not counter intuitive, but yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, and that's how it officially works. From The Soul Reaver, Pages 4-5

Provided they surrounded themselves with the most vile and decadent acts, these Eldar could abate the curse of Slaanesh, keeping them vital and strong and eluding the passage of time. So it was that the Dark Eldar were born, a race of sadistic murderers who feed upon the anguish of others in order to prevent the slow death of their immortal souls. For the ten millennia since the Fall of the Eldar, the malicious denizens of Commorragh have raided and plundered their way across the galaxy, terrorising and enslaving those they regard as lesser creatures.

The difference is that the outcasts who would normally shield themselves with the Craftworld method described above are rebelling against that, and as such are opening themselves up to the influence. It takes a titanic amount of depravity to function the way the Dark Eldar do, and most Outcasts are not willing to do so. If they are, then they're better off using the Kabalite Warrior path to accurately represent their character than an Eldar Outcast.

Anyway, in your opinion what should be the rules for losing your soulstone?

Another thing: on /tg/ I have seen that you were planning rules for wraithguard and wraithlord. News?

And how represent the fear and hatred of the Eldar for Slaanesh?

In regards to the Soulstone being lost, I'm not sure. I haven't really considered what that would do, possibly a willpower test or insanity every day it isn't reclaimed. I'm not planning to do Wraithguard or Wraithlord, because the player really wouldn't be able to keep control of their character like a Dreadnought due to their naturally lagged response time and the fact that they are only used in the direst of circumstances. Giving them Hatred (Ancestral Enemy) or something like that might work. I'll have to look at adding those in.

Update: After reading up a bit, I think I'm going to leave the Ancestral Enemy aspects as Roleplaying ones rather than mechanical bonuses.

The table of contencts says chapter 8 start at page 44 instead 47.

CURSES! THE PAGE NUMBER HATH LEFT ME UNDONE! BACK TO MY INFERNAL REALM!

(I'll have that fixed in a couple of minutes and re-uploaded).

Thanks again for the feedback!

Necron Character Guide Updated

Eldar Character Guide Updated

Edited by LodgeBlackman99

Black Library books are incredibly contradictory to any codex lore half the time, so they aren't being taken into consideration as lore sources.. I'm sticking purely to stuff found in the 40k RPG line. Also, that's not really simple logic. If they're able to channel stuff that well then they're open to it, which means they're LESS resistant with logic. The reason they are resistant is because socially they devote themselves to only one task at a time and embrace only what is necessary to complete the mastery of that task, and let that devotion and drive for perfection be their shield against the influences of Slaanesh. It may sound strange, but it basically works like "You should go and kill those people and rob their stuff" says a voice in your head, but you respond with "Can't, too busy mastering the art of Hydroponic Facilities Management. And when I'm done with that, I'm learning how best to defend the Craftworld with Guardian bootcamp." It's literally the basis for how their whole society works from what I've read, and is reflected with what I've read in the Rogue Trader lore sections, thought it might have come from elsewhere. I did use some Lexicanum and 40kwikia to fill some gaps that weren't covered.

Generaly speaking poisonus species are immunes to their poisons, first. Second, if you have a voice in your head you have Insanity, not Corruption.

True enough, but my point was that the Orks are hard wired mentally to resist them, they just back it up with incredible fortitude too. And they're very much a side of warp corruption, just like Malignancies; from the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pages 299-300

A character’s Corruption Points total is also used to determine the warping effects of Chaos upon his body. As his Corruption builds, his flesh may revolt, twisted by the Dark Gods. Of course, such is the insidious nature of Chaos that it is constantly hunting for weakness in mind and body, testing a character’s defences until it can find a way into his soul. For every 30 Corruption Points a character gains, he must make a Test against two Characteristics of his choice or suffer a random Minor Mutation (see Chapter XIV: Adversaries & Aliens). He may not Test against the same Characteristics twice to resist mutation. A player should make a note on his Character Sheet of which Characteristics he has already Tested to resist mutation.

It literally is built right into it, I can't explain it better than that. It even describes exactly what I am talking about with the slow succumbing to of one's soul to Slaanesh, which the Eldar are susceptible to. You're perfectly welcome to house rule your own method, but it's coming from sources that I'm not using because the 40k novels have many liberties taken with them that do not coincide with the RPG sourcebook lore. I think the bottom line with this is we're going to have to agree to disagree.

You can read this part of the Rulebook only as half of the tale. Mortals see that other become mutated for contact with Chaos stuff and think: mutation: corruption of the Dark Gods. It could be like saying "the people in Cathay do not fall to the sky: the Earth is flat". Of course, Liber Chaotica could be readed as the rantigs of a madman plaything of deamons who search answers to mages in a backwater feudal world in an alternate universe but if mutations are corruption why mutants don't start with Corruption points?

True, but you're using a different system of lore and history. That's like me saying "all the bad guys in Berserk had mutations, and they're totally corrupted mortals, so points to me" from my point of view. It's not really constructive to the argument.

All the bad guys in what?

I can't pretend it's not counter intuitive, but yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, and that's how it officially works. From The Soul Reaver, Pages 4-5

Provided they surrounded themselves with the most vile and decadent acts, these Eldar could abate the curse of Slaanesh, keeping them vital and strong and eluding the passage of time. So it was that the Dark Eldar were born, a race of sadistic murderers who feed upon the anguish of others in order to prevent the slow death of their immortal souls. For the ten millennia since the Fall of the Eldar, the malicious denizens of Commorragh have raided and plundered their way across the galaxy, terrorising and enslaving those they regard as lesser creatures.

The difference is that the outcasts who would normally shield themselves with the Craftworld method described above are rebelling against that, and as such are opening themselves up to the influence. It takes a titanic amount of depravity to function the way the Dark Eldar do, and most Outcasts are not willing to do so. If they are, then they're better off using the Kabalite Warrior path to accurately represent their character than an Eldar Outcast.

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most vile and decadent acts (torturing your slaves), the dark eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls" not mutations.

And, just for joking:

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most control and soulstones, the Craftworlder Eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls"

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most willpower and soulstones, the Outacast Eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls"

One question: how to represent a Eldar Outcast becoming Dark?

Another thing. If you read Navis Primer every Eldar as a empty soulstone but your guide only has stat for full soulstones.

You haven't fixed the redundancies in Path of the Outcast.

And why you have removed Operator Protocols

Generaly speaking poisonus species are immunes to their poisons, first. Second, if you have a voice in your head you have Insanity, not Corruption.

Poisons and corruption are not the same thing, and not like this at all. A more apt comparison is to picture a wire carrying an enormous amount of electricity. This electricity can grant a large amount of power for a civilization to use, but it can also arc off of it very easily, causing lots of damage. Even attempts to ground the wire will not stop this completely because of the enormous amount of energy flowing through it, just ground as much as they can. Your comparison is not appropriate for what we are discussing.

You can read this part of the Rulebook only as half of the tale. Mortals see that other become mutated for contact with Chaos stuff and think: mutation: corruption of the Dark Gods. It could be like saying "the people in Cathay do not fall to the sky: the Earth is flat". Of course, Liber Chaotica could be readed as the rantigs of a madman plaything of deamons who search answers to mages in a backwater feudal world in an alternate universe but if mutations are corruption why mutants don't start with Corruption points?

*sigh* that's not what you mean. What you mean is that YOU are only reading the rulebook as half the tale. And for the record, I've said this a few times now, Black Library books are NOT Rogue Trader lore, and are not being taken into consideration. There's no point in bringing it up, because I'm not using it as a source. It does not qualify as a reputable source for my guides. It is largely divergent from established RPG lore, and I'm keeping my guides standardized to that. This argument is basically "You're not using a book I like, so I'm right and you're wrong" at this point. Again, we're going to have to agree to disagree, and you'll just have to house rule it. And in Rogue Trader it is because playing one of these Human mutants is due to GENETIC ABNORMALITIES. See Rogue Trader, page 26, the Tainted Lure of the Void:

You are vile in the eyes of the holy, declared tainted by your twisted form or marked by your accursed bloodline (Mutant) or your strange demeanour (Insane) and heretical beliefs (Deviant Philosophy).

You will note how these are separated into three categories, specifically explaining the answer to that question. It's allowing human explorers to tackle the point that mutation can come from biological as well as immaterial means, which is why mutants who pick this at the start do not gain the points.

All the bad guys in what?

Exactly, that's how I feel about many of your arguments.

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most vile and decadent acts (torturing your slaves), the dark eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls" not mutations.

And, just for joking:

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most control and soulstones, the Craftworlder Eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls"

"Provided they surrounded themselves with the most willpower and soulstones, the Outacast Eldar could abate the curse of Slaneesh: the slow death of their immortal souls"

Okay, I'm sorry for the slight rudeness in this one, but all right smart mouth, you can say all that 'just for joking' all you want, but I'm using DIRECT QUOTES FROM ROGUE TRADER BOOKS. YOU'RE JUST MAKING STUFF UP BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND A COHESIVE ARGUMENT ELSEWHERE. This is NOT helping your case. and it DOES help against mutations, again from The Soul Reaver, page 98.

While the Eldar understand the threat of all the Chaos Gods as being dire, no single entity poses a greater threat to Eldar existence than Slaanesh. With the Dark Eldar, this manifests itself as a leeching of their spirit, a perpetual drain upon their fundamental essence that cannot be stopped, only delayed. Dark Eldar gain Corruption Points as normal, but do not gain mutations or malignancies; instead, a failed Malignancy Test adds +1 to the number of Pain Tokens the character requires in order to gain an additional Fate Point. This is accompanied by a greater appearance of age and greater frailty when not able to feed—for every failed Malignancy Test, a Dark Eldar Explorer nominates a single Characteristic other than Willpower or a Characteristic that he has nominated in this way before. At the end of any session in which the Dark Eldar character did not gain at least one Pain Token, he suffers 1d5 Willpower Damage, plus 1d5 Damage to any other Characteristics that he has chosen from failed Malignancy Tests. This Damage does not begin to heal until the character has gained at least one Pain Token in a subsequent session.

The actions LITERALLY protect them from it at the cost of their own minds. If they do not gain pain tokens, eventually their willpower reaches 0, which causes them to "collapse into a nightmare filled sleep." (RT p251). Bear in mind that they are still retired from play at 100 corruption, representing their abilities failing to protect themselves.

One question: how to represent a Eldar Outcast becoming Dark?

Should be described in the guide, they begin to succumb to the same desires that brought about Slaanesh in the first place.

Another thing. If you read Navis Primer every Eldar as a empty soulstone but your guide only has stat for full soulstones.

You haven't fixed the redundancies in Path of the Outcast.

Those stats are directly from the Navis Primer. If they're not full, as detailed in the first paragraph of the entry, they do nothing.

And why you have removed Operator Protocols

Actually I did that after I looked back over the Necron statistics. Their Agility is just not that good, and I had already placed enough Talents in the Operator Alternate Rank to compensate for that. The talent just made them a bit ridiculous at piloting and agility based skills, something that none of them are really able to do according to their existing profiles, and I was trying to reflect those.

Before you respond to me again, remember what I said way back at the beginning of this: I'm only using Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch (and possibly Black Crusade and Only War) lore. Anything else is completely irrelevant to me. Any arguments from other sources is not a good argument because it is lore that does not exist as far as my guides are concerned.

First, if you felt instulted by what I've writed I was just trying to be constructive, so if I have insulted you it wasn't my intention and I am sorry.

Second, at the end of my last post I was going to say that your arguments make sense and that depends all about what fluff you incorporate, so I was going to house rule. So, again sorry, my fault.

Those stats are directly from the Navis Primer. If they're not full, as detailed in the first paragraph of the entry, they do nothing.

From how you have writed them the rules for losing your soulstone seems to refer to the empty soulstone that every Eldar possess.

And again, sorry if I have insulted you, I have never meant it

I'm sorry too, re-reading that post it comes off a lot more hostile than I meant it to. My sincerest apologies for that, you have nothing to apologize for at all, it's entirely my fault. It's not that you're wrong in any way for wanting to incorporate that side of things, it's just that it opens up the floodgates of different sources. If I started including Liber Chaotica I'd have to then look into including what exists in the Farseer and Outcast novels, the various Chaos Marine books, the various Dark Heresy novels probably have some minor details too. These can all be great sources, but for the foundation it needs to be congruous with the other products of the Rogue Trader line, and then everyone can tweak it to how they perceive the universe.

And I truly do appreciate all the feedback you've been giving, it's been a monumental help to the process of refining these guides, and made everything hundreds of times easier. I truly can't express in words how much help it has been. And just so you know you've not offended me in any way whatsoever, this is just an issue for me because of some of the games I've run and player's I've had, and I still have some problems keeping a cool head over it. It's stupid and illogical and I've been trying to work through it for a long time now, but it seems I've still got a lot of work to do. Again I'm incredibly sorry, I was way over the line.

Which redundancies in "The Path of the Outcast" were you referring to? I definitely want to get those handled as soon as possible.

In regards to the Spirit Stone, I meant for that to apply to both since the Seer is responsible for the souls of their people until they can return them to the Infinity Circuit, but given that it is broken up that could use some clarification I'll have to add in a "this applies to both states of the stone section", and I was considering adding in "When not full this counts as a charm" for the empty Spirit Stone, since it does give peace of mind knowing you won't be eaten by Slaanesh when you die. Do you think those would be an accurate representation?

While I've said it above I'll say it again, thank you immeasurably for reading and helping with these guides. I'll be getting to work on the edits first thing in the morning!

Apologies accepted.

Which redundancies in "The Path of the Outcast" were you referring to? I definitely want to get those handled as soon as possible.

I was refering to the fact that the 2° paragraph at page 27 and the 3° paragraph at page 28 repeat themeself.

And about the Corsair becoming Dark I've forgotten to say that I was asking the differencies before and after the transformation.

I was refering to the fact that the 2° paragraph at page 27 and the 3° paragraph at page 28 repeat themeself.

You're completely right, I totally missed that. I'm working on redoing that section now!

And about the Corsair becoming Dark I've forgotten to say that I was asking the differencies before and after the transformation.

The transformation would largely be a behavioral one. Instead of the more reserved and aloof mindset that most Eldar exhibit, it would steadily become more and more passionate and involved. The more their mind becomes exposed to the horrors of the galaxy (Insanity), the more Eldar embrace the emotional experience of everything they do. As they fall closer and closer to Slaanesh (Corruption), they would become more twisted and deviant in their passions. They would not be able to resist the calling of the God of Excess, and their behaviors would reflect that. Perhaps they over-indulge in consumption, becoming huge and complacent. Perhaps they over-indulge in pleasure, becoming addicted to the lusts of the flesh. Perhaps they revel in the suffering of others, and begin a campaign of sadistic torture and death that will be sung about for many generations to come.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head. The exact specifics would depend on the character. For Insanity a basic guideline would be to have the character become more emotional and full of passion as they gain Insanity. A basic guideline for corruption would be take their vices and indulgences and begin exaggerating their desire for them exponentially as more are gained.

I'm going through the edits now and should have them done by tonight!

One question, what does mean this passage of the Tyranid Charcter Guide?

Which Hive Fleet they are originally from could also be a driving force of their story. One advantage to the Ymgarl subset of Genestealers is that they are not limited purely to the planet Ymgarl. Their genetic mutation is a more common one than the Imperium is aware, and can be explained as coming from any Hive Fleet. As such any existing Hive Fleet, or any that the GM may have placed in or around the Koronus Expanse could have been their progenitors.

That to understand which Hive Fleet is the Ymgarls progenitor could be the charcter goal or that an Ymgarl could come from differents Hive Fleets?

Another thing, in page 3 of the Tyranid Character Guide it said that Genestealer could resist hard vacuum. Is this obsolete now?

And how to represent Hybrid?

Another thing, you haven't fixed feeding tendrils.

Alwais about Ymgarls, Perfected Disguise at page 18 says:

By taking this talent twice, up to to alternate forms can be mastered.

I think there is an error in "up to to".

Sorry for taking so long to get back. The latest revisions to the Eldar Character Guide are up, and I've reworked the Spirit Stone text and clarified that each path only starts with one empty one, which now counts as a charm.

That to understand which Hive Fleet is the Ymgarls progenitor could be the charcter goal or that an Ymgarl could come from differents Hive Fleets?

The answer to that is an emphatic yes on both counts. A character goal could be to find their origin fleet for some reason, and Ymgarl may come from different Hive fleets. The Imperium only has speculation of their origin fleet, and any hope of finding any conclusive evidence was well burned away by the Salamanders.

Speaking of the Tyranid Character Guide, I've been working on some major revisions to the Tyranid Character Guide, including the edits from your last posts! (Thank you again for those), and am including lore on different Tyranid Bioforms, and will be working on Tyranid Starship Rules in the next few days.

Okay, the revisions to the Tyranid Character Guide have been completed! It has almost doubled in length, and now includes the following revisions:

Minor visual changes, cleaning up, and updates
Added additional Tyranid Biomorph Profiles
Add Tyranid Starship Rules to end of guide
Added Ymgarl Fleetmaster Alternate Rank

I'd love to hear feedback on the accuracy of Tyranid Starship conversion. I just recently got a copy of Battlefleet Gothic and Armada to read through, but I think I managed to grasp how the other ships were converted fairly well, but it's just a first attempt.

One question, how to narrate the Xenos spaceships? How is the webway and how are the innards of a Tyranid spaceship?

And another thing, what acquisition tests for Tyranid gear and spaceship components rapresent? I doubt you can find a Zoantropic Shielding in the market.

The Webway remains the same as it does to Human Explorers. the Innards of a Tyranid Spaceship I'm leaving purely up to the discretion of the GM. There's varying pictures of it all over the internet, so for the sake of consistency I'm leaving it up to the imagination. If it helps picture it, I've always seen them very much like what occurs when the Xenomorphs in the Aliens franchise begin to take over an area.

In regards to purchasing them, utilize the same stats and rules presented in the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook and Battlefleet Koronus, with whatever modifiers seem appropriate. All the basic components would fall under "Xeno-Tech or components costing more than 2 SP" as detailed in Battlefleet Koronus. Generally finding them will be incredibly difficult on the market, though possibly might be located on a borderline heretical Forge World from curious Magos Biologi. They also make for great adventure hooks/rewards since they're very hard to find.

Update: The Necron Character Guide has now been updated, and now has Necron Starship Hulls! Feedback is always appreciated, and a summation of edits is included below.

Minor graphical changes and cleanups, additional graphics added
Redid Necron Starships Section
Added Necron Starship Hulls Section
Necron Operator re-named to Harvestmaster

Wow, just as I was wishing for ideas about craftworders, I find this page. Really amazing, can't believe you found the time to put all this together. I only wish I was skilled enough to contribute, but I had enough trouble modifying RT Tau to work in Deathwatch. Still, you should be congratulated. Between these 3 I think we've got every major faction in the universe covered now by one RPG or another.

Thank you.

(Umm, haven't looked through the full thing yet, but where did you find all this lore? Is it all copied from other books, or the wiki? Is some of of it hand-written by you? And also, where do you stand on Isha? I thought there healing goddess had survived too, being captured by Nurgle.

Edited by Ramellan

Aaand now I'm turned off. Ugh, was so into the Eldar for a couple days there. Then I picked up the Path of the Eldar omnibus and Uuuugh, the grimdark. So much grimdark. Now I remember why I make my own stories, I can have all the fluff-breaking happy endings I please. Well, I guess I'm still going to need these guides so I can dream of more sappy stories. So still thank you. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Most of the lore is from the Rogue Trader books, but there is also some stuff from the 40k wikia and Lexicanum, and in the case of the Necrons in the Expanse, Necron Harvestmaster, the Tyranids in the Expanse, Ymgarl Tyranid alternate ranks I wrote those myself. I actually hadn't read anything on Isha or found anything pertaining to it in the RT lore, but there's nothing against it in the guides, so it's fair game if you want to use it. If I have the time to read up on her, I might put in a more involved page for her and the other remaining Eldar gods.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the overly grim dark, but remember that the official take on a lot of it is that it's all canon, no matter how contradictory, so you can pick and choose what you like and disregard the rest.

Let me know how your using it goes, if you find anything that might need changing or clarification, of if there's anything you might want to contribute! I really appreciate the thanks, it means a lot that people enjoy the guides.

For the Necrons ... maybe this is just me, but they don't use the Warp - or Warp-based technology - at all; I'd cast their Dolmen Gate network more like slipspace than the Webway, and so if you fail a Nav test, you don't end up in a breached section of the Webway, you missed/messed up a decision point and reentered realspace somewhere you weren't planning on going to, and instead of Warp travel ... not quite sure how to work it, Nav(Stellar) for inertialess drive jumps within a given range/distance, because you can only go so far in a straight line without needing to avoid something in realspace, fail the test and you screwed up your calculations/missed some sort of celestial body and get forced out of FTL early or miss your target destination and stay in FTL too long.

Might pull the Nav(stellar) over to the Tyranids as well, only they'd move slower than the 'Crons, since they're moving through/manipulating realspacetime, not the Warp itself.

Or, at least ... that was before the "everybody uses the Warp/Webway" nonsense started happening in blatant contradiction of everything.

I expected to hate the Tyranid character class.

But then I read it...and I find myself in love! Seven of Nine as vampiric shape shifting space Illithid! I approve.

Of course, the PC who wants to play them said: "Can I look like Sarah Kerrigan?"

And I said, "...maybe."

Javcs, You might be right, I've only had a look at the Lexicanum, 40kwikia, Battlefleet Gothic, and Rogue Trader/Deathwatch lore in regards to Necrons. In BFG there's nothing about the particulars of their FTL travel, just that they don't use the Warp. In Rogue Trader/Deathwatch it isn't really covered too in depth either, and so I had to go with what was presented in the reference sites, which has references to the 5th edition codex versions of Necron space travel where they utilize the webway. With that I decided to use the existing rules I had made for Eldar webway travel, since it would funciton in much the same way.

Tyranids normally do travel at sublight speeds after reaching the edge of systems, a limitation of the FTL travel that they use in the form of the Narvhal Bio Ship, which can translate Hive Fleets to the edge of systems and then allows the ships to progress utilizing sublight drives, which is where their normal delay comes in, referenced from the 5th edition codex. I decided to give the Tyranid Ships presented in my guide all modified Narvhal drives, which would function similar to the Warp drives and allow the ships to function like the rest of the ships in terms of travel time, but also be more vulnerable to the dangers.

Those were mostly design decisions based around making sure the Necron and Tyranid ships were unique but not incredibly overpowered or too divergent from existing rules, to make them compatible but not so good that they would replace existing vehicles, starships, and vessels.

Zoombie, I'm glad you liked it! The Tyranid guide was the hardest one to create since there were no real guidelines or options for Alternate Ranks, and the shapeshifting mechanic was built from the ground up. Let me know how the using it goes and if there are any things that wind up being balance issues or unclear. My goal has been to have these guides be equivalent in power level to the rest of Rogue Trader and change them if they aren't, and also be available if there are any questions.

I've unfortunately had real world responsibilities come back to take up a lot of time, but I've got a few ideas for additions to the Eldar Character Guide that I'm working on, though I'm unsure when I'd be able to add them in.

Hey. Been reading through the Eldar guide some more. Not a professional critic here, but your art choices are really amazing.

Anyway, got two questions for you. First of all, Craftworld Kaelor. I tried to look them up, but the info I found on the net seems different than what you've written. Like the official stuff was in the past. Did you do that? Not complaining, I like Kaelor overall, just wondering.

Second question is a bit more of a complaint, though. Craftworld Eldar don't seem to get as many unique traits as other Xenos races. I see the one dealing with agility, and the paths of the past trait, but that's it. Am I missing any? Or is it something else?

Thanks for the compliment Ramellan! Google image search is a wonderful thing.

In answer to your questions, Craftworld Kaelor is in the Calixis Sector, not the Koronus Expanse. All the lore that I utilized was from the Rogue Trader line, which doesn't delve too much into the Calixis Sector itself, so there may be discrepancies. I also don't really follow the tabletop, so it might be a discrepancy there as well. I decided not to have the craftworlds be a big part of the guide because there aren't really any but one in the Expanse, and it's not exactly doing very well at the moment! A big part of the Expanse is that there's a large 'anything goes' mentality, so I decided to use their inherent warp connection as the basis for character creation instead. There's nothing wrong with having them be an outcast or pathfinder from any craftworld of your choice, however! I just decided to leave that part up to the imagination of the players and GMs.

That's actually by virtue of the fact that I tried to make their career path as simply as I possibly could, which required much less tweaking due to the sheer number of examples available in the system to go off of. The Paths of Ages Past and several of the custom talents were the easiest way to represent the existing book examples without making them too divergent on the power scale. Additionally, the Eldar Outcast career path has the best Eldar trait of all: versatility. You can become incredibly proficient in a huge number of areas with that path, reflecting the shifting drives that Eldar feel as they progress through the paths throughout their lifetime, even before factoring in Alternate Ranks. The Seer has a little less versatility, but can can some incredibly powerful and specialized powers and talents as well, which seemed enough, and as such I personally felt it was an accurate representation. That's the reason behind that decision.

I hope a month is not too long in which to post in a thread but I have a question for Lodgeblackman99.

Why are there Career Paths for Necrons and Tyranids... but Tau are nowhere to be seen? Now I can understand why you made one for Eldar, though I admit to being leery of the idea of any sane and intelligent Rogue Trader allowing a Necron or Tyranid onto their ship though I can understand the appeal, but the one xenos that can arguably be the most trustworthy and considerably more safe then most others is not an available anywhere with any great detail or usage. This being why I am surprised and disappointed not to see them here.

I ask this because I am honestly impressed greatly by your work and wonder if you might be willing to consider another write up, especially if I offer a commission payment of sort? That is... if you're willing to consider creating a list of Origin Path options, skills, talents, and a Career Path for each of the four main Castes? (Understandably leaving out the Ethereals)

Edited by TravellingStroyteller