Kroot and Ork Player Characters

By nethru, in Black Crusade House Rules

Easier to use the standard Rouge Trader rules for character creation & advance, and the Black Crusade rules as managing the game (like social encounter, combat and so)

Easier to use the standard Rouge Trader rules for character creation & advance, and the Black Crusade rules as managing the game (like social encounter, combat and so)

Yep fully agree, if you don't want to role-play them in Rogue Trader just add 100 corruption points to them and use the conversion rules in Black Crusade and wala you have your Ork or Kroot Black Crusade character.

Yep fully agree, if you don't want to role-play them in Rogue Trader just add 100 corruption points to them and use the conversion rules in Black Crusade and wala you have your Ork or Kroot Black Crusade character.

Only Orks generally aren't supposed to gain Corruption due to their biology.

Kroot technically can become corrupted. It is rare, but enough time around Chaos cultists (and more likely, enough of them eaten), and they can fall. Until that point, I'd play them as they are in RT as opposed to BC, but like was said above, if they have become corrupted, just use the rules given for converting them. Orks though...

While you CAN have an Ork who worships Khorne (there have been a handful in older fluff), they really gain no power, benefit, or corruption for it, being the Ork version of rebellious teenagers mainly, and almost always go back to Gork and Mork when they become older and "wiser". Given their rules, it would really take an astronomical amount of focused taint to even make a minor mark of corruption on an Ork, meaning using BC rules for them would be mechanical only, with guesstimated assignments of which god is more appropriate to the Ork's play style to dictate advancement costs for skills and talents.

Though a Dark God like, again, Khorne may benefit and appreciate their violence, Orks and Chaos are almost outside of each other, and virtually non-compatible. If you want the non-linear advancement system for them, you'd be better off using aptitudes from Only War and applying ones you feel make sense to the Ork characters, so they aren't stuck with a linear Career Class while everyone else in the game has more flexibility (though really, being an Ork, it would make sense they'd be somewhat linear, given most of their knowledge is simply genetic anyways)

Most of the stuff I got was from RT but the base for the race itself I got from Tome of Blood as the Orks/Kroot seem a bit different there than the ones in RT. I did not want to use class system but keep it generic like Black Crusade/Only War. Was just going to make them always Unaligned for exp spending purpose except for some Attributes. Not even sure if anyone would play one in my game was just throwing the idea around :)

Orks can still gain corruption in Rogue Trader exactly the same way as other characters.

While they don't suffer from mutations or malignancies like their human counterparts you still have only two options once they reach the 100 point threshold, either remove them from the game or have your self a stompin' good time as a Kaos Boy.

The idea for assigning relevant Only War aptitudes also works and is a good idea if you don't want to have a Chaos worshipping ork or don't like the concept, of course if you don't want to play a Kaos Boy maybe there's not a lot of point in playing Black Crusade as an ork........

Orks can still gain corruption in Rogue Trader exactly the same way as other characters.

While they don't suffer from mutations or malignancies like their human counterparts you still have only two options once they reach the 100 point threshold, either remove them from the game or have your self a stompin' good time as a Kaos Boy.

The idea for assigning relevant Only War aptitudes also works and is a good idea if you don't want to have a Chaos worshipping ork or don't like the concept, of course if you don't want to play a Kaos Boy maybe there's not a lot of point in playing Black Crusade as an ork........

Actually they don't. I have a copy of Into the Storm with me, and they don't gain an ounce of Corruption at all. In older fluff (Original Rogue Trader era) yeah, but not so much these days. They don't even gain mental trauma for insanity until they get to 100 Insanity Points, at which time they are simply removed from play (which may be what you are thinking of).

That said, even if they aren't Kaos Boyz, there is still plenty of reason to have Orky players, in fact, it makes more sense in Black Crusade than it does in Rogue Trader. Orks and "dem 'umies wit da spikey bitz" work together all the time, typically when Chaos needs the extra brute force they provide. Just because it is almost impossible to corrupt one doesn't mean they can't be buddies with the forces of Chaos, so long as they have a mutual enemy around to thump at least. Chaos heretics likely won't even bat an eye at there being Orks, Dark Eldar, Kroot, or other foul xenos around (unlike Imperial forces) making xenos, mutants, abhumans, etc, far easier to play in that setting (Ogryn of Khorne anybody?).

If you want an Ork, but don't want a Free Booter from Rogue Trader, just grab a mook type NPC from Only War or Black Crusade similar enough in balance to other characters in the party, give him some Aptitudes, and there ya go.

Edited by Crow Eye

You are correct, I had forgotten that bit.

I guess you need to house rule it if you want to give an ork 100 corruption.